Some Sanity on Merck's Gardasil from Dr. Reichman: Can a vaccine treat my existing HPV infection?

Old August 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Ilena Rose

Default Some Sanity on Merck's Gardasil from Dr. Reichman: Can a vaccine treat my existing HPV infection?

Note from Ilena Rosenthal: The industry scaremongers continue to feed
the frenzy that is putting over $4.5 billion in Merck's coffers this
year... as the evidence of the deaths and other serious complications
unfold.

Gardasil flacks trivialize the reported deaths and repeat the Merck
cervical cancer propaganda, refusing to admit that testing and better
hygiene will also assist in lowering the rates of the many types of
HPV (estimates between 30 and 100). They march around Usenet claiming
if we are cautious about wanting to mass innoculate pre-pubescent
girls, that that means we are "flacking" for the funeral industry and
other cheap propaganda fallacies.

As the new school year is starting around us ... we must be vigilent
that the Vac Machine is NOT the only point of view being spread.

http://ilena-rosenthal.blogspot.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20473947/?from=ET

IMPORTANT EXCERPTS:
The study didn't evaluate the long-term progression of HPV infections,
the extent of future abnormalities in cervical cells, or the
development of cervical cancer in these women. There's still a
possibility that the vaccine may diminish the progression to cancer,
but it seems unlikely since it didn't cause the virus to disappear.

Those who have persistent viral infections are a small minority of
women who are then at risk for cervical cancer.

We do know that within two years of HPV exposure (and infection), most
women clear these viruses on their own. Thank goodness for our
cervical “powers of viral destruction.”

Can a vaccine treat my existing HPV infection?
Dr. Judith Reichman shares some answers and explains the vaccine
Health on

By Dr. Judith Reichman

Q: I tested positive for high-risk HPV on my recent Pap smear. I'm
freaked! If I get the HPV vaccine will it help cure me?

A: First, the good news. It's most likely that your body will clear
the virus by itself through your own immune reactions. But the bad
news is that we don't know how to help that process along and the
vaccine won't do it.

A recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association
(JAMA) detailed a study in which more than 2,000 women between the
ages of 18 to 25 were followed for over a year. These women lived in
Costa Rica and were found, on initial testing, to be positive for
human papilloma virus (HPV). They were divided into two groups: Half
the women got a vaccine that immunizes against HPV 16 and 18, the
other half did not. There are over 30 types of HPV, but only some are
high risk. Type 16 and 18 are found in (and felt to be the cause of)
70 percent of cervical cancers. (The vaccine currently available in
the U.S. is called Gardasil. It's a quadrivalent vaccine because it
protects against four types of HPV: 16, 18, 6 and 11. These last two
types of HPV are not involved in cervical cancer development but do
cause genital warts.)

The women were then followed and tested for viral shedding at 6 and 12
months. The study found that there was no significant difference in
viral clearance (i.e., the virus disappeared) between those who
received immunization after becoming infected with HPV and those who
didn't. The clearance rate of HPV in the women who took the vaccine at
six months was 33.4 percent vs. 31.6 percent in the control group. At
12 months, the rate of continued shedding of the virus was 48.8
percent in the vaccinated group and 49.8 percent in the control group.

The study didn't evaluate the long-term progression of HPV infections,
the extent of future abnormalities in cervical cells, or the
development of cervical cancer in these women. There's still a
possibility that the vaccine may diminish the progression to cancer,
but it seems unlikely since it didn't cause the virus to disappear.

We do know that within two years of HPV exposure (and infection), most
women clear these viruses on their own. Thank goodness for our
cervical “powers of viral destruction.” HPV prevalence is
frighteningly ubiquitous — 50 to 70 percent of sexually active young
adults test positive for one of the HPVs within two years of
initiating sexual activity, especially if they are not consistent in
using condoms. (And even then there can be “oops” occurrences).
Because of its overwhelming prevalence, the current recommendation is
not to test for HPV infection in young adults (under the age of 30).

Those who have persistent viral infections are a small minority of
women who are then at risk for cervical cancer. Finding a persistent
HPV infection in women after the age of 30 should be a signal for
careful follow-up.

Despite this study's results, there are those who feel that it is
worthwhile to give the quadrivalent vaccine (Gardasil) to young women
aged 11 to 26 who have tested positive for one of the high-risk HPVs.
This is because, in theory, the vaccine may provide immunity against
HPV types that these young women were not exposed to and/or infected
with. Whether it is cost-effective to do this, especially in a large
population, is still under discussion.

Dr. Reichman’s Bottom Line: If you are infected with HPV, getting the
HPV vaccine will not help you clear the virus; the vaccine should not
be used to treat current infections.

