Solids, 2 Months and Eating Cereal?

Old May 29th 04, 09:31 PM
Puester

Default Solids, 2 Months and Eating Cereal?

Naomi Rivkis wrote:

In general it's too early, but to some extent it depends on the child.
My mother started feeding me cereal in addition to formula when I was
2 months old because I was a huge and very hungry baby and no matter
how much formula I was getting, it wasn't enough. The pediatrician
told her, "The babies don' t ead the books. If you've got a hungry
baby, feed her what makes her stop being hungry."

Naomi

My son (born in '75) was large for the times and stayed in the
hospital 5 days due to a rash that proved completely harmless.
They began feeding him cereal at 4 days because he was "starving
1/2 hour after feeding". He ate ravenously until age two when
he modified. He's been very healthy-lean ever since.

gloria p
Old May 29th 04, 11:18 PM
Naomi Rivkis

On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:33:42 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

I'm not saying your husband's asthma/allergies *weren't* caused by early
solids. But my husband is the poster boy of anti-atopy, and he never
received a drop of breastmilk and, given his age (46), I'm sure he was fed
cereal and other solids at a very early age. So really, you just never know.

I would be the poster girl equivalent. I not only have no allergies, I
don't even have the 'allergic-type' reactions almost everyone has. I
don't react at all to poison ivy, mosquito bites or bee stings (I feel
the stinger when it goes in, but the poison doesn't affect me). I also
didn't catch so much as a cold till I was five, and have had maybe
half a dozen since, and I'm 34. I was fed formula from day 1, with
cereal starting at 2 months. No, it's not the way to bet, and I don't
intend to do it with my daughter -- you play the odds in your child's
favor when you can. But it's a matter of odds, not absolutes.

Naomi
Old May 30th 04, 12:23 AM
H Schinske

Barbara ) wrote:

I'm pretty sure solids were routinely introduced at 2 months when I was an
infant in 1964. I know I was started on cereal at that time.

Me too. My mother's diary says when I was something like a month or two old,
"Helen took cereal well today for first time," as if she'd been trying it for a
while!

--Helen
Old May 30th 04, 12:43 AM
Naomi Pardue

My reason for believing that this is what caused his asthma is that none of
our
kids, all bf exclusively until 6 months (and as you know, continued bf for
LONG
after that!) have asthma, or any allergies except for atopic

dermatitis which
was outgrown.

Hard to say. DH had severe asthma as a child. I had (and still have) pretty
bad eczema (atopic dermatitis.) He was not bf at all. I was only bf for a few
weeks. Shaina was bf for 14 months, and got no solids until 5 months. She has
moderate asthma. (Though it seems to be getting a lot better now! knock wood.)
I would suspect that it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't bf'd, or had
started solids early, but we still did't avoid the problem completely.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old May 30th 04, 02:08 AM
Nikki

Carol Ann wrote:

She
is the one who had so many problems with him crying all the time.
After she gave him cereal, he stopped being so fussy.

I follow the 4-6 month recommendation of starting solids and actually wait
until 6 months. I had one very large baby and two very hungry babies and
never felt the need to start sooner.

I have heard that babies with reflux will cry less once they start solids.
I imagine it stays down better but I don't know if that is actually true or
not.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 30th 04, 02:46 AM
Circe

H Schinske wrote:
Barbara ) wrote:

I'm pretty sure solids were routinely introduced at 2 months when
I was an infant in 1964. I know I was started on cereal at that
time.

Me too.

My birthday is next Sunday. I can hardly believe it's the big 4-0! (My
husband told me the other night he cannot believe I'm 40 already and,
sweetly, says I certainly don't look it. But then, he's 46 and doesn't look
a day over 35, so I guess it's a good thing I don't look 40 or people might
mistakenly believe I married a younger man g).
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 31st 04, 03:14 AM
Leslie

Barbara said:

Well, first of all, just because your kids aren't showing any signs of atopy
now doesn't mean you can be *sure* they won't develop atopy later.

I am aware that people sometimes develop asthma later in life--my sister
actually did as well. But even putting it off past childhood seems like a
worthy reason for withholding early solids, etc. So many babies/toddlers seem
to be on breathing treatments these days. My husband was diagnosed at age 5,
and had been ill for a couple of years before anyone figured out what was wrong
with him.

snip

Beyond that, as far as I know, neither asthma or allergies are really
"inherited"; both are basically atopic reactions and what you inherit is a
tendency to develop atopic reactions rather than asthma or allergies per se.
Even if *both* parents have asthma or allergies, the kids can still wind up
*not* having them and it's also possible for parents who don't have any
atopic problems of their own to have kids who do. Now, the *likelihood* of
those atopic reactions does seem to increase based on early solids/dairy
exposure,

Well, exactly. That was what I was referring to in my answer to the OP, as to
why it is a Bad Idea to start solids early.

but there's also a fair amount of theorizing that part of the
reason allergies and asthma are on the rise is because we're *too*
clean--children's immune systems don't get built properly in part because
they're not exposed to potential allergens early and often enough to develop
the "right" reaction to them.

Which is no doubt another reason why my kids are not allergic to anything,
dirty little monsters that they are.

I'm not saying your husband's asthma/allergies *weren't* caused by early
solids. But my husband is the poster boy of anti-atopy, and he never
received a drop of breastmilk and, given his age (46), I'm sure he was fed
cereal and other solids at a very early age. So really, you just never know.

And given that you just never know, why would someone choose to feed solids
early and take that chance? You never know if you are going to be in a serious
car accident either, but you don't take your chances with the carseat!

Leslie
Old May 31st 04, 03:17 AM
Leslie

Naomi said:

Shaina was bf for 14 months, and got no solids until 5 months. She
has
moderate asthma. (Though it seems to be getting a lot better now! knock
wood.)
I would suspect that it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't bf'd, or had
started solids early, but we still did't avoid the problem completely.

My husband's asthma is severe, and was more so in his childhood. He had every
possible risk factor I've ever heard of, except genetic: Formula fed, early
solids, smoking in the home, c-section delivery, living in a highly polluted
industrial area . . .

Given that heredity, I wanted to do everything I could to avoid triggering
possible asthma and allergies in my kids. I'm sure that with a strong enough
family history, kids may end up with allergies regardless--but doing everything
we know we can may ameliorate their conditions.

Leslie