Peanut butter

Old December 6th 03, 04:39 AM
JennP

Default Peanut butter

"Clare L"

DS is 15 months - diagnosed at about 5 months tho I had my suspicions

before
that he poor weight gain was due to milk allergy. That and rash he got on

few occasions I tried him with a tiny bit of formula after 3 months. He

knew
it was bad for him as he screamed the place down after a sip or two. Rash
also appeared when he grabbed his big sisters milk. I went completely

dairy
free, he grew like a mad thing. At 11 months the ped said Ok to try him on

tiny bit of dairy to see if it still affected him. It didn't and he put on
even more weight.

Ah, I'm glad he's outgrown it.

Hope your son grows out of his allergy. I know a woman whose little girl

had
anaphalatic reaction to milk but at the age of 2 she was fine with it.

My friend's daughter had an anaphylatic reaction to egg just under a year.
She just tested negative at three, but they are still being careful. So far,
no anaphylaxis here with ds and the peanuts, but each exposure brought more
severe hives. We can only avoid it.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old December 6th 03, 08:53 AM
Herself

iphigenia wrote:

New York Jen wrote:

What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in
case, but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the
form of smooth peanut butter).

Goodness. That's awfully early. I wouldn't give a child who had no allergies
peanut butter until at least 18-24 months. Dr. Sears says 18 mos for peanut
butter, fwiw.

I heard...somewhere...that it should hold off til 3 years. That's for
kids with no food allergies.
--
'Tis Herself
Old December 7th 03, 08:37 AM
Tine Andersen

"Richard" skrev i en meddelelse
This is an excellent point, Jenn. As others have pointed out, first

contact
with an allergen may be relatively mild. A young child can't tell you

that
his mouth tingles, or that his throat suddenly feels dry.

We're holding off on all nuts until Micaela is three. There are plenty of
other new and exciting tastes for her to sample in the meantime.

Especially peanuts, I would say. Is it at all necessary for a diet to have
peanuts in it.

It is one of the food items that most easily gives allergy. Why not
eliminate it altogether?

In Denmark it is only used salted for snacks. And used in lousy kakes
because it is so much cheaper that almonds. We do have peanut butter placed
in a weird shelf with other fancy foreign stuff. Kids here have never had a
peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich.

Tine, Denmark

Old December 7th 03, 04:37 PM
Nevermind

"New York Jen" wrote
What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in case,
but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the form of smooth
peanut butter).

And let me add on a question: what about the breastfeeding mom? I LOVE
peanut butter and eat it regularly. It's too late to worry now --
she's my third, and she's 11 months, but it is now recommended that
breastfeeding moms with no history of allergies avoid eating peanuts
and PB themselves? The peanut allergy is a scary one. . .

Thanks!
Old December 7th 03, 06:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Tine Andersen wrote:

Is it at all necessary for a diet to have
peanuts in it.

In the US, it's hard to avoid things that potentially could
have peanuts (as opposed to those that intentionally contain
peanuts). So it's really hard to be truly peanut-free here.
I'm going on the theory that incidental exposure is
unlikely to affect Caterpillar through my milk, because if I
didn't, I'd have to go insane.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

cocoa butter comparisons (LONG and X-posted) melizabeth Pregnancy 10 May 20th 04 03:05 AM
Reintroduction with Peanut #2 Threnody Pregnancy 10 February 18th 04 03:03 AM
Peanut allergies on rise in children JG Kids Health 0 December 9th 03 08:50 PM
Peanut introduction Cheryl S. General 30 November 7th 03 01:35 AM
Peanut butter Leanne Pregnancy 16 November 4th 03 09:39 PM