bachache from side-lying

Old March 31st 04, 03:13 PM
Nevermind

Default bachache from side-lying

My Dh and I have officially given up on getting our 15 MO to sleep in
her crib until morning (meaning 5-ish). We don't actually mind her
being in the bed; it's the constant nursing I'm bothered by.

This particular baby has taken to nursing a LOT at night these days,
and now that she is getting long, that means that when I'm nursing her
in the sidelying position in bed, I can't bend my knees. (Her body is
where my bent knees would be.) This appears to be the cause of some
pretty bad bachache overnight, which is waking me up a lot, and I'm
also noticing back twinges during the day now, presumably from the
stress I'm putting on my back overnight.

This baby used to accept a pacifier for most of her night wakings,
whether she was in the bed with us or in the crib, but these days, in
bed, she refuses the pacifier and insists on the breast. I *will*
address this issue soon, as I have no intention of nursing her all
night long at this age, but until I get the gumption to do that, it's
going to mean nursing a lot from about 2 a.m., when she comes into our
bed, until about 7 a.m. But the bachache could be a dealbreaker!

Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back? (Am I the only one who has this
problem?) Thanks!
Old March 31st 04, 04:02 PM
Cat

"Nevermind" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back? (Am I the only one who has this
problem?) Thanks!

Get yourself a good long pillow and place it behind you. That way you can
sort of half lean on it and won't use your back muscles to keep your
balance.

Bend one leg but put it sort of behind you. Again to keep your balance.

Tine, Denmark

Old March 31st 04, 05:38 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Nevermind wrote:

Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back? (Am I the only one who has this
problem?) Thanks!

Get dh to cram some firm pillows along your back and legs so you can
lean on the pillows.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 31st 04, 06:02 PM
Sara

Cat wrote:

"Nevermind" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back? (Am I the only one who has this
problem?) Thanks!

Get yourself a good long pillow and place it behind you. That way you can
sort of half lean on it and won't use your back muscles to keep your
balance.

Bend one leg but put it sort of behind you. Again to keep your balance.

Agreed. Plus just get your legs all tangled up with your baby's.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old March 31st 04, 06:16 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Nevermind wrote:

Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back?

What everyone else has said about stuffing pillows behind your back. I
prefer to nurse from the top side, so I can sleep leaning over
Caterpillar. I also make her bend her knees so I can put mine up, but
I'm mean.

Phoebe

Old March 31st 04, 08:28 PM
Cat

"Sara" skrev i en meddelelse
Cat wrote:

Get yourself a good long pillow and place it behind you. That way you

can
sort of half lean on it and won't use your back muscles to keep your
balance.

Bend one leg but put it sort of behind you. Again to keep your balance.

Agreed. Plus just get your legs all tangled up with your baby's.

I suddenly remembered. I bend my legs and put babys legs over mine. Only
works when she is on her back.

Tine, Denmark

Old March 31st 04, 08:47 PM
zeldabee

Cat was all, like:
"Sara" ...
Cat wrote:

Get yourself a good long pillow and place it behind you. That way
you can sort of half lean on it and won't use your back muscles to
keep your balance.

Bend one leg but put it sort of behind you. Again to keep your
balance.

Agreed. Plus just get your legs all tangled up with your baby's.

I suddenly remembered. I bend my legs and put babys legs over mine.
Only works when she is on her back.

We do this. I never thought about it, though. I'll have to pay attention to
how we sleep, because it seems to me that Sprogly lies on his side, but I
wouldn't be able to sleep on my side with my legs straight. As it is, my
back gets a little sore if I stay on one side for too long. I have to gently
extricate myself and lie on my back after a while.

Old April 1st 04, 12:51 AM
Barbara Warner

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
Nevermind wrote:

Any advice on nursing an older (i.e., longer) baby on your side
without stressing out your back?

What everyone else has said about stuffing pillows behind your back.

We use rolled up towels for this purpose; they're the right size (long
and lean) for this purpose, but they require re-rolling every once and a
while.

HTH
Barbara

Old April 1st 04, 08:18 PM
iphigenia

Cat wrote:

I suddenly remembered. I bend my legs and put babys legs over mine.
Only works when she is on her back.

This morning we were having a side-lying nursing session and I noticed that
this is how we were positioned.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old April 2nd 04, 12:04 PM
Linz

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:18:53 -0700, "iphigenia"
wrote:

Cat wrote:

I suddenly remembered. I bend my legs and put babys legs over mine.
Only works when she is on her back.

This morning we were having a side-lying nursing session and I noticed that
this is how we were positioned.

I'd just like to say I tried that last night for the first time. I got
good quality sleep without backache!
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 17lbs

lying Kane General 0 February 13th 04 07:30 PM
Sleeping on the side? Khan Pregnancy 10 September 10th 03 04:44 AM
Baby preferring one side Cathy Breastfeeding 0 July 29th 03 04:27 AM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker General 2 July 28th 03 02:17 PM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker Kids Health 2 July 28th 03 01:49 PM