Big Baby Story

Old August 29th 05, 08:05 PM
Joybelle

"Jodi" wrote in message
nk.net...
(sorry if this posts more than once, my ISP is going crazy!)

Sometimes I get scared that if I ever get pregnant, I'll have to run into
the woods to have my baby!

I was visiting a mom from my church that just had her 2nd baby. When he
came out he was somewhere around 11 lb. (which, I admit, is not tiny by

any
means). I asked her how labor went, and she said that she only pushed for
11 minutes, and came away with just one stitch! She said there was about

30
seconds where they were scared that his shoulder was stuck, but I guess it
wasn't true dystocia, I'm not sure, but they didn't have to do anything
drastic to get him out.

Sounds like a pretty good birth... You would think she'd be very proud of
her body and its abilities.

Anyway, at the end of her story they said, "The doctor said that if they

had
known he was that big, they would have just given me a c-section on my due
date!" I'm pretty sure the doctor wasn't joking around or anything,

because
he told her later that if she got pregnant again, they'd have to watch the
baby's size pretty closely. I'm pretty sure none of this bothered her,

and
she doesn't know how much of a maven I am about such things, so I didn't

say
anything.

Argh. My cousin recently had 10-pounder for her first. The doctor told her
there was no way he'd let her go to 41 weeks like they did this time. She
did have a bit of a hard time pushing him out and they used the vacuum, but
my word, the girl delivered him vaginally without pain meds. She's done it
once, why can't she do it again???

Doesn't it say something about standard of care if the doctor was willing

tell a woman who just had a **successful vaginal birth** that if only we

had
known, you'd have been in the OR??? **unnecessarily cough cough** How

does
the doctor not realize how ridiculous that sounds?

NO kidding. You just proved you have a body that can birth a baby, but
we're not going to let you do it again.

She had a proven pelvis (her first was around 9 lb). Yet, if the doc had
determined that her baby was 11 pounds, she would have had unnecessary
surgery! To top it all off, this is the hospital I'll have to deliver at

if
I get preggers (we're both military, and it's a military hospital). I

guess
we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Very sad!
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old August 29th 05, 08:09 PM
Todd Gastaldo

OBSTETRICIANS SHOULDN'T PULL WITH BIRTH CANAL CLOSED THE "EXTRA" UP TO 30%

Sometimes they pull so hard with hands, forceps or vacuums that they rip
spinal nerves out of tiny spinal cords.

Most of the time, however, they "only" wrench babies' spines....

NEW READERS: It is easy to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to
30%.

See Birth Danger: Cal Chiro Bd - SIMPLE QUESTION
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3526

Further comments below...

in article , Joybelle at
wrote on 8/29/05 1:38 PM:

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
"Joybelle" wrote in message

Argh. My cousin recently had 10-pounder for her first. The doctor told
her
there was no way he'd let her go to 41 weeks like they did this time.

She
did have a bit of a hard time pushing him out and they used the vacuum,
but
my word, the girl delivered him vaginally without pain meds. She's done
it
once, why can't she do it again???

She can, but she's going to have to take charge of her own care better,

and
refuse an induction. She could swap to a different care provider, whether
its a more "lenient" OB or a midwife.

Oh, no doubt she can! It's just that she believes what this doctor says.
She only recently had the baby, and I hope by the time she does have her
second, she will be able to see how awesome her body performed. This whole
pregnancy she only spoke good of her doctor and how relaxed he was, though.
I just wonder why some doctors have that logic... You had a big baby quite
effectively, but we are NOT going to let THAT happen again!

I really think some doctors' (in general) view of big babies, and a womans
abilities to birth them, is detrimental to a woman's belief in her
capabilities.

One would think that if obstetricians were truly concerned about big babies,
they would make sure they stopped lying and closing pelvic outlets the
"extra" up to 30%.

It is called cephaloPELVIC disproportion after all.

When obstetricians pull with forceps or vacuum and the mother is still on
her back or semisitting it means they are KEEPING the birth canal closed the
"extra" up to 30%.

MDs are LYING - falsely claiming they are doing everything possible to open
birth canals even as they keep birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30%.

See Birth Danger: Cal Chiro Bd - SIMPLE QUESTION
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3526

Yes... An MD can keep the birth canal closed the "extra" up to 30% and drag
the baby through with forceps or vacuums - it happens all the time - but an
estimated 4.6% of "healthy" term babies suffer unexplained brain bleeds -
and, of course, there are the unexplained motor and perceptual difficulties
discovered later - not to mention the occasional unexplained death - or
unexplained paralysis.

NOTE: After the asphyxia IN the birth canal, there is the usual asphyxia
imposed OUTSIDE - immediate cord clamping - robbing the baby of up to 50% of
his blood volume. See "Steve B. Harris, MD is a coward," URL below.

Obstetricians are depending heavily on the resilience of babies.

Some babies aren't so resilient though...

Here is Steve B. Harris, MD explaining that MDs get away with these obvious
crimes because law enforcement looks the other way...

"Without enforcement, there is no law. Without law, there is no crime.
These are elementary principles. Get an adult to explain them to you."
http://groups.google.com/group/
misc.kids.pregnancy/msg/28866f3384801ae9

See Steve B. Harris, MD is a coward - babies be damned
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/3846

Mothers shouldn't have to ASK for the "extra" up to 30%.

Most don't KNOW to ask...

Hopefully, law enforcement will stop looking the other way and help babies.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon