Will / Can my toddler's red hair change color?

Old June 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default Will / Can my toddler's red hair change color?

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
we have the exact same situation, our daughter also has red hair and
neither of us do, but nor did we as children, we keep thinking her hair
is changing colour, but it never actually does, I guess she will keep us
guessing for a few more years!

Ann, how old is your daughter?

Do you get comments all the time about her "beautiful hair"?

One of my daughter's gets that a lot: she has auburn hair, not bright
red, but reddy-brown. The worst place at the hairdressers, where her hair
colour is frequently commented on (and my other daughter's hair
is mostly ignored: I'm sure they think of them as "the girl with the
gorgeous hair, and the other one" :-) ).

It's irritating when that happens. #2 has very curly hair-ringletted down to
her shoulders. She continuously gets comments on her hair. #1 has gorgeous
long hair, down to her waist, wavy, but not very curled and a beautiful
thickness. She doesn't get many comments. (they're similar colour). I can't
really work it out because #1's hair is fantastic and she can do a lot of
different things with it. #2 can only really have a little taken back from
her face and I suspect she is going to get very irritated with it when she
wants to do anything other than have it loose. She needs it put into a bun
for her ballet show at the end of term and I can't think how I'm going to
get it all back at all, let alone a bun!
Personally I wish that people wouldn't comment on #2's hair. It makes her
self-conscious, and #1 has started being aware of her looks and it makes her
think that her hair's not right.
Debbie

Old June 19th 07, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Kearns

"Welches" wrote in message
It's irritating when that happens. #2 has very curly hair-ringletted down
to her shoulders. She continuously gets comments on her hair. #1 has
gorgeous long hair, down to her waist, wavy, but not very curled and a
beautiful thickness. She doesn't get many comments. (they're similar
colour). I can't really work it out because #1's hair is fantastic and she
can do a lot of different things with it. #2 can only really have a little
taken back from her face and I suspect she is going to get very irritated
with it when she wants to do anything other than have it loose. She needs
it put into a bun for her ballet show at the end of term and I can't think
how I'm going to get it all back at all, let alone a bun!

My ballerina is 17 now, and handles her own long ringletted hair. But when
she was younger we learned you start wet, get it into a pony tail, then
twist it, now curl it around the base of the pony tail using bobby pins
every inch or so. Once you sort of have it in a bun shaped look you slap
one of those cheap hairnets that come in her hair color you get at the drug
store. Pull the hair net out, twist it, cover the bun again. Continue
until all the netting is on the bun. For my daughter's hair it was two or
three layers. Then start with the bobby pins again. Fifty bobby pins isn't
too many. Now, with gel, slick back the hair that got free from the front.
Bobby pin again. Now pull out the hair spray. Cheap hair spray like Aqua
Net works bets. Spray the whole head until hard. It's never fallen out.

Old June 19th 07, 06:02 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:30:07 GMT, Cathy Kearns wrote:

"Welches" wrote in message
[...]

I need to try to remember all this for when DD needs it. Now, is the
netting very visible after having been twisted on so many times?
Old June 19th 07, 11:29 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
. net...

"Welches" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you! I'll get some more pins-#1 only needs half a dozen or so to hold
hers in well enough for lessons, and some better spray. I think I've gel
from #1's last show, but the spray she had wasn't very good.
Off to the chemists!
Debbie

Old June 19th 07, 01:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Nancy

On Jun 17, 7:49 pm, wrote:
Neither my wife nor I have red hair so we were really surprised when
our daughter was born with red hair. She's now 18 months and it's
still red. My mom says my hair was red when I was a baby and then it
went blonde and then brown and now it's very dark. So we're debating
if our daughter's hair will change color or not. Everyone loves her
red hair so we're hoping it doesn't change.

hey if ur mom saying u were like her when u were a baby then dont wory
most probably its heridity but still log into http://www.mybaby.com/Playground/Type/Post
for more advice as its a large community of young mothers they might
just have some remedy.

Old June 19th 07, 01:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Tracey" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
I thought I was the only one who had a dark haired child where the
hair turned blond!!

My DD, too. She was born with dark hair, then when she was a couple months
old it all fell out and grew back blonde.
Now that she is 10, it is getting darker and darker again.

That's not what happened with me. My son was one of my two children
who was born with hair. (Bald is easier on the mom BTW even while
people think they are boys because of it.) Both of them had dark hair
when born. DS did not lose his hair. It actually grew in lighter. He
had blond roots. He was blond throughout childhood. Now it is medium
brown.

Holding his niece
http://p.vtourist.com/3073723-Travel...e-grandmaR.jpg
Old June 19th 07, 03:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Cathy Kearns

"toypup" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:30:07 GMT, Cathy Kearns wrote:
I need to try to remember all this for when DD needs it. Now, is the
netting very visible after having been twisted on so many times?

If you get those ones that are really cheap at say, Longs or WalGreens, they
come in lots of colors, and you can sort of match the color of their hair.
Then you can't see them at all.

Old June 19th 07, 05:34 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Jun 17, 10:36 pm, wrote:
Hi Em, my wife is half Chinese so like you, saying we were surprised
was an understatement! My wife says when she's out in public with
out daughter that people were thinking she was the babysitter!

Oh yes, I get this all the time. People ask me if I'm the nanny
(there are *lots* of nannies around here). I used to get annoyed,
until I saw another dark-haired dark-skinned woman with a very fair
child at the doctor's office. *I* almost asked her whose kid it
was... (He was hers.) Our second has dark hair with reddish
highlights; it's getting lighter, but it's nothing like his
brother's. Comparison pics at http://www.xanga.com/emilymr/588571745/item.html

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04; Shiloh, 4/22/07

Old June 20th 07, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
"Tracey" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
. ..
I thought I was the only one who had a dark haired child where the
hair turned blond!!

My DD, too. She was born with dark hair, then when she was a couple
months
old it all fell out and grew back blonde.
Now that she is 10, it is getting darker and darker again.

That's not what happened with me. My son was one of my two children
who was born with hair. (Bald is easier on the mom BTW even while
people think they are boys because of it.) Both of them had dark hair
when born. DS did not lose his hair. It actually grew in lighter. He
had blond roots. He was blond throughout childhood. Now it is medium
brown.

Why is being bald easier on the mum? Do you mean when pregnant?
Debbie (who's had 3 born with a reasonable head of hair)

Old June 21st 07, 02:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Welches" wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
"Tracey" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
I thought I was the only one who had a dark haired child where the
hair turned blond!!

My DD, too. She was born with dark hair, then when she was a couple
months
old it all fell out and grew back blonde.
Now that she is 10, it is getting darker and darker again.

That's not what happened with me. My son was one of my two children
who was born with hair. (Bald is easier on the mom BTW even while
people think they are boys because of it.) Both of them had dark hair
when born. DS did not lose his hair. It actually grew in lighter. He
had blond roots. He was blond throughout childhood. Now it is medium
brown.

Why is being bald easier on the mum? Do you mean when pregnant?
Debbie (who's had 3 born with a reasonable head of hair)

Because it is easier to keep their heads clean.if you don't have hair
to shampoo.