birth control??

Old July 14th 06, 06:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default birth control??

KR writes:
: What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

: My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
: mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
: permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
: this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
: problems??

: We will probably know in about 2 years if we will have another child at
: which point we will look at a surgical option for one of us.

: Thanks,
: KR

Until 6 months, lactational amenorhea (sp?)
After 6 months, copper IUD (not hormonal)

Do I get a free gift for taking the survey?
:-)
Larry
Old July 14th 06, 09:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Anne Rogers wrote:
.
Sarah wrote:
I was on one of the mini-pills briefly after Jamie was born and found it
to be a pain remembering it within the three-hour window. I set my watch
alarm, but it meant breaking off what I was doing to go and take it. I
found the IUCD much easier (I got the ordinary kind, not the Mirena).
Having it put in was unpleasant, but after that I just didn't need to
worry about it at all.

would it be helpful if Sarah explained why she went for the non hormonal
one?

grin Probably not, since my main consideration was saving the NHS
money. The Mirena is _way_ more expensive, and although it works out as
very good value over the five years of its lifespan, I wasn't planning
to have it in that long. I know it wouldn't have been my money (well,
indirectly through taxes, but I'd be paying those anyway) but after a
decade of working in the NHS and having to be constantly conscious of
resources, it went too much against the grain for me to ask for a Mirena.

Another consideration was the hormone involved in the Mirena, but the
only reason that was even a consideration was because at the time there
were all the milk supply issues caused by Jamie's tongue tie making him
unable to nurse properly. There's no evidence that progestagen has any
effect on milk production, and the amount absorbed systemically from the
Mirena is vanishingly tiny anyway, but I figured I might as well avoid
any risk. But I don't see that as that big a consideration.

A while back, I read on here that someone had been told by her
gynaecologist that the non-hormonal IUCD only tends to cause heavy
periods in the first several months after being fitted, and after that
they tend to settle down. So, if you have it put in while nursing, you
can actually miss that stage altogether due to having lactational
amenorrhoea during that time. I don't know how widely true that is, and
obviously I don't know whether I would have had problems with it if I'd
been having periods earlier; but I do know that when my periods
restarted, at just over a year post-partum, they were barely any
different from how they'd been before I got pregnant (and I was on the
combined pill then!).

I'm going to have my IUCD taken out now I've weaned, but that's only
because I prefer the freedom to skip periods that the combined pill
gives you. Apart from not being able to do that, the IUCD has been a
great method. I had a rough time having it put in, but, from reading
about and seeing other people's experiences, I would say I was up at the
higher end of the scale as far as pain levels go. It was definitely
worth it for the sake of having a totally hassle-free method of
contraception at a time when I had enough else on my mind. ;-) I'm
definitely going for the same method if/when I have the next one.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old July 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Brookben

Before baby, we used the rhythm method... which worked for 8 years - I
knew I was likely going to get pregnant that fateful night since we
didn't follow the 'rules'. Now, we use condoms. But, since I still
don't have a period (she's 7 months), I find myself nervous at times
since I don't have the telling sign of a period!

Sometimes I think I 'feel' a baby's movements and wonder if I'm
pregnant... I'm too cheap to buy a test... Any other ways of
learning of pregnancy... you know, while we're on the subject.

As for hormone pills, I am NOT a good candidate for such as that. I
did use hormones as a bc many, many years ago and I had a huge adverse
reaction. I wouldn't want to do that again - condoms are the best
choice for us.

Misti

Old July 15th 06, 02:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Andrea Phillips

KR wrote:
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

I know I'm a little late to the show, but....

I used micronor when I was nursing, before my period came back, and I
was always ridiculously nervous about it because I'm terrible about
taking pills on time. This is not conducive to, how do you say, the
right mood...

I switched to Mirena after my period returned, and I had a
more-complicated experience with it than most... I had a solid six
weeks of spotting when it was first put in, though no periods to speak
of after that. And then after about a year, my strings disappeared...
it was still in place and still effective, but I eventually had to have
some sort of hysteroscopy to remove it again when we wanted another
baby.

And you know, even with all that, I *totally* plan to do it again?
Despite the annoyance of spotting, and the fact that I had to have a
hospital procedure to get the thing removed, the truth is that I just
never had to think about it again. The years of no periods didn't hurt
any, either. It was just so wonderfully convenient all around.

YMMV.

Old July 15th 06, 03:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Consider natural family planning. It can be very effective
if a good method is used and it's followed very carefully.
See the Primer I co-authored -- it's linked
from my home page somewhere

http://www.ncf.ca/~an588

NFP during breastfeeding can be very effective;
it takes advantage of natural decrease of fertility
during breastfeeding. Has to be done right, though.

Old July 16th 06, 01:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

"Brookben" ) writes:
Sometimes I think I 'feel' a baby's movements and wonder if I'm
pregnant... I'm too cheap to buy a test... Any other ways of
learning of pregnancy... you know, while we're on the subject.

You might be able to tell by taking your temperature
when you wake every morning, though that works better if
you started before getting pregnant. Pregnant temperatures
are higher and steadier, like the second half of the menstrual
cycle but more so. If not pregnant, there would be more
variation and the average would be lower.

Symptoms of pregnancy may include: morning sickness, tender nipples,
breastfeeding can become less comfortable or even painful,
having less milk.
Old July 16th 06, 11:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Sarah wrote:
A while back, I read on here that someone had been told by her
gynaecologist that the non-hormonal IUCD only tends to cause heavy periods
in the first several months after being fitted, and after that they tend
to settle down. So, if you have it put in while nursing, you can actually
miss that stage altogether due to having lactational amenorrhoea during
that time. I don't know how widely true that is, and obviously I don't
know whether I would have had problems with it if I'd been having periods
earlier; but I do know that when my periods restarted, at just over a year
post-partum, they were barely any different from how they'd been before I
got pregnant (and I was on the combined pill then!).

interesting, I sort of had that impression too somehow, but after getting my
period back at 4.5 months, I wasn't expecting a long period of LA, so
couldn't rely on that!

Anyway when I talked to my doctor, the impression I got was basically unless
you had any good reason not to have the mirena then it was better to have
that than to have an ordinary one and I could think of plenty of good
reasons to have the mirena. At the time I had it inserted, I was hoping to
only have it for 3-4 years, but getting real, it's going to be 5 years! I
don't recall the doctor asking, but I suspect that his opinion is that I
shouldn't have more children anyway.

Anne

Old July 19th 06, 07:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

wrote in message ...
KR writes:
: What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

: My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
: mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
: permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
: this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
: problems??

: We will probably know in about 2 years if we will have another child at
: which point we will look at a surgical option for one of us.

: Thanks,
: KR

Until 6 months, lactational amenorhea (sp?)
After 6 months, copper IUD (not hormonal)

Do I get a free gift for taking the survey?

A womb of your own! ;-)

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,