Name suggestions please

Old June 2nd 04, 01:41 AM
Leslie

Default Name suggestions please

Harry is my 2nd fav name ... its not too common here, but everyone
knows it. The problem is that I don't like "Harold" ... so we'd have to
pick "Harrison" which I'm less fond of.... so its not firm even with me
(although DH doesn't *hate* it).

Hey, but you say below that you like Henry--and that's what Harry is
traditionally a nickname for (Prince Harry of England in really Henry). So
name him Henry, call him Harry. :-)

Leslie
Old June 2nd 04, 02:48 AM
Zannah

In article ,
"Melody" wrote:

Yes, American births. Go to this site --
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ -- there's a form down on the page

where
you can request the top 1000 names of 2003. This site also lets you view
the top 1000 of different decades, for every decade of the 20th century.

Good grief, the boy list from 2003 (starting at the bottom of the 1000 name
list & going up) looks like a reverse spelling bee. WTF are these people
thinking?

I read some of the entries on my list to my mother. She kept on saying
"are you sure this is real?" and "haven't we had Michaela already?" ("No
ma, this is a *different* spelling.")

Z.
Old June 2nd 04, 03:59 PM
Circe

Leslie wrote:
Harry is my 2nd fav name ... its not too common here, but everyone
knows it. The problem is that I don't like "Harold" ... so we'd
have to pick "Harrison" which I'm less fond of.... so its not firm
even with me (although DH doesn't *hate* it).

Hey, but you say below that you like Henry--and that's what Harry is
traditionally a nickname for (Prince Harry of England in really
Henry). So name him Henry, call him Harry. :-)

Darn it, Leslie, you beat me to it! I was going to say the exact same thing.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 2nd 04, 05:19 PM
Leslie

Barbara said:

Darn it, Leslie, you beat me to it! I was going to say the exact same thing

Great minds think alilke! :-)

Leslie

Old June 2nd 04, 10:20 PM
A&G&K

"Leslie" wrote in message
Harry is my 2nd fav name ... its not too common here, but everyone
knows it. The problem is that I don't like "Harold" ... so we'd have to
pick "Harrison" which I'm less fond of.... so its not firm even with me
(although DH doesn't *hate* it).

Hey, but you say below that you like Henry--and that's what Harry is
traditionally a nickname for (Prince Harry of England in really Henry).

So
name him Henry, call him Harry. :-)

Leslie

Thanks Leslie ... the problem that I didn't explain is that while DH is OK
with "Harry" he hates "Henry"

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 3rd 04, 02:38 AM
Leslie

Thanks Leslie ... the problem that I didn't explain is that while DH is OK
with "Harry" he hates "Henry"

But if you never, ever call him Henry?

Leslie
Old June 3rd 04, 06:16 AM
Tori M.

I always have wanted a girl named Elyzabeth (yes I know spelled wrong but I
like the "y") and nicknamed Ely. Also I wanted a Katherine nicknamed Kat
but dh shot both down. It is ok sinces I shot down John Wayne and several
of his boy choices
I am still trying to root for a Henry though.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"A&G&K" wrote in message
OK ... I'm after any and all suggestions.
It feels like pulling teeth to have to ask others for suggestions, but I
figure that asking you guys is probably the best bet for a lot of input
without any great expectations that we will use your suggestion (unlike my
MIL who has been pushing for a name she knows we don't like).

We have our list together, but are having a few issues in finding the
*right* name. We need to pick out both a boys and a girls name.

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time, and we'd
prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year (but even if its

most popular Australian name for the year, that won't stop us using it if

we
both manage to really like it). DH has had some good suggestions and some
hideously awful ones as well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2
that push my buttons).
'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname 'Lizzie'), I

love
'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'. I also like the names 'Harry' and
'Angus' (but have already been vetoed on Angus).
Our last name is 'Wright' (which rules out Orville, Wilbur, Eileen, Shelby
and others that make silly sayings).
All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 3rd 04, 04:40 PM
Irene

"A&G&K" wrote in message ...
OK ... I'm after any and all suggestions.
It feels like pulling teeth to have to ask others for suggestions, but I
figure that asking you guys is probably the best bet for a lot of input
without any great expectations that we will use your suggestion (unlike my
MIL who has been pushing for a name she knows we don't like).

We have our list together, but are having a few issues in finding the
*right* name. We need to pick out both a boys and a girls name.

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time, and we'd
prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year (but even if its #1
most popular Australian name for the year, that won't stop us using it if we
both manage to really like it). DH has had some good suggestions and some
hideously awful ones as well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2
that push my buttons).
'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname 'Lizzie'), I love
'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'.

How about Josephine Sophia Wright? I think that sounds really nice
together, and then you get both of your favorites!

I've got a Thomas Alexander, so obviously I like those names. Names
under consideration if this one had been a boy:

Marcus Ethan (Ethan is highly popular here, but I didn't think that
was a problem for a middle name)
Theodore
Griffin

If I didn't already have a Thomas, I might've considered Timothy or
Tobias, but I didn't want to have Tommy and Timmy, or Tommy and Toby!
;-)

Other boy names I like (but out for various reasons) were
Nathan/Nathaniel, Brian, Andrew, Matthew, Sebastian, Logan

I had long ago vetoed John or Jonathan because I knew way too many of
them growing up, but it seems like that name has fallen out of favor
(maybe everyone thought that?) (It also violated the no ex-boyfriend
names rule in a big way.)

Have fun choosing!

Irene
Old June 3rd 04, 10:11 PM
A&G&K

"Tori M." wrote in message
I always have wanted a girl named Elyzabeth (yes I know spelled wrong but

like the "y") and nicknamed Ely. Also I wanted a Katherine nicknamed Kat
but dh shot both down. It is ok sinces I shot down John Wayne and several
of his boy choices
I am still trying to root for a Henry though.

Tori

I like your name suggestions Tori ... and why is it that DH's can suggest
names that are either really boring or really silly? DH has had a few good
suggestions, but nothing that really grabs me.
... oh ... and don't take this the wrong way ... but LOL about your last
sentence .... in Australia that would be considered somewhat of a Freudian
slip ("root" is a crass colloquialism for having sex
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 4th 04, 03:19 AM
Tori M.

... oh ... and don't take this the wrong way ... but LOL about your last
sentence .... in Australia that would be considered somewhat of a Freudian
slip ("root" is a crass colloquialism for having sex
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
EDD 19th August 2004

Figures! Haha that is too funny I will keep that in mind *blush* It gives
the Baseball song a whole new meaning when you Root Root Root for the home
team huh

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

C-section - care package for recovery - suggestions? John Pregnancy 8 January 19th 04 10:55 PM
Need suggestions: toys to bring on airplane for a 1-year-old dodo General 8 January 5th 04 03:47 PM
Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions? andrea baker General (moderated) 29 January 2nd 04 12:08 PM
gift suggestions P. Tierney General 9 December 9th 03 04:12 AM
Bra suggestions Larry McMahan Pregnancy 4 August 6th 03 05:08 PM