Old August 30th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Myrl

On Aug 30, 9:21 am, Ilena Rose wrote:
Note from Ilena Rosenthal: The industry scaremongers continue to feed
the frenzy that is putting over $4.5 billion in Merck's coffers this
year... as the evidence of the deaths and other serious complications
unfold.

Gardasil flacks trivialize the reported deaths and repeat the Merck
cervical cancer propaganda, refusing to admit that testing and better
hygiene will also assist in lowering the rates of the many types of
HPV (estimates between 30 and 100). They march around Usenet claiming
if we are cautious about wanting to mass innoculate pre-pubescent
girls, that that means we are "flacking" for the funeral industry and
other cheap propaganda fallacies.

Ilena Rosenthal continues to taut "7" associated possible deaths from
Gardasil, and then ignore the estimated 250,000 - 290,000 women, who
die each year from Cervical Cancer.

There has been NO PROOF of the "7" deaths, actually being caused by
Gardasil. Just notation at the time of their deaths that, Gardasil
had been given.

Ilena Rosenthal doesn't wish to address the 250,000 - 290,000 women
who die each year from the estimated Cervical Cancer. It is also
estimated that 70% of these cancers are caused by the HPV virus, which
Gardasil could protect against.

Ilena Rosenthal is apparently in the business of selling hysteria, for
the anti-vac folks, and the quack medicine industry!

http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com

Old August 30th 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Jeff

Ilena Rose wrote:
Note from Ilena Rosenthal: The industry scaremongers continue to feed
the frenzy that is putting over $4.5 billion in Merck's coffers this
year... as the evidence of the deaths and other serious complications
unfold.

Correct. And what has unfolded is that Gardasil has caused very few
complications. Gardasil has not been shown to cause or contribute to any
deaths.

Gardasil flacks trivialize the reported deaths and repeat the Merck
cervical cancer propaganda, refusing to admit that testing and better
hygiene will also assist in lowering the rates of the many types of
HPV (estimates between 30 and 100)

Evidence that better hygiene will lead to fewer infections, please. And,
exactly, what hygeine?

A recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association
(JAMA) detailed a study in which more than 2,000 women between the
ages of 18 to 25 were followed for over a year.

The women were then followed and tested for viral shedding at 6 and 12
months. The study found that there was no significant difference in
viral clearance (i.e., the virus disappeared) between those who
received immunization after becoming infected with HPV and those who
didn't.

Which is exactly why the vaccine has to be given *before* the girls get
infected. Thanks for clarifying this.

Those who have persistent viral infections are a small minority of
women who are then at risk for cervical cancer.

And which girls will be those women who are at risk for cervical cancer
in 20 to 50 years? Tell us please. Then only they would need to be
immunized.

Jeff
Old August 31st 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Mark Probert

Ilena Rose wrote:

Gardasil flacks trivialize the reported deaths

That is just not true. No one trivializes ANY deaths.

HOWEVER, although these deaths occurred after vaccination, there is no
demonstration of causation. Before you throw the baby out with the
bathwater, getting some facts would help.
Old August 31st 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Ilena Rose

Great points Vince ... thank you so much.

And Probert ... sorry, your gal Myrl has trivialized and even played
the "it's anything but the vaccine" killing these young people.

She has also used the typical Quackwatch Logic that those of us who
are concerned about the deaths and other serious complications coming
out now ... are "flacks" for the funeral industry and other such
idiocy ...

She then makes a mockery out of reason by posting nonsense such as
this.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/myrl.html

Myrl Jeffcoat on comparing "9" post Merck's Gardasil related deaths in
the United States and 250,000 (estimated number of women worldwide who
are said to die from cervical cancer):

Myrl Jeffcoat Speak :
"Are you having issues with a sum-total that comes from subtracting 9
from 250,000?. . .Or is it that it makes it more difficult to paint
lipstick on your pig?"

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....473b5d160366f#
Myrl Carlene Jeffcoat tossing out her muddled and confused
accusations against me ... she has been widely claiming that this is a
"simple math" question ... here's Myrl's math:

MyrlSpeak (Ilena is the "she's" Myrl is insulting)
She's so focused on bashing the idea that a
vaccine may prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths, that she is
reluctant to do the math. . .250,000 - 7 = 243,000 possible lives
saved!
Old August 31st 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Myrl

On Aug 31, 11:47 am, Ilena Rose wrote:
Great points Vince ... thank you so much.

And Probert ... sorry, your gal Myrl has trivialized and even played
the "it's anything but the vaccine" killing these young people.

