20w US, oh no result

Old May 12th 06, 01:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default 20w US, oh no result

Ultrasound at 20w shows something sticking "out the butt" of my baby.
It was not there 3 weeks ago. Both scans were done by someone with
vast training and experience in US. Two strong candidates:
meningocele sacral and sacrococcygeal teratoma. At this point we know
almost nothing, apart from there is a problem.. It could turn out to
be rather minor, or very, very bad.

****.

Old May 12th 06, 04:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Pologirl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ultrasound at 20w shows something sticking "out the butt" of my baby.
It was not there 3 weeks ago. Both scans were done by someone with
vast training and experience in US. Two strong candidates:
meningocele sacral and sacrococcygeal teratoma. At this point we know
almost nothing, apart from there is a problem.. It could turn out to
be rather minor, or very, very bad.

****.

Stay strong, my thoughts are with you and i'm hoping all turns out very
well, keep us informed, you will get lots of support here!!!!!!!

April

One week, one day, 6 hours, 39 minutes and 2 seconds. 256 cigarettes not
smoked, saving £63.89. Life saved: 21 hours, 20 minutes.

Old May 12th 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I'm so sorry. I do hope you get some answers very, very soon and the
news is good. We had a scare from our 18-week ultrasound, and I know
the worrying, the not knowing, is horrible.

My thoughts are with you.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 12th 06, 05:07 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Pologirl wrote:
Ultrasound at 20w shows something sticking "out the butt" of my baby.
It was not there 3 weeks ago. Both scans were done by someone with
vast training and experience in US. Two strong candidates:
meningocele sacral and sacrococcygeal teratoma. At this point we know
almost nothing, apart from there is a problem.. It could turn out to
be rather minor, or very, very bad.

****.

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. What is the next step? Is there a way to find
out before birth which one it is? Are they recommending any additional
tests? Sending you hugs, strength and love.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old May 12th 06, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Pologirl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ultrasound at 20w shows something sticking "out the butt" of my baby.
It was not there 3 weeks ago. Both scans were done by someone with
vast training and experience in US. Two strong candidates:
meningocele sacral and sacrococcygeal teratoma. At this point we know
almost nothing, apart from there is a problem.. It could turn out to
be rather minor, or very, very bad.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Will you be having another u/s soon? It is agony
learning a "possible" diagnosis, isn't it? Not knowing is so hard. Knowing
is hard, too, but you have something to work with.

****.

You are in my thoughts. (((HUGS)))

Joy
--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05 www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantphilip

Old May 12th 06, 08:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Pologirl wrote:

Ultrasound at 20w shows something sticking "out the butt" of my baby.
It was not there 3 weeks ago. Both scans were done by someone with
vast training and experience in US. Two strong candidates:
meningocele sacral and sacrococcygeal teratoma. At this point we know
almost nothing, apart from there is a problem.. It could turn out to
be rather minor, or very, very bad.

****.

I know it must be hard not knowing, but if it's any help I knew someone
who's baby had a benign tumor in the same place & when removed
everything was just fine. She did have to have a c-sec though.
Old May 12th 06, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

have you had other tests, particularly the triple screen, AFP, or whatever
they are calling it in your area, a good result from that would be
reassuring.

I'm thinking of you, I hope you get more news soon.

Anne

Old May 14th 06, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thank you all for your kind words.

Jamie Clark wrote:
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. What is the next step? Is there a way to find
out before birth which one it is?

The next step is transfer to an OB practice that deals with high-risk
pregnancies. Unfortunately, the closest ones are based in a city 2
hours from where I live (in the boonies). I have an appontment with a
perinatology practice, in 3 weeks. They will try to juggle schedules
to get me in sooner. Proper assessment requires an extensive
ultrasound analysis, followed by repeated ultrasounds every 1-2 weeks
to watch how fast the mass grows. Also AFP (looking for open as
opposed to closed neural tube defects) and an amnio (looking for one of
several likely major chromosomal abnormalities, maybe also additional
custom analysis).

At this point, the best possible outcome is a scheduled C-section for
me, possibly long before my due date and, for the baby, surgery to
remove and repair the morphological faults involved and some time in
NICU.

The worst case outcome is too horrible to describe in any detail.
Extreme grossness a la X-Files. Fetal death, and a dead fetus that
cannot possibly be delivered intact. I have relevant sections of a
textbook on fetal abnormalities, and I gather from reading it that
elective 2nd trimester terminations are the "therapy" of choice for the
majority of cases like mine. At least I have a choice. But what a
miserable choice it is. And I have little time to make the choice and
not enough information with which to make it.

Financially, this is going to be hard for us to bear right now, because
we are contracted to buy a house. Normally we have a cash reserve of 6
months' living expenses, but that reserve is already committed to
paying a down payment and closing costs for the house purchase. It
won't be a bankruptcy situation, because we do have medical insurance.
Our insurance covers pregancy fully but otherwise covers only core (ie,
financially catastrophic) care and has an annual deductible of many
thousands of dollars. Some of this will be covered under pregnancy,
but most won't and it could get very, very expensive. And this problem
could require us to devote years, perhaps even the rest of our lives,
to caring for a severely disabled child.