Spanking and non-cp alternatives compared

Old January 18th 07, 08:04 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Doan

Default Spanking and non-cp alternatives compared

Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1

This meta-analysis investigates differences between the effect sizes of
physical punishment and alternative disciplinary tactics for child
outcomes in 26 qualifying studies. Analyzing differences in effect sizes
reduces systematic biases and emphasizes direct comparisons between
the disciplinary tactics that parents have to select among. The results
indicated that effect sizes significantly favored conditional spanking
over 10 of 13 alternative disciplinary tactics for reducing child
noncompliance or antisocial behavior. Customary physical punishment
yielded effect sizes equal to alternative tactics, except for one
large study favoring physical punishment. Only overly severe or
predominant use of physical punishment compared unfavorably with
alternative disciplinary tactics. The discussion highlights the need for
better discriminations between effective and counterproductive use of
disciplinary punishment in general.

KEY WORDS: children; parenting; discipline; punishment; spanking.
Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review,
Vol. 8, No. 1, March 2005 ( Copyright 2005)

Maybe Kane already has copy in his "file cabinet". ;-)

Doan

Old January 19th 07, 02:13 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
0:->

Default Argument out of the past, and done then...was... Spanking andnon-cp alternatives compared

Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1

Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right
leaning religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking
proponents. Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

He and they have been seriously punished by researchers who reviewed his
work. Peers.

In an exchange, for instance, between he and Joan E. Durrant, the
researcher that followed the Swedish results of their legal outlawing of
CP on children he takes a considerable shellacking ... especially for
method. And honesty.

She is at this school,
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/hu..._durrant.shtml

,,, and remarks rebuttal on this: Durrant, J.E. (2005). Law Reform and
Corporal Punishment in Sweden: Response to Robert Larzelere, the
Christian Institute and Families First.

Durrant, J.E. (2005). Law Reform and Corporal Punishment in Sweden:
Response to Robert Larzelere, the Christian Institute and Families
First. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba, Department of Family Social
Sciences.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/hu...20First.pdfand

http://tinyurl.com/y3f5fy

I'm fascinated about the two schools, The University of Manitoba, and
the Christian Institute and the organization Families First.

Aren't you?

[...]

The piece above is jammed with carefully crafted qualifiers, that give
away the paucity of real evidence to back the author's claims.

In fact it reminds me of the meandering babbles of some posters to these
newsgroups that attempt to address this and other subjects.

KEY WORDS: children; parenting; discipline; punishment; spanking.
Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review,
Vol. 8, No. 1, March 2005 ( Copyright 2005)

And was there any response to the publishing of this?

Well, I have a response to the same researcher, Robert E. Larzelere,
from another researcher when he attempt to rebut her findings.

It might give you a bit of an idea what Robert E. Larzelere is about.

Maybe Kane already has copy in his "file cabinet". ;-)

No, it's available on line, along with Ms Durrant's rebuttal, at:

http://tinyurl.com/y3f5fy

Enjoy, for the third or fourth time I've posted this. 0:-

From the close of Durrant's article: (notice her pointing out the error
of trying to draw "causal" conclusions from none causal source. 0:-]

It is not difficult to see she is dealing with bigotry and very nicely
exposes it.

"Larzelere’s Main Conclusion
Larzelere concludes his booklet by stating, “at every point, the
evidence contradicts Dr. Durrant’s conclusions” (p. 14). He could only
have arrived at this statement by ignoring all of the information
that I have reiterated here, and more. He goes on to write, “before
other countries follow Sweden’s example of a smacking ban, they need to
explain Sweden’s subsequent increase in child abuse and criminal
assaults, if they hope to avoid those consequences of the Swedish
example” (p. 14-15).

This statement is misleading for the following reasons.

1. Larzelere again presents reporting statistics as true assault
statistics, a serious error to which I have already referred.

2. Second, Larzelere attributes shifts in those reporting statistics
directly to the corporal punishment ban. In fact, he makes a point of
emphasizing this causal conclusion by repeating it: “As one of the least
violent countries in the world, perhaps Sweden can afford a six-fold
increase in criminal assaults by minors against minors. Most countries
cannot risk a six-fold increase in criminal assaults by
minors” (p. 15).

The authors of the booklet’s foreword (Norman Wells of Families First
and Colin Hart of The Christian Institute) repeat it again:
“[Larzelere] concludes that perhaps countries with a historically low
level of violence – like Sweden – may be able to cope with a six-fold
increase in child-on-child assault. Other countries – like the UK –
cannot” (p. 3).