While Ilena Rosenthal continues to ignore the 250,000 - 290,000 women
dying each year of Cervical Cancer, she continues to taut her "7"
associated deaths to the Gardasil vaccine. She's provided NO PROOF,
that any of her 7 deaths were actually caused by the vaccine itself.

In so doing, Ilena Rosenthal has set herself up as a flack for the
funeral industry.

Old August 31st 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Ilena Rose

Myrl Jeffcoat has watched the breast implant industry use all the same
tricks of the propaganda trade ...

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/myrl.html

.... it's anything but the implants

....question every death and complication yet post Merck propaganda as
"science" and then repeat their disinformation over and over and over
and over just like she's doing.

Before she decided to join Barrett's campaigns openly (I believe she
and her predecessor worked with him before attacking those who chose
to sell products by MLM in the breast implant groups) ... she had a
whole website dedicated to Steve Milloy ... then she ripped and tore
it down (she loves to use wild words such as those) ... and put up
attack sites about me instead.

Her behavior here reminds me of when Dow bought breast cancer patients
to Washington DC and funded non profits of "insiders" to tell everyone
how important it was to have the FDA allow implants.

Old August 31st 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Myrl

On Aug 31, 11:57 am, Ilena Rose wrote:
Myrl Jeffcoat has watched the breast implant industry use all the same
tricks of the propaganda trade ...

Rant on Ilena. Folks are watching! I don't think you really want to
start up this old crap, that ends up making you look like the fool
that you are. But if you like, we can refresh the memories of folks
who don't remember!

Again, Ilena - Go ahead and taut your "7" associated deaths to
Gardasil, while ignoring the 250,000 - 290,000 women each year that
die from Cervical Cancer.

You look like a first class idiot in the process! But I suspect the
funeral industry simply thinks you are glorious!

http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com

Old August 31st 07, 09:59 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Myrl

On Aug 31, 11:57 am, Ilena Rose wrote:

Before she decided to join Barrett's campaigns openly (I believe she
and her predecessor worked with him before attacking those who chose
to sell products by MLM in the breast implant groups) ... she had a
whole website dedicated to Steve Milloy ... then she ripped and tore
it down (she loves to use wild words such as those) ... and put up
attack sites about me instead.

Her behavior here reminds me of when Dow bought breast cancer patients
to Washington DC and funded non profits of "insiders" to tell everyone
how important it was to have the FDA allow implants.

Ilena-
About the time I think you've shown your most virulent form of
insanity, you surprise me and take it one more notch over the top.

Women's Information & Support (WIS) has never had any rules. The
truth of the matter, for most of it's existence, it has been a
bulletin board where abstracts and articles were posted to benefit
those harmed by breast implants.

It is true I am no supporter of multi-level-marketing (MLM) pyramid
schemes. I believe more people are harmed by them, than are helped by
them. Within our victim community, there has been a history of MLM
schemes. Some have sold travel plans (this one really took some of
our women to the cleaners to the tune of $5,000 a piece). We've had
plans to sell vitamins, liver cleanse, magnets. . .You name it, we've
had it.

Where I drew a line in the sand, was when it had been suggested by a
few, hawking various MLM products, that I should fork over my e-mail
address book, so they could have direct marketing access. And, you're
right about that, Ilena, I definitely was militant in my refusal to do
so.

I have always been sympathetic to our women who hoped to enhance their
subsistance by working out of their home. It is especially heart
wrenching when you realize how ill so many of our women are, and how
difficult it is for them to leave the home to earn a living. But on
the other hand, I highly doubt that any of our women have ever been
made rich selling products using these plans. And far more have been
harmed and scammed by them in the process.

I believe our women have been victimized enough, they certainly don't
and didn't need another avenue for them to be taken to the cleaners!

You can do anything with my thoughts in this regard, you wish
Ilena!. . .but I stick to my beliefs!

I can understand how a quick buck artist, would wish to have another
portal into the hip pockets of the victims, and try to villanize
anyone that tried to keep it from happening.

It must also be remembered that for years and years, Ilena Rosenthal
has had installed on her non-profit webspace, "attack webpages" up
which have abused and libeled women harmed by breast implants. She
now whines that there is a site, which provides the TRUTH and the
FACTS surrounding her, and her floundation.

For a lengthy list of Ilena Rosenthal's abusive webpages, please
visit:

http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com/ilenawebpages.html

Also, I have two Statements on record at the FDA, which clearly define
my views against the return of silicone breast implants to the market,
and why! There is no evidence that Ilena Rosenthal, herself, has
presented testimony to the FDA.

For the FACTS and the TRUTH surrounding Ilena Rosenthal, and her
floundation, please visit:

http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com

Read it and weap!

