Totally OT

Old March 31st 04, 09:39 PM
CY

Default Totally OT

OK, I know this is way out of line, but you are the biggest bunch of people
I know so can I pretty please with sugar on top ask you a professional
question?

If not, please disregard this message!

I used to be a trainer in my past life (before motherhood!) and I have been
approached by someone to do some one-on-one comuter training in her home or
mine (she is not a friend but someone I trained once in a classroom). She
has asked me what I would charge her an hour and I have no idea what would
be acceptable to a person. I don't want to outprice myself but I also want
to make it worth my time.

Has anyone ever done this (either given or been given training like this).
I am Microsoft certified etc if that makes a difference! I don't know who
else to ask (I've looked around locally but all I can find are the big guns
like CompUSA etc or small operations that do a whole bunch of other stuff so
that isn't really helpful!)

Thanks for any advice and sorry that this is so OT!

Old March 31st 04, 09:51 PM
New York Jen

"CY" wrote in message
[...]

Not really sure how much to charge, but make sure it's enough that you won't
leave there feeling ****ed off that you wasted your time. Also, you should
probably offer 2 prices, 1 for your home and 1 for hers, (more for hers -
travel, etc.) Do you have to hire childcare while you are teaching her?
That's something else to consider. Lastly, I'd pick up the local paper and
look in the classifieds to see what other people are charging for similar
services.

Good luck!

- Jen

Old March 31st 04, 10:02 PM
Cat

"New York Jen" skrev i en meddelelse
. net...

"CY" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a computer professional as well. What I have done in similar situations
is to consider the following.

Do I like the person? If not: forget it.

Private people cannot pay what I'm worth - I'm typically sold for 100-200$
per hour. No matter what price I charge it will be giving it away. (On the
other hand: I'm NOT paid 100-200$ an hour, så maybe it's still worth it)

If I like someone and it's not more than say: 5-10 hours I usually say: It's
free, but pass the favor along. Do something for free to someone else some
day.

Tine, Denmark

It's still me, I just needed to be a little anonymous for various reasons
for some time. Plus I'm getting loads of spam, so.

Old March 31st 04, 11:32 PM
badgirl

"CY" wrote in message
[...]

Where do you live? My DH is a network engineer and I can ask him what
reasonable rates for that sort of thing are, but I'll need to know
where you live because it is a little dependant on that.

Jen

Old March 31st 04, 11:33 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I live in the DC area. I charge $50-$100/hour for in-home computer
training, depending upon a lot of specific factors. Does that help?

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old March 31st 04, 11:35 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Cat wrote:

Do I like the person? If not: forget it.

Not a computer person, but another person selling time. I strongly,
strongly second this. Life is too short to work for people you don't like.

Private people cannot pay what I'm worth - I'm typically sold for 100-200$
per hour. No matter what price I charge it will be giving it away. (On the
other hand: I'm NOT paid 100-200$ an hour, så maybe it's still worth it)

My billing rate is theoretically $125 an hour, but we mostly work
fixed-fee deals and a realization rate of $75 per billable hour is
acceptable to us. (A realization rate of $150 is also acceptable to us,
but if we go much over that we'll usually discount the fixed fee.) We
go to people's houses, and don't bill for travel of under an hour,
unless it's a regular thing and for work that can only be done at their
location.

The rule of thumb in my industry is that employees bill for 3 times
their salary. A third goes directly to the employee, a third goes to
benefits and overhead, and a third goes to profit. So don't charge less
than twice what you'd accept as an employee, because you will have
benefits (self-employment tax, among other things).

If I like someone and it's not more than say: 5-10 hours I usually say: It's
free, but pass the favor along. Do something for free to someone else some
day.

Yikes! I can't imagine a 10 hour freebie. We'll give away an hour or
two, though.

Phoebe

Old March 31st 04, 11:55 PM
Marvin L. Zinn

CY,

I think Tina (CAT) gave you a good answer.

However, consider the fact that the hourly rates
companies charge for such services are partly the
reason they are shifting more of them to India!

As a consultant, I was paid about $28 per hour when
I worked for a company, and $65 per hour when I worked
for myself. The company charged from $100 to $200 for
my time, but that included a lot of backup support. But
that was industry; a private individual would not pay
so much.

Take a look at what auto mechanics charge in your
area. Your services should be worth that much at least,
but the lady may not be able to pay it.

marvin
Marvin L. Zinn
Reply to:
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

Old April 1st 04, 01:48 AM
HollyLewis

Has anyone ever done this (either given or been given training like this).
I am Microsoft certified etc if that makes a difference! I don't know who
else to ask (I've looked around locally but all I can find are the big guns
like CompUSA etc or small operations that do a whole bunch of other stuff so
that isn't really helpful!)

IME, small operations that do a whole bunch of other stuff generally charge the
same per-hour rate whether they're training, installing, purchasing,
troubleshooting, or whatever. So that ought to help.

I would expect to pay somewhere between $50 and $150 per hour, I think.
Depending on what type of training, your experience level, and, basically, how
much of a PITA doing this would be for you. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old April 1st 04, 05:21 AM
The Watsons

"CY" wrote in message
Has anyone ever done this (either given or been given training like this).
I am Microsoft certified etc if that makes a difference! I don't know who
else to ask (I've looked around locally but all I can find are the big

guns
like CompUSA etc or small operations that do a whole bunch of other stuff

so
that isn't really helpful!)

i remember from my days in IT that them MCSE guys started at 35/hr...
realistically, call a few computer stores in the area and find out what they
pay their help desk guys...

Jess

Almost totally OT Kereru Pregnancy 4 March 10th 04 08:07 AM
Totally and completely OT; Les Miserables Laurie General 13 September 12th 03 05:30 PM
I totally flunked my Postnatal Depression test :o( Andrea Breastfeeding 43 August 15th 03 01:53 PM