In another publication from Families First (undated), this conclusion
appears again: “The inadvisability of legislating against the use of
physical chastisement by parents is further reinforced by findings which
suggest that such a measure may, in fact, contribute to an increase of
violence and abuse against children rather than reduce it” (p. 29).

The degree of oversimplification apparent in this conclusion is very
surprising, particularly as Larzelere’s voice has been perhaps the most
ardent in cautioning readers against drawing causal
conclusions regarding the negative outcomes consistently associated with
corporal punishment in the literature (e.g., Baumrind, Larzelere, &
Cowan, 2002).

While studies that have controlled for a wide range of variables have
not been viewed by Larzelere as adequate for attributing negative
outcomes to corporal punishment – even if those outcomes are consistent
across large numbers of studies (Gershoff, 2002) - he is confident in
attributing extremely complex social trends, in a nation of which he has
little knowledge, to one single historical event.

In drawing this simplistic conclusion, he has neglected to consider
potential confounding variables as fundamental as changes in
population size, let alone familiarizing himself with shifts in law
enforcement, changes in methods of statistical record-keeping, or
reforms of criminal and civil legislation over time.
29

3. Larzelere may not be aware that 14 countries already have followed
Sweden’s example by banning physical punishment of children. They are
Finland (1983), Norway (1987), Austria (1989), Denmark (1994/1997),
Cyprus (1994), Latvia (1998), Croatia (1998), Bulgaria (2000), Israel
(2000), Germany (2000), Iceland (2003), Hungary (2004), Ukraine (2004),
and Romania (2005) .

These bans were not passed on the basis of irrefutable evidence of bans’
positive effects. Rather, they were passed on principle – to give
children and adults equal protection from assault. Larzelere’s
suggestion that a law affirming children’s rights to protection must
first be demonstrably successful by some measure misses the point of
these laws.

By Larzelere’s logic, we should not have a law protecting adults from
assault if we find that assaults increase in nations with such laws.
Certainly we would never consider such a thing. Instead, we would
search for the true causes of violence and seek to end them. But we
would never sacrifice our assault laws simply because they have not
eradicated assault.

References 30
Response to Larzelere

Summary
Larzelere’s booklet is based on superficial analysis of complex data. In
it, he misinterprets statistics, draws unfounded conclusions, and
demonstrates a lack of knowledge of Swedish society. His publication
is a polemic that serves no useful purpose in this important debate.

I hope all readers enjoyed this. I know I did.

So, back at'cha Greg.

Got any real argument, logic, facts, data, even an apology for being a
twit would suffice.

I'm happy to debate you, and you alone on this issue. When we are
finished, if we do, I'll be happy to take on the next one, one at a time.

Of course if you can't gang up you cowards run, don't you?

Oh, and for the record, I don't argue or debate liars very many times
without eventually ****baggin' em, just like I've done with a couple of
your buddies. There time with me responding directly with them is done.

Liars bring that on themselves. Others become disgusted and nauseous
over the garbage throw from such ignorant violators of simple debate.

0:-]

Doan

Old January 19th 07, 12:06 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
krp

"Greegor" wrote in message
ps.com...

Doan wrote:
[...]

No it is the GOSPEL ACCORDING TO KANE! EVERYONE ELSE IS A LIAR!!

Old January 19th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
krp

"0:-" wrote in message
news:99adnYsB84fxtC3YnZ2dnUVZ_oGlnZ2d@scnresearch. com...
Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1

Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right leaning
religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking proponents.
Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

HEY ****HEAD

Do you know what a META-ANALYSIS is? Huh dip****?

NO!!!!

Old January 19th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1

Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right leaning
religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking proponents.
Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

HEY ****HEAD

Aw....such a nice little fellow.

How'd you like my mimicking of you yesterday, Ken?

I wanted people to not miss what they invited an encourages to come
here....a vile, dishonest, bloward fraud such as you.

The only difference being, in my act, I was telling the truth.

Mimicking the style of delivery.

See, you just did it to open your stupid comments in reply to me.

Do you know what a META-ANALYSIS is? Huh dip****?

Sure do.

NO!!!!

Sorry I do.

Do you know what error contaminated conclusions are, Ken?

That "meta analysis" was one. Great example.