Old August 31st 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,ca.politics
Myrl

On Aug 31, 11:57 am, Ilena Rose wrote:

Before she decided to join Barrett's campaigns openly (I believe she
and her predecessor worked with him before attacking those who chose
to sell products by MLM in the breast implant groups) ... she had a
whole website dedicated to Steve Milloy ... then she ripped and tore
it down (she loves to use wild words such as those) ...

Wow Ilena, you are bouncing all over the place with your ramblings
today.

What Ilena claims to be "nukking" of certain webpages from the
Women's
Information & Support website, emanates from classic paranoid-
shizophrenic conspiracy theories gyrating in her empty head!

Several years ago, when I was about to discontinue some usage of
webspace for the WIS website, I forewarned that the pages would be
coming down, and interested parties should save them to their hard-
drives to upload on their own websites.

The TAASC material by Milloy, became a pivotal battle ground for
Ilena, with either she or her grouplet members combatting me on BOTH
sides of the argument, wishing to have it both ways.

the TAASC material Ilena speaks about was up for qu*ite sometime on a
dormant Women's Information & Support webpage.

To give you all a little history, which some already knew, I*'ll tell
you the facts surrounding that particular period of time. I*t came
about the time I stopped posting the WIS newsletter via the web on a
near daily basis.

There was the collected material on TASSC that Merry Grant h*ad sent
our way. There was a group of women, who wanted to get their hands on
the material in order to rebutt the articles to the media, and e*
lected officials via a letter writing campaign. I was able to
successfully e-mail it to most of the women, but a number of the
women, h*ad computers or e-mail servers that would lop off a good
portio*n of the material, or remove it outright from the message.

I told the ladies, I would put it up on a webpage, and they *could
simply access the webpage, to read the material, and compose* their
letters accordingly. Because I was no longer posting daily *updates
to the Women's Information Support Newsletter, it remained on the
webpage, for that* purpose, a considerable time, until Ilena pointed
out that I was using *the webspace to promote the "Junk Science"
agenda. . .You simply* can't win with Ilena Rosenthal, when her brain
is in infinite loop, and doin*g the conspiracy theory hampster dance.

The words in the following paragraph, are what I stated when* I sent
out the information originally. The words are as true today, as* they
were back then. It was to provide samplings of what TASSC was al*l
about, and allow our women to rebutt it in some way. Those interes*
ted in the accuracy of what I have stated, can simply ask the women
who* worked on the letter writing project. I can't remember all that
did, *but remember that MerryGrant, I think Mary Cochran, Pam Dowd, I*
think Angela Hans, and several others as well, did:

"The following excerpts are all from collected material on T*A*SSC.

Thank you Merry for sending these our way. The reason for m**y
sending this material out now, is to remind you it is close to elect*
ion day, and to choose wisely those that will lead the country, and
possibly follow agendas that are in our best interests. None of the f*
ollowing material has been sorted or organized *in any particular
way*. I just put it out, to give samplings of wha*t TASSC is all
about. Obviously geared to promoting "information" as manufacturers
and the *corporate giants wishes for the public* to believe. Likely
responsib*le for the coining of the term , "J*unk Science" which has
become a corporate "buzz" word to bend or* warp facts, to meet the
needs of cor*porations to shirk responsibi*lity when it comes to human
harm.

Crazy things happen when you travel through the Google archi*ves to
jog your memory about certain aspects of our history.

Recently, I began to remember why it was after several months o*f
having the Milloy TASSC material up on webpages, that I finally was*
prompted to take it down. . .It was because several members of Ilena'*
s grouplet were nipping at me. They had accused me of promoting the
Mi*lloy agenda, by having the material out on the web.

I have put the link to the archives that contains the thread*s
regarding this history. (1) How they were put up on the web, so easy
access would be available to a number of our women involved in a re*
buttal letter writing campaign to media and elected officials, etc.*
(2) And then the dialogue between myself and grouplet members, etc. *
who were attacking because I had them up on the web.

Strangely, now they're gone, Ilena is going bonkers, and is *
accusatory because they "disappeared" from the Women's Information
Support website.

Geez Ilena, in your eyes, I'm damned if I do, and damned if *I don't!

It's an interesting group of messages in these threads. Ple*ase
visit, I think you'll all find the facts bear me out.

And Ilena, as I've promised in the past, should you decide the Milloy
or Penny Downey material is REALLY that valuable, I will gladly fork
over the material (pictures and all), so you can put it up on your
valuable webspace. It might be a welcome addition, in light of the
fact that a considerable amount of your webspace currently makes you
appear to be a seriously impaired or insane person who is ranting and
raving, while abusing, slandering, and libeling those harmed by breast
implants.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...implant/browse...