Bf help please

Old March 31st 04, 06:59 AM
HollyLewis

Default Bf help please

What I was wondering before and now is how often should she be nursing in a
24 hr period?

At least 6 or 7 times in 24 hours, although 12 times would not be unusual in a
4-month-old, and 8-10 is most typical.

In addition to the things others have suggested, I would encourage you to carry
your DD around in a sling as much of the day as you can -- especially during
that 3-9 crazy period -- and learn to nurse her while she's in it. She's
likely to eat more often and more calmly that way, and you may be able to learn
how to break up a fight between your older boys without having to unlatch her.
:-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 31st 04, 08:56 AM
Lara

Penny wrote:

Ok that's 1 thing I was not sure about ,if it was just dairy or a lactose
thing.With the boys we thought it was a lactose thing because the 1st reg
formula gave them big problems then tried soy same trouble so the only
formula they could eat was nutramigen (very expensive!)

Nutramigen has hydrolysed protein which renders it non-allergenic (or
mostly non-allergenic); it is generally well tolerated by babies who are
dairy protein allergic.

Your baby can drink your milk; hence, your baby is not lactose
intolerant. Period. If a health care worker tries to tell you that
lactose intolerance is the diagnosis, fire them and get someone who
knows what he or she is doing. Your baby reacts to dairy in your diet;
this means that your baby has an intolerance of dairy _protein_. The
difference is important.

Congenital lactase deficiency (lactose intolerance) in infancy is a
_vanishingly rare_ metabolic defect, with maybe fifty cases reported in
the world. It presents with severe symptoms in the first week of life.
Babies with this disorder are completely unable to tolerate mother's
milk regardless of her diet.

Lara
Old April 3rd 04, 06:23 AM
Penny

Default Bf help please/update

I was going to reply to each reply I got but its just been busy busy around
here and its been several days since I have even got the chance to check
email or newsgroups anyway wanted to give a quick update .
Our problems seem to have passed ,Mandy is back to bf with no problems
She is teething though but it's not causing any problems with bf except
for having to pry her fingers out of her mouth. she chews on them
constantly.
Tomorrow I am going to get some of those teething tablets mentioned here .

Thanks for the advice!

--
Penny 12/16/70
Mom of