America's New Most Wanted - The NCP

Old February 4th 05, 12:33 AM
Dusty

Default America's New Most Wanted - The NCP

Local officer signs on for new TV show

COURTNEY BRUMMER, Staff Writer
02/01/2005

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...=2554&PAG=461&

Consider it "America's Most Wanted" for parents who don't pay child support,
and a Council Bluffs Police officer is in on the ground floor.

Officer Jack Price recently signed an agreement with dick clark productions
in Burbank, Calif., to film a sales tape of a new television show that
targets deadbeat parents.

Price came up with the concept for the show after working with people in
Child Support Recovery Services and through the department's Crime Free
Multi-Housing program.

In Iowa alone, roughly $200,000 is owed in child support payments, Price
said.
"I've seen the impact deadbeat parents have on the quality of life for their
kids," he said. "I've seen the single mothers or fathers having to be the
bread winners for the families, and it can be very hard. It affects the kids
in untold ways."

Price contacted Beaux Carson, producer, packager and CEO of Carson Signature
Films, who took the project to dick clark productions.

The show - its title is still a work in progress - will seek cooperation
from state-run and private support collection agencies to "build a show that
will showcase real life situations."

Price, who has been with the Council Bluffs Police Department for 18 years
and worked for the Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office prior to that, said
he hoped to utilize his law enforcement background to work with other
agencies on this project.

"Every state has a list of offenders and warrants," he said. "It's mostly
men, but there are some women, too."
The pilot or "sales tape" will be shot in Council Bluffs, but Price was not
at liberty to say when. Once the pilot is filmed, the tape will be presented
to various networks. The series will then be sold to the highest bidder.

For the time being, Price said, he will take a leave of absence from the
department and would retire if the show becomes successful.

Each segment will begin by profiling the family owed the support, then the
life of the deadbeat parent will be profiled. The show will follow the
investigation, the arrest and the court proceedings.

A "hot line" will also be set up at the end of the show for viewers to phone
in tips on locating deadbeat parents.
Unlike "America's Most Wanted," where several cases are covered, the
30-minute show will take a case through to its conclusion. Price said that
will be what sets it apart from similar law enforcement shows.

"We don't want to just throw the person in jail," he said. "That might
happen in some cases, but that doesn't help the family. We want to be able
to work with the offender, possibly get them into a training program so that
they can learn a trade and become productive."

--
"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Old February 4th 05, 12:37 AM
The Dave©

Dusty wrote:
Local officer signs on for new TV show

SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

All other issues aside, it sounds like a God-awfullly boring show.
Old February 4th 05, 12:59 AM
Bob Whiteside

"The Dave©" wrote in message
Dusty wrote:
Local officer signs on for new TV show

SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

All other issues aside, it sounds like a God-awfullly boring show.

Actually it could be quite entertaining. We can flood the show's hotline
with requests to look into CS system gender bias, father abuse by the
courts, arbitrary treatment of issues in family law, failures to provide due
process, mother abuses of visitation rights, etc. It's a great opportunity
to force some light onto the abuses in the system and drive them nuts until
they respond appropriately. I plan to call in multiple tips every week to
make them chase their tails trying to find the missing "deadbeats."

Old February 4th 05, 01:21 AM
Dusty

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
nk.net...

[snip]

Actually it could be quite entertaining. We can flood the show's hotline
with requests to look into CS system gender bias, father abuse by the
courts, arbitrary treatment of issues in family law, failures to provide

due
process, mother abuses of visitation rights, etc. It's a great

opportunity
to force some light onto the abuses in the system and drive them nuts

until
they respond appropriately. I plan to call in multiple tips every week to
make them chase their tails trying to find the missing "deadbeats."

Humm... interesting, I hadn't given much thought as to how something with
such potential to be nasty and evil could be turned around and used for
good.

Think I'll mention it to Krightsradio (www.krightsradio.com) and suggest to
them not to boycott the show (should it ever get off the ground).

BTW, here's the site with more info on the C$ Chasers TV Show -
http://www.krightsradio.com/dickclark.php

Old February 4th 05, 07:21 AM

"Dusty" wrote in

The show - its title is still a work in progress - will seek cooperation
from state-run and private support collection agencies to "build a show
that
will showcase real life situations."

Good, I'll volumteer to be the first "real life" situation and let them see
me driving my 1980 Honda Civic to work at my $10/hr job to pay my CS
$1200/mth payment. We can spend the evening watching my 2 channels on the
TV too!