Attempting.....RR R R R R .... to draw more from correlations than
actually were there in the originals being examined, and missing what
was.

The authors of the analysis are a pack of obvious right wing parent's
right to beat their children drum bangers.

Nothing new.

Or wonderful.

Up against real scientists such as Ms Durrant.

Pretty funny, really. I laugh at them all the time, and at Doan when he
referres to the main author as a scienific source. He doesn't even meet
Doan's requirement for cause based science.

You are showing increasingly how very stupid you are.

You can't shove your nonsense down people's throat, Ken, because no one
is as stupid as you project them to be by your own lack of
intelligence.

Like so many clowns that can wallow in their delusions in this medium,
you make a spectacle of yourself and don't have to answer for it, as
you do in the real world.

0:-]

Old January 19th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
Doan

Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1

Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right leaning
religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking proponents.
Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

HEY ****HEAD

Do you know what a META-ANALYSIS is? Huh dip****?

NO!!!!

Kane claimed he is a "published researcher". He even claimed that he is
on a secret mailing list (listserv) with Dr. Straus! I am impressed! ;-)
Maybe he can tell Dr. Straus that using dummies in car crash studies
makes those studies correlational! Dr. Straus could learn a thing or
two from him. What a STUPID idiot this Kane is!

Doan

Old January 19th 07, 06:42 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
0:->

Doan wrote:

Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1
Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right leaning
religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking proponents.
Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

HEY ****HEAD

Do you know what a META-ANALYSIS is? Huh dip****?

NO!!!!

Kane claimed he is a "published researcher".

Nope. You are lying. I've said I was a researcher. I am.

In another conversation I said I was published.

I am.

YOU claimed the link between them, not I.

And I've refused to say what name I publish under.

Try to sort things out a bit and you might not be so easily caught lying.

He even claimed that he is
on a secret mailing list (listserv) with Dr. Straus! I am impressed! ;-)

Hell, I openly posted that I'd connect any here that wished to connect
with that list any time they asked.

So, Doan, as usual you lie.

And it's hardly secret or I wouldn't know about it.

Maybe he can tell Dr. Straus that using dummies in car crash studies
makes those studies correlational!

Nope. It makes it correlation as applied to humans, dimwit.

Until you put humans in the seats of autos and do the same to them, the
outcome is a correlation.

Dr. Straus could learn a thing or
two from him.

Mmmm...maybe, but more likely not. He's a more experienced researcher
with far more resources at his command than I. I work alone. He has a
bevy of under and grad students to fetch and carry.

What a STUPID idiot this Kane is!

Not so stupid as to claim crash dummy use in place of humans is a causal
model research paradigm.

So, if we used dummies, dummy, and spanking them with varying degrees of
intensity, frequency, interval, different objects, including our hands,
would that be a research method based on causal relationships?

It would be to the dummies, but applying the conclusions to live
children would be highly risky.

Don't you think, bright boy?

Now watch Doan run by changing the subject.

Always happens. He is of course the stupid idiot here.

Kane

Doan

Old January 19th 07, 06:49 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents,misc.kids
Doan

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, 0:- wrote:

Doan wrote:

Greegor wrote:
Doan wrote:
Comparing Child Outcomes of Physical Punishment and Alternative
Disciplinary Tactics: A Meta-Analysis
Robert E. Larzelere1,2 and Brett R. Kuhn1
Larzelere et all have long been identified as belonging to a right leaning
religious faction that is a propaganda arm for the spanking proponents.
Does the name Families First ring a bell for anyone?

HEY ****HEAD

Do you know what a META-ANALYSIS is? Huh dip****?

NO!!!!

Kane claimed he is a "published researcher".

Nope. You are lying. I've said I was a researcher. I am.

In another conversation I said I was published.

This is from our exchange yesterday, Kane:

Doan:
And you are a published researcher

Kane:
Yes.

Doan:
with shelves full of research studies
right, Kane? ;-)

Kane:
Yes.

When are you going to stop this STUPID LYING habit of yours, Kane? Like I
said, Kane I don't accuse other people of lying without proof! I have
proven you are a STUPID liar REPEATEDLY!

Doan

Old January 19th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

I don't know what a META analysis is, but I have
run across that META expression long long ago
in computer programming.

META usually implies simulated data or
sometimes it referes to half processed
(simily) data. Is that why this "meta analysis"
is basically pretty useless?

And WHO brought it up?

Was it Doan or Kane?