cloth diapers?

Old May 21st 04, 05:42 AM
Daednu

Default cloth diapers?

tigger wrote:
We were looking at the chinese prefolds with velcro wraps. Are the
"fancier" cloth diapers really any better than these? Are
pins/Snappies better to use with wraps or is it kind of redundant?

I absolutely LOVE Fuzzi Bunz.
We recently changed our DS over to cloth. Holy frig do I ever wish we'd
done this sooner.
We'll be using nothing but cloth for the new babe.
I like Fuzzi Bunz because they're so reliable. They're so easy to use
that even my husband has no problem using them. They dry quickly because
they're so trim. Best of all you can control how much absorbancy they
have depending on what you stuff them with. DS is a heavy wetter so we
use a 4 layer hemp fleece insert.
I buy them from a work at home dad he http://www.clothdaddy.com/
I'll be buying the new babe's stash there soon too. He's wickedly fast
about getting special orders out.

~Daednu

Old May 21st 04, 06:40 AM
Chotii

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
Thank you for all the tips! I figured the Target cloth diapers were
probly best for burping! I never thought about the velcro causing a
pile o' diapers in the laundry. After looking at some of this stuff
online, I think I will probly go with a combination of Chinese prefolds
and shaped diapers. I am sifting through all the recommendations to try
to decide which shaped ones to go with. I have a few more questions:

-Do those snappies really work to fasten the diaper securely? They
looked like a great idea that might not stay put from the pics.

I think it depends on your type of diaper. I had some very tightly-woven
diapers at one point and the Snappies didn't work with them. I was
disappointed. They do have little teeth that dig in, you see, and they
couldn't clip in that particular kind of fabric. They may also snag some
softer/looser woven fabrics. I think they would be great in terry squares
such as are used in the UK, but I've never actually seen them. But don't
quote me on this! Talk to someone who uses them full-time and find out what
kind of diapers they use them with, and what frustrations they may have.

-What kind of covers are good to use with the prefolds? As in pull-up
vs velcro closure, wool vs fleece vs cotton etc.

Personally, I like the PUL (polyurethane laminate) covers, wherever you get
them. I adore my Mother-Ease covers. Heck, you can make your own - I've
bought squares of PUL for $3.50 each (and the smaller $2.50 size would have
been adequate really). These are truly waterproof, I have had so few
cover-escaping blowouts in 6 years that I could probably count them on one
hand, and they also breathe a little. However, you must pin, or have a
velcro-on or snap-on diaper for these. These are covers, not wraps. The
difference, I think, is that a wrap is tighter, designed to hold a prefold
in place. A cover just covers it. Be wary of any cover with cotton or
rayon bias tape edging. These will wick wetness right out to clothes and
furniture.

I do not like fleece for a baby that sits around. I tried them once. I kept
finding wet spots wherever the baby sat. Fleece doesn't wick, but it does
*compress* if a wet butt sits on it, and as long as the baby is walking,
you're fine. To use fleece, you better be prepared to change the diaper
every single time the baby pees, or have wet spots all over the house. Some
people do this as a matter of course. I don't, so fleece is not for me.

-With the diapers you use, the mother-ease, you said the diapers will
last until potty training - does this mean the same size fits from
newborn to toddler?? That seems to be what you are saying, but it seems
to good to be true!

The Mother-Ease do not fit every shape of baby. Babies with particularly fat
thighs do not always fit in these. But I can tell you from extensive
first-hand experience that they will fit a 50th percentile baby from 7 lbs
(I mean, where is a 7 lb baby going to go anyway?) with the front of the
diaper folded down and the flaps overlapped and snapped, to potty-training a
35 lb 3 1/2 year old kid, with the snaps on the largest possible setting.
They are not convenient for potty training. We moved to the mother-ease
training pants for that (all bought in consignment shops) for that stage.

-What would you recommend for night time specifically?

We use a snap-in liner, plus a homemade doubler, in the Mother-Ease at
night. We never have leaks or blowouts. Other people double up their
prefolds, or buy All In Ones designed for nighttime.

--angela

WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
How are disposable diapers supposed to fit (confused cloth diapering Mom)? [email protected] General 7 May 4th 04 05:48 AM
cloth diapers Small Haul Pregnancy 8 March 8th 04 10:47 PM
Cloth Diapers Phoebe & Allyson General 2 August 4th 03 07:39 AM
washing cloth diapers Jen Pregnancy 5 July 24th 03 05:56 PM