postpartum crash

Old May 25th 04, 05:47 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default postpartum crash

I have thyroid disease and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I responded very
well to treatment for both of these things and had reached a very
healthy point before pregnancy. During pregnancy I did not need
medication adjustments and felt well, despite my allergies becoming much
more severe, and a mild case of symphysis pubis dysfunction.

Postpartum I did very well for the first couple of weeks. My c-section
incision healed very well with a tiny scar and very little pain. I
dropped 30 lbs in the first two weeks.

Well shortly after that I crashed. Little sleep, bad nutrition and an
inability to stay on my medication and supplement regimen due to the
insane sleep (or lack thereof) schedule of caring for a newborn whiped
me out. My allergies did not lessen back to pre-pregnancy levels and I
began nursing an ear infection which my body was trying to fight off on
its own.

Shortly after that though I had to have two wisdom teeth removed and my
body lost the battle with the ear infections. They ravaged me - the very
next morning I was full on into teeth-chattering chills of a
sweat-drenching 102 degree fever. After two extra strength tylenol I was
down to 99.1. My regular temp is in the 97's! I haven't had an ear
infection since I was a small child.

Luckily I was given some antibiotics as part of the routine with the
teeth extractions and it knocked the ear infection(s) down to manageable
levels again. I'm hoping they don't return full swing. The head pounding
migraines were devestating.

I also appear to now have very arthritic hips and pelvis. I am stiff and
sore after rising from a sitting position, and walking around the
grocery store is an ordeal which makes the stiffness and pain even worse
the next time I rise from a seat. I bought my Logan (who is now 6.5
weeks old) a play gym that you set up on the floor, and I sat down to
supervise and encourage his play. After a couple of minutes I realized I
could not rise because my hips were virtually locked and moving was
excruciating. It took me about 5 full minutes to rock myself over onto
my knees so I could stand up.

Since I've never had a baby before I have no idea how much pain and
bother are normal postpartum. Will the hip/pelvis discomfort decrease
with time or am I now stuck hobbling around like an old lady? I'm only 27!

Old May 25th 04, 06:45 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

Since I've never had a baby before I have no idea how much pain and
bother are normal postpartum. Will the hip/pelvis discomfort decrease
with time or am I now stuck hobbling around like an old lady? I'm only 27!

It's hard to say. Some women have no problems, but
others do take a few months to feel like their hips are back
to rights. I don't think the fact that you're still having
problems now is necessarily an indication that something's
wrong that will not fix itself in the relatively near future.
If it hangs on for another month or two, though, I would
definitely get it checked out. (And you could certainly
have it checked sooner.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 25th 04, 06:47 PM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote

Since I've never had a baby before I have no idea how much pain and
bother are normal postpartum. Will the hip/pelvis discomfort decrease
with time or am I now stuck hobbling around like an old lady? I'm only 27!

I have been wondering how you are, Shena. Sorry to hear you're having
problems and I hope you feel better soon! I have no idea if the hip
discomfort is normal, have you asked your doctor? I haven't experienced
anything like that but my doctor told me it takes about 2 months for your
body to adjust back. I am still very sore from my stitches from the tear and
episiotomy I had. On the form I filled out for the new ob, it asked what
method of postpartum birth control we are using and I put "stitches"-- ouch,
I can't even imagine "being romantic" any time soon. A lot of people tell me
they were ready to go again by 2-3 weeks postpartum, so everyone is
different.....maybe your body is just still in recovery. I wish you well and
hope you feel much better soon! I know what you mean about the insane sleep,
we are in the same boat! That can make you feel much worse, too.

Jill

Old May 25th 04, 09:09 PM
Coccinella

(((((Shena))))),
I am experinecing exactly the same pain and Alexandra is now 9 ww. Today
it's even worse.
I am off to take some Advils and hope that they work!
Pampering vibes to you.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 25th 04, 09:26 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

I can't even imagine "being romantic" any time soon. A lot of people tell me
they were ready to go again by 2-3 weeks postpartum, so everyone is

Ouch! Stitches... I can imagine.

With my c-section, it healed so well... we were having sex 4 days
postpartum. Rare occurrence these days though as the baby is so
demanding and I am paranoid about him waking up and interrupting things.

different.....maybe your body is just still in recovery.

I hope so. I hope it goes away!

Old May 25th 04, 10:38 PM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
With my c-section, it healed so well... we were having sex 4 days
postpartum.

Wow! I am glad to hear it healed well. I don't know why I was SO terrified
of having a c-section, almost everyone I know who's had them has had no
problems. Almost everyone. But when they mentioned to me that I was close to
needing one I was just so terrified. I don't know how long my bottom is
going to be this sore!! They gave me 800mg Motrin and also some Percocet but
I don't really take either. The Percocet never helped, it made some aches go
away but it didn't help with the pain that was the problem, which is the
sharp stinging pain only where my stitches are inside me. The Motrin helped
better but since my swelling has gone down I don't take it either. Pain
medication just doesn't work on a tiny concentrated area. I had much better
relief from applying cold packs.

But anyway i do hope you get to feeling much better, both of you, Shena and
Nicky!

Jill

Old May 26th 04, 02:16 AM
Unadulterated Me

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

Since I've never had a baby before I have no idea how much pain and
bother are normal postpartum. Will the hip/pelvis discomfort decrease
with time or am I now stuck hobbling around like an old lady? I'm only 27!

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it does become very bad post partum if
you suffer from it. It's common for womin to get their first flare post
partum as well. Pregnancy with it's immune supresing hormones keeps the
auto immune attacks of RA under control, and when those hormones leave
the body in the weeks following birth the antibodies start attacking
your soft tissue again around your joints. You should try to see a
Rhuematologist and have some blood work done. Some ibuprofen may help
you out in the mean time.

Andrea
Old May 27th 04, 12:30 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Unadulterated Me wrote:

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it does become very bad post partum if
you suffer from it. It's common for womin to get their first flare post
partum as well.

You know, that really scares me... I just read a website about RA and it
lists some symptoms as:

* Loss of appetite
* Fever
* Loss of energy
* Anemia

Well I have no appetite since the baby was born, which is sometimes
normal for moms so I wasn't worried, plus my appetite had been
nonexistent (except during pregnancy) since starting metformin in 2002.
I was borderline anemic for some time before becoming pregnant and have
been on iron for about a year and a half trying to get iron levels up,
but it persists. My energy levels are also chronically low which I
blamed on my thyroid disease.

What really strikes me though is the fever - about two weeks ago I was
suddenly stricken with a 102 degree fever (which I haven't had since I
was a child) which I assumed must be due to an ear infection because I
had a lot of fluid buildup in one ear.. that was never confirmed by
testing though. I never went to the dr. I just took the week of
antibiotics prescribed by my dentist after a tooth extraction.

Also I have thyroid disease which is probably autoimmune which makes me
susceptible to other autoimmune disease.

Grr... and my medical insurance expires at the end of June!

Old May 29th 04, 01:00 PM
Sophie

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
Jill wrote:

I can't even imagine "being romantic" any time soon. A lot of people

tell me
they were ready to go again by 2-3 weeks postpartum, so everyone is

Ouch! Stitches... I can imagine.

With my c-section, it healed so well... we were having sex 4 days
postpartum. Rare occurrence these days though as the baby is so
demanding and I am paranoid about him waking up and interrupting things.

Your lochia was already gone after 4 days?? I've *never* heard of that. At
4 days post-partum I was still in the hospital too, hardly a romantic
setting.

Old May 29th 04, 08:52 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Sophie wrote:

Your lochia was already gone after 4 days?? I've *never* heard of that. At
4 days post-partum I was still in the hospital too, hardly a romantic
setting.

I didn't say that. I said my c-section was healing just fine.

I had lochia until about 6 weeks pp.