Rachel gained weight, yay!

Old June 1st 04, 09:36 PM
Jill

Default Rachel gained weight, yay!

I was worried about her weigh-in today, since the pediatrician was not
liking the fact that Rachel did not regain the weight she lost after birth,
at her 2 week visit. (At birth, 7 lb 11oz...at week 1 was 7 lb 2 oz ... week
2 was 7 lb 6 oz when they really wanted her to be back at 7/11... etc). I
wasn't tempted to focus on a few ounces so much but since the pediatrician
was concerned, and I am breastfeeding and she spits up a lot, it was sort of
worrying me.

I only know one other friend of all who have had babies recently who (WAS)
breastfeeding, and her baby is 2 weeks older than Rachel (Rachel is 3 weeks
and 2 days old now!). I was unhappy to hear that this friend is no longer
breastfeeding, because her MOTHER (the grandma) kept telling her that her
baby wasn't getting enough to eat! After a few weeks of nagging and being
told breastfeeding wasn't enough, this friend finally stopped breastfeeding,
because everyone wanted her to. Now, I don't have a problem with formula
feeding at all if it's someone's own choice and decision or necessity, but I
do have a problem with the lack of breastfeeding support especially since
people have tried the very same thing on me. The grandmas are REALLY really
bad about taking it upon themselves to inform you that breastmilk is "not
enough" and "formula is better" and "why don't you just switch on over to
formula". It annoys me especially when breastfeeding is going so well, and
it was going well for my friend. I'm not having any of it and have addressed
the issue, but my friend believed her mother knew best and that she was
doing her baby wrong by breastfeeding. (My other friends' babies are doing
good on formula, they never started out breastfeeding). So this is just a
vent. But WHY do grandmas butt in, when even the doctors says the baby is
doing well on breastmilk? None of these women breastfed and they don't want
their grandkids being breastfed and I find that sooo offensive that they
butt in over it! My mom was pushing me to formula to, and I nipped that in
the bud. If I wasn't fortunate enough to be having no problems with
breastfeeding, it would be so frustrating not to have support...and when the
pediatrician was concerned about Rachel's slow weight gain, that started up
the who issue of breastfeeding not being good for the baby. sigh....

Anyway, woo-hoo! Rachel is up to 7 lbs 13 oz! Nursing like crazy. She
refuses bottles of expressed milk. This is not a problem for me but I do
wish I *could* have one uninterrupted nap with Dad feeding her on a weekend
or evening. She nurses frequently, every 2 hours and sometimes less.
Sometime I really need to be able to leave her for a few hours to go to
appointments etc so I do hope she will accept a bottle of expressed milk
occasionally. I still do hope she gains a little more, and more rapidly; I
guess she is going to be a little peanut for awhile.

I really do find that I am enjoying nursing her so much! This has been the
biggest surprise to me. I keep saying that, but it really has been a
pleasant surprise. It's been so easy and worked out so well for us. I knew I
wanted her to have the benefits of breastmilk, I just thought maybe it would
feel like a chore or something I was trying to get through for her. It
forces me to drop what I am doing, and for a while there is nothing in the
world except for me and her, and I feel so protective and nurturing toward
her! Not that bottle feeding wouldn't make that possible too, I am just
delighted that I feel this way. It's a new feeling! I really do think if I
had to go back to work soon, I wouldn't be able to succesfully breastfeed, I
think that makes a big difference for me....

Jill

Old June 1st 04, 09:49 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:36:01 +0000, Jill wrote:

But WHY do grandmas butt in, when even the doctors says the baby is
doing well on breastmilk? None of these women breastfed and they don't want
their grandkids being breastfed and I find that sooo offensive that they
butt in over it!

Because that is what they have been told over and over and over. Imagine
you would hear that something you've done all your life is suddenly the
"wrong" thing to do? All the time you wanted best for you kids, and out of
the blue comes this doctor and tells you, it's not the best, you could
have done better?

For some it's in a way admitting their own failure not to BF, for others
it's just not true that BF is better even if we all know it is. It's a
nasty vicious circle that was started several decades ago. By their
behaviour these grandma's will ensure their grandchildren will also
believe BF is not good, but the change is already happening. You are one
of many mothers who decided to make her OWN choice and do it different.

Anyway, woo-hoo! Rachel is up to 7 lbs 13 oz! Nursing like crazy.

Way to go Jill & Rachel!!

I really do find that I am enjoying nursing her so much! This has been the
biggest surprise to me.

It's what your body was made for. All "natural" behaviour makes us feel
good, that's the hormones chiming in and confirming that this is what you
need to do to sustain the species. I couldn't care less about this when I
was BF-ing DS, but it is remarkable how nature works sometimes.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old June 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
Larissa

Jill wrote:
[...]

Good on you for standing up for your daughter. It is wonderful you are
not having any breastfeeding problems. As they grow their feeds will
decrease in frequency and length and you may be able to leave Rachel, if
you need to.

As a parent you find yourself bombarded by other peoples opinions,
whether you want to hear them or not. The subject can be anything,
breastfeeding, sleeping, routines, solids, everything, just trust your
instincts and do what you feel is right for you and your family.

