death

Old October 30th 07, 04:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default death

In article 7a7889313d975@uwe, arabella via FamilyKB.com says...

Banty wrote:
What do you tell a 6 yo who's worried people around him are going to die?
My dad was telling DS how old he is today and how he is going to die. He's

[quoted text clipped - 74 lines]

Bad kitty, retract those claws!

Whew-hee.

You had your say; others disagreed, and you're up in arms (claws?)

This is a discussion group, you need to be prepared for folks to disagree.

And maybe you should look up the psychological meaning of "projection".

Banty

Maybe you should just adjust your words to not come off sounding like you
think you know it all. Not everyone agrees with you, or your *projection* of
your words.

Arabella - are you under the impression that you're in a single website that was
fairly recently set up - a.k.a. "FamilyKB"? Because that has been set up
(rather misleadingly transparently) as a mere interface to a much wider
(worldwide!) and older set of fora (newsgroups) known as "Usenet", these posts
going to one newsgroup, misc.kids specifically.

Folks here (including me) have been posting for a long, long time, and there is
a lot of give and take and lively discussion here. Having your say, then
telling other people to shut up, just plain don't fly around here. In fact,
it's usually a good idea to lurk for a while to see what the tenor is of any
particular group before jumping in.

Not saying you should go back to lurking, but you really need to change your
expectations as to what happens here.

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids
arabella via FamilyKB.com

Banty wrote:
What do you tell a 6 yo who's worried people around him are going to die?
My dad was telling DS how old he is today and how he is going to die. He's

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
[...]

I never said "shut up". What I said is there is no reason to come at me like
I have no right to post my opinion. You shouldn't attack me because I gave
advice, and it makes it seem that you do not welcome new people to the group.
In fact, you were pretty much telling me I had not right to post a comment.

Old October 30th 07, 05:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:25:22 GMT, "arabella via FamilyKB.com"
u38656@uwe wrote:

You are not the boss of me

Oh ffs. Are you serious!?

Nan

Old October 30th 07, 05:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article 7a78b8cc3d80d@uwe, arabella via FamilyKB.com says...

Banty wrote:
[...]

Of course you are welcome to post here. You can (and probably will) get
vigorous argument, though, and you need to distinguish strong disagreement from
being told to go away.

Folks might way "you don't have a right"; they may mean what they say or it may
be a manner of speaking - it's up to YOU do respond as to why you do, or why
you're right, or what you really meant, that you changed your mind (hey, it
happens, even on Usenet), or whatever.

You came in here telling someone what they *"must"* do regarding religious
teaching for their child. It should be no surprise to you that people may
disagree with that, sometimes strongly.

No one is going to put on kid gloves for you, especially when you're throwing
punches yourself.

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"arabella via FamilyKB.com" u38656@uwe wrote in message
You nor Banty are Kelis,

What does Neelix's wife have to do with this?

Old October 30th 07, 05:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article r0KVi.2876$p%.1144@trndny03, deja.blues says...

You nor Banty are Kelis,

What does Neelix's wife have to do with this?

Maybe she hopes we'll have short life spans.. :-)

I googled it and came up with a hip hop star...

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 05:45 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Nan wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:25:22 GMT, "arabella via
FamilyKB.com" u38656@uwe wrote:

You are not the boss of me

Oh ffs. Are you serious!?

see that 'via FamilyKB'? everyone that has posted here from
there has been, um, trying to be polite a bit
self-important.
they also tend to go away rather quickly since they aren't
getting ego strokes...
lee cynical
Old October 30th 07, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:45:57 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Nan wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:25:22 GMT, "arabella via
FamilyKB.com" u38656@uwe wrote:

You are not the boss of me

Oh ffs. Are you serious!?

see that 'via FamilyKB'? everyone that has posted here from
there has been, um, trying to be polite a bit
self-important.

ignorant, juvenile, quick to cry "foul"?

they also tend to go away rather quickly since they aren't
getting ego strokes...

Good.

Nan

Old October 30th 07, 08:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , enigma says...

Nan wrote in
:

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:25:22 GMT, "arabella via
FamilyKB.com" u38656@uwe wrote:

You are not the boss of me

Oh ffs. Are you serious!?

see that 'via FamilyKB'? everyone that has posted here from
there has been, um, trying to be polite a bit
self-important.

Seems to be common traits of *all* our recent visitors! What gives?

Banty

Old October 30th 07, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:00:21 -0700, Beliavsky
wrote:

I am guilty above of what I criticized Banty for, but I don't see how
the Roman Catholic religion today is harming people who don't believe
it.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N22220157.htm

EGUCIGALPA, Oct 22 (Reuters) - The rapid spread in Latin America of
the virus that causes AIDs is made worse by the Roman Catholic
Church's stand against using condoms, a U.N. official said on Monday.

Some 1.7 million people across Latin America are infected with the HIV
virus or full-blown AIDS, and the epidemic is spreading swiftly with
up to 410,000 new cases in 2006, up from as many as 320,000 new cases
in 2004, according the UN AIDS program, UNAIDS.

"In Latin America the use of condoms has been demonized, but if they
were used in every relation I guarantee the epidemic would be resolved
in the region," said Alberto Stella, the UNAIDS Coordinator for
Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

The Catholic Church, which holds sway in Latin America despite the
rise in evangelical churches, opposes all forms of contraception and
instead promotes abstinence as a way to avoid spreading AIDS.

"The fact young people start to be sexually active between 15 and 19
without sex education contributes to the spreading of the virus, as
well as the fact that the evidence shows abstinence is not working,"
Stella told Reuters.

Latin America is home to nearly half the world's 1.1 billion
Catholics, but the Church's position on premarital sex and
contraception often clashes with modern values. Brazil, the region's
largest Catholic nation, regularly distributes free condoms to try and
bring down HIV infection rates.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7832486/

The relentless spread of AIDS in Africa already has forced many
churches to grapple with sensitive subjects of sexuality and death
among the young and put Roman Catholics at odds with officials over
the Vatican’s opposition to condoms. But some pastors and scholars
believe the coming decades could push churches in Africa to reorder
basic theology — placing social assistance and health care ahead of
traditional preaching and evangelism.

***************************
Sub-Saharan Africa accounts for more than 60 percent of the 40 million
people infected with HIV worldwide. In March, a U.N. study predicted
more than 80 million Africans may die from AIDS by 2025 and infections
could soar to 90 million — or more than 10 percent of the continent’s
population — if more isn’t done to expand prevention programs and
offer better access to drugs that can control the virus.

**************************

The Vatican opposes the use of condoms, which can block the spread of
AIDS, but even some top prelates have raised questions about whether
it’s more “sinful” to transmit the virus than protect sexual partners.
Catholics account for nearly a third of Africa’s 400 million
Christians and nearly every denomination has reported dramatic growth
in recent decades.

But cries of religious condemnation against AIDS sufferers in Africa
are still widespread.

“Messages like ‘AIDS is God’s punishment for sin,’ are still very much
present,” said the Rev. Johannes Petrus Heath, a South African-based
Anglican who operates a confidential network for African religious
leaders infected by HIV.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits