First week

Old July 16th 03, 03:03 PM
jake's mom

Default First week

I'm sorry to hear about your bf difficulties. Sounds like this time around
might be going a little better and it's probably good your a SAHM so you can
focus more time on it. It's definitely a lot of work being a SAHM--I'm sure
when I go back to work it will seem like a vacation while I'm there.(LOL)
We definitely want one more child(possibly two) and plan to start TTC at the
end of this year. I've always said I want them back to back-people think
I'm crazy! I got AF back at 6 weeks so we'll see if that will continue or
come back by the end of this year so we can TTC. I do not plan on quitting
bf just to TTC though. My goal right now is 6 months but I think I'll go
longer than that once that time hits! I have to set little goals like that
to look forward to(I had one for 6 weeks as well!). How difficult was it to
pump for your DD#1 when you went back to work? I'm concerned about supply
when that time comes--I tend to worry about things before I need to--LOL!
I'm not going back to work till October but I'm already worried about it!

Robin
"KC" wrote in message
om...
"jake's mom" wrote in message

.com...
can't wait until he sleeps for 5-6 hours at a time! Does Jessica tend

gravitate to you in the night? That is one aspect of co-sleeping I do

not
like because I'm scared I will accidentally hit or push Jake in my

sleep.
He kicks around a lot and moves his arms and wiggles his body too! He

is
sooo sweet to sleep right next to when he is not kicking, squirming,

etc.
Daytimes wear me out because of the klinginess!

Yes, Jessica does this too. She has always done this. I did worry
about it alot at first, but now I see that I just don't seem to move
at all at night when she is in bed with me. I just stay in the same
exact position all night.

What worried me more is that I would catch her with her face against
my body. I was worried that it would be hard for her to breathe like
that, but thankfully she has stopped that.

Is this your first child or do you have others? This is our first and

he is
definitely a handful--wouldn't trade him for the world though!

This is my second dd. With my first I had to go back to work at 9
weeks though and my dh was a SAHD. We had already given up on bf
because I have lists of problems that cause bf difficulty - lol (I did
pump for her till she was 5.5 months old), so I made my dh do the
night shift with my first dd. This time I am the SAHM, so this is the
first time I have really done the whole 9 yards mother experience. My
older dd is 3.5. She's a big girl now.

Do you want to have more children? We are still hoping for one more,
but I am 38 with history of IF, so not sure if we will still get one
more.

KC

Robin

Old July 16th 03, 07:31 PM
KC

"jake's mom" wrote in message .com...
I'm sorry to hear about your bf difficulties. Sounds like this time around
might be going a little better and it's probably good your a SAHM so you can
focus more time on it. It's definitely a lot of work being a SAHM--I'm sure
when I go back to work it will seem like a vacation while I'm there.(LOL)
We definitely want one more child(possibly two) and plan to start TTC at the
end of this year. I've always said I want them back to back-people think
I'm crazy!

That's funny because my family thinks I'm crazy to want to space them
out! My Mom said it's good to get the early hard years over with
quickly, but I like to savor the time together.

I got AF back at 6 weeks so we'll see if that will continue or
come back by the end of this year so we can TTC. I do not plan on quitting
bf just to TTC though.

I will just see what the future brings. At 38 I am very tempted to
try again quick as it may be the only way. I probably wouldn't
conceive while bf though because I had to take a med to lower my
prolactin to get pg, and I have to take a med to raise my prolactin to
bf, but you never know because I already got a period at 7.5 weeks.

My goal right now is 6 months but I think I'll go
longer than that once that time hits! I have to set little goals like that
to look forward to(I had one for 6 weeks as well!). How difficult was it to
pump for your DD#1 when you went back to work? I'm concerned about supply
when that time comes--I tend to worry about things before I need to--LOL!
I'm not going back to work till October but I'm already worried about it!

For me I had crappy supply from the start, so when I started pumping I
only pumped 3 oz in a whole day. Then with Reglan and frequent
pumping I think I got to about 13 oz in a day. I never made enough to
keep her off formula. Besides that I thought that pumping at work
wasn't bad. I just closed my door and pumped. I worked at a computer
job, so I could keep working while pumping with a hands free bra.

That pumped milk is liquid gold though. I remember it being so
frustrating when I had to throw any of it away.

KC

Robin
"KC" wrote in message
om...

Old July 19th 03, 04:36 AM
Leslie

Is is really that rare? I recall reading that 8% of women have some
medical probs with bf that cause low supply (like endocrine or surgery
on breast), but that only a very few had insufficient glandular
development. As someone who has had supply problems I always feel
touchy about this supposedly vanishingly rare difficulty rate. I know
many give up when there is nothing wrong, but sometimes there is stuff
wrong.

The figure I believe I have read is 2-5% (I'm sure someone else could pitch in
here!). Because IRL people are all too ready to say, "You just don't have
enough milk," our tendency in this ng is to point out how truly rare it is that
supply problems cannot be fixed. I think it's not fair to include BFAR in
those figures, since problems with supply in those cases are caused by a
surgical procedure. I don't know much about endocrine issues--I would surmise
that there are meds to help with that, right? That would leave insufficient
glandular development as the only congenital, non-correctable reason for low
supply that I know of--not that there may be others that the "experts" here
could tell us about!

Leslie
Old July 21st 03, 02:29 AM
Larry McMahan

Leslie writes:
:
:Is is really that rare? I recall reading that 8% of women have some
:medical probs with bf that cause low supply (like endocrine or surgery
:on breast), but that only a very few had insufficient glandular
:development. As someone who has had supply problems I always feel
:touchy about this supposedly vanishingly rare difficulty rate. I know
:many give up when there is nothing wrong, but sometimes there is stuff
:wrong.

: The figure I believe I have read is 2-5% (I'm sure someone else could pitch in
: here!).

Given what I have read, that is pretty accurate.

: Because IRL people are all too ready to say, "You just don't have
: enough milk," our tendency in this ng is to point out how truly rare it is that
: supply problems cannot be fixed.

I think I would state this slightly differently. Because of the experience we
have with mothers who have given up for reasons that had nothing to do with
their ability to breastfeed, we have a tendency in this ng to point out how
those problems can be overcome. :-)

: I think it's not fair to include BFAR in
: those figures, since problems with supply in those cases are caused by a
: surgical procedure.

I agree, and BFAA (augmentation) also. Any surgery can have untoward effects.

: I don't know much about endocrine issues--I would surmise
: that there are meds to help with that, right? That would leave insufficient
: glandular development as the only congenital, non-correctable reason for low
: supply that I know of--not that there may be others that the "experts" here
: could tell us about!

I am not sure I agree with the endocrine issues. I would suspect that there
are some that are not easily treatable.

: Leslie

The stat that really gets me, is that although only 2 - 5 % cannot breastfeed
because of insufficient milk, there are 20 - 40 % who use that excuse. That
means for each woman who actually can't, there are 7 giving up and claiming
that they can't.

Larry

Old July 21st 03, 02:59 AM
Molly Fisher

In article , Larry McMahan
wrote:

The stat that really gets me, is that although only 2 - 5 % cannot breastfeed
because of insufficient milk, there are 20 - 40 % who use that excuse. That
means for each woman who actually can't, there are 7 giving up and claiming
that they can't.

I wonder what percentage of us who actually don't have enough milk
continue to BF? I have insufficient glandular tissue. Athough I cannot
breastfeed *exclusively,* I am breastfeeding my DD. My milk isn't
enough, but she still gets every drop I have.

--
Molly
http://www.fisher-studio.com/
Old July 21st 03, 07:43 AM
KC

Molly Fisher wrote in message

I wonder what percentage of us who actually don't have enough milk
continue to BF? I have insufficient glandular tissue. Athough I cannot
breastfeed *exclusively,* I am breastfeeding my DD. My milk isn't
enough, but she still gets every drop I have.

Yes, more people should realize it's not all or nothing.

KC

Date for c-section and 36 week update Daye Pregnancy 16 December 20th 03 08:31 PM
Not looking like it's going to be this week..... Karen Pregnancy 6 September 9th 03 11:32 PM
UPDATE (Was: Cruise in the 34th week of pregnancy) Elly Pregnancy 1 August 22nd 03 09:05 PM
36 week update Shannon Pregnancy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 PM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM