storing breast milk

Old October 11th 05, 09:42 PM

Default storing breast milk

oregonchick writes:
: I have a medela pump in style, and have been looking around in preparation
: for storage bags. Reviews on the Medela bags are not great, I guess the
: twist tie closure is a real hassle and not completely reliable. Are there
: any other products that fit the Pump in Style so I can pump directly into
: the storage bag? The other freezer bags that seem to have high ratings are
: the Gerber and Lansinoh bags, particularly because of the ziploc closure.
: Anyone care to share personal experience?

I agree with the people that say to forget the bags, and to use the
smallest size bottles you can find. When ours were nursing, Monika
donated to the San Jose Milk Bank, and they gave us little 4 oz
bottles to collect the milk in. We used the extra bottles when we
needed to.

Larry
Old October 12th 05, 01:22 PM
Anne Rogers

I agree with the people that say to forget the bags, and to use the
smallest size bottles you can find. When ours were nursing, Monika
donated to the San Jose Milk Bank, and they gave us little 4 oz
bottles to collect the milk in. We used the extra bottles when we
needed to.

but they take up so much space in the freezer, we only have a 3 drawer
freezer, bags are essential, also being in the UK there is much less range
of products available, if I was using bottles to keep my milk in there would
be 100pound worth of plastic in the freezer, whereas I've spent around 20
pounds on bags over 2 children and I still have a few left.

FWIW I have found lansinoh bags to be fabulous, none of the problems Donna
had, despite fairly brutal treatment, such as folding them up when they've
only been out of the freezer a few minutes to tuck them inside a cup to
avoid the risk of leaking all over my handbag, but then they have survived
being tossed about my handbag, keys and all!

Larry, do you actually live in San Jose? My little sis is there next week
presenting her first paper.

Anne

Old October 12th 05, 03:31 PM
oregonchick

wrote in message ...
oregonchick writes:
[...]

That sounds pretty handy, and fortunately I have a large deep freezer in my
basement that has plenty of room. So, you don't have to buy special bottles
for freezing?

Old October 12th 05, 04:47 PM
Anne Rogers

That sounds pretty handy, and fortunately I have a large deep freezer in
my basement that has plenty of room. So, you don't have to buy special
bottles for freezing?

nope, the Avent bottles have special flexible disks in the lids, but any
other bottle is fine as long as you don't fill it up too much, milk expands
when you freeze it.

Anne

Old October 12th 05, 04:56 PM

Anne Rogers writes:

: but they take up so much space in the freezer, we only have a 3 drawer
: freezer, bags are essential, also being in the UK there is much less range
: of products available, if I was using bottles to keep my milk in there would
: be 100pound worth of plastic in the freezer, whereas I've spent around 20
: pounds on bags over 2 children and I still have a few left.

the bottles we got from the Milk Bank were only about as tall as they were
big around. Sort of squat little things. And they were made of glass
with metal lids.

: Larry, do you actually live in San Jose? My little sis is there next week
: presenting her first paper.

Actually, about 25 miles up the road in Fremont.

Larry