Larissa

Old June 2nd 04, 12:56 AM
Jamie Clark

Congrats, Jill & Rachel! I'm so pleased.

And please remember that Rachel is still so very new. IN a very short
period of time, her nursing sessions will begin to stretch out and you'll
get more and more time in between.

Congrats on everything!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old June 2nd 04, 02:04 PM
Jill

"Larissa" wrote
As a parent you find yourself bombarded by other peoples opinions,
whether you want to hear them or not. The subject can be anything,
breastfeeding, sleeping, routines, solids, everything, just trust your
instincts and do what you feel is right for you and your family.

yes, I am dealing with from all sides of the family. Both grandmas are in a
tizzy because I don't use baby oil and baby powder on the baby. My mom
insists I "need" baby powder and I should "just let" her powder the baby up
and I will see that she needed it. She doesn't believe that baby powder is
not recommended anymore- even the hospital advised us not to use it in
writing, and daycares do not use it at all either. Some parents still do I
am sure but it is so unnecessary (for Rachel)....my mom says that's wrong
and she DOES need it. I have to listen to it every day I talk to her. It's
so annoying because the scent of most powders gives me a headache and the
unscented ones still stuff my nose up, andI have sensitive skin and so does
a baby. etc etc etc.

So, I am wrong for breastfeeding because it's not really the ideal baby
food, I am horror for not using baby powder and baby oil, it's a nightmare
that I don't use a pacifier, (hey, Rachel doesn't like them so it's not an
issue-- she refuses them!), and this is the one that irritates me the most-I
am making the baby cold because I don't dress her in a coat and cover her in
a blanket because we use the air conditioner. My mom went with me to one dr
appointment on a 90 degree (F) day, and was in an uproar because I refused
to dress the baby in a thick longsleeved outfit and cover her in a fleece
blanket....the poor thing was sweating. My mom covered in the fleece blanket
anyway and I removed it. My MIL is bad about this too no matter how many
times I show them the SIDS info about not overbundling them and how room
temperature is fine- MIL thinks 72 or 73 degrees is too cold for a baby in
the house! sheesh. Rachel cries when she is hot.

It's driving me crazy. I handle it because I just don't listen to them or
satisfy them by heeding their "advice", but they keep on and it is so
annoying. A dr said Rachel was getting enough to eat when my mom said she
wasn't and I reminded my mom of that every time she started that, and she
said "I am the grandma and I will punch their face if they think they are
going to tell me thebaby is getting enough to eat when I say she is not."
she wasn't serious about punching them but she really seems to think she
knows more than doctors. sigh.

Old June 2nd 04, 02:22 PM
Angela Schepers

My mom and gran visited this past weekend and my mom tried to convince
me that I was keeping our house too cold with the air conditioner on. I
think it's set t 75 degrees and normally it would be lower but I was
slightly concerned about Quinn getting too chilly. She kept telling me
the reason he was so fussy was because he was cold even though I had him
in a body sleeper which was no doubt warm enough for him. *sigh* I
ended up having to pull a fleece blanket off him as well because he was
getting even more cranky with the blanket on than off. Quinn generally
likes to stay pretty warm but sheesh... he doesn't need to be
smothered. I've experienced a lot of this from people of my parents
generation. It does get pretty annoying after a while. I just try to
ignore it and remember that my Mom isn't around the baby all that often
so I can deal with it for a few hours every so often and if she brings
it up in a phone conversation I quickly change the subject, lol.

Just remember that nobody knows your baby as well as you do so stick to
your guns.

Angela
DS 5/07/04

Old June 2nd 04, 07:00 PM
JennP

"Jill" wrote in message
m...

It's driving me crazy. I handle it because I just don't listen to them or
satisfy them by heeding their "advice", but they keep on and it is so
annoying. A dr said Rachel was getting enough to eat when my mom said she
wasn't and I reminded my mom of that every time she started that, and she
said "I am the grandma and I will punch their face if they think they are
going to tell me thebaby is getting enough to eat when I say she is not."
she wasn't serious about punching them but she really seems to think she
knows more than doctors. sigh.

Just wondering, maybe you explained already, but if you know your mother is
so intrusive, why would you bring her to a pediatrician's appointment?
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 2nd 04, 07:09 PM
Coccinella

How wonderful Jill! Glad to read that you are still on cloud 18!

Love
--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old June 3rd 04, 12:52 AM
Jamie Clark

A dr said Rachel was getting enough to eat when my mom said she
wasn't and I reminded my mom of that every time she started that, and she
said "I am the grandma and I will punch their face if they think they are
going to tell me thebaby is getting enough to eat when I say she is not."
she wasn't serious about punching them but she really seems to think she
knows more than doctors. sigh.

Jill,
So then you should respond -- "Well, I'm the MOMMA, and if I say she's
getting enough food, then she is! How about we leave it at that, Grandma!"

Weight Gain Question Mickee General 4 May 6th 04 10:02 PM
Should I worry about my weight? Elitsirk Pregnancy 33 May 1st 04 11:34 PM
My Weight loss Story Jenny General 39 April 30th 04 05:04 PM
I am gaining weight now!! Jill Pregnancy 1 December 28th 03 07:58 AM
Losing weight during first trimester.... Jill Pregnancy 55 December 10th 03 11:51 PM