15 month old's v. painful latch

Old May 30th 06, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 15 month old's v. painful latch

Is there any way of retraining a 15 month old's latch? My daughter's
has totally slipped to the point that my nipples are abraded and
bleeding! I never had such problems, even when she was a newborn.

She just cut one molar and the other is almost all the way through,
could that account for the bad latch? We only nurse before bed and in
the night but she loves it and I don't want to force her to wean. It's
going to be a long night tonight because there's no way I'm letting her
near these poor things, it is toe-curlingly painful.

Elle

Old May 31st 06, 01:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any way of retraining a 15 month old's latch?

Yes I think you just make her stop and relatch until she gets it right. The
only worry would be that she just give up and self wean.

She just cut one molar and the other is almost all the way through,
could that account for the bad latch?

To much time with a sippy cup ruined Luke's latch so I had to really limit
those.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 31st 06, 02:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote:

To much time with a sippy cup ruined Luke's latch so I had to really limit
those.

Yeah she drinks from sippys all day at daycare. Come to think about it
she just switched centres and they have different cups there. Maybe I
should bring her usual ones and and see if that helps.

Thanks
Elle

Old May 31st 06, 06:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I get this same problem with Lorelei (18 months) and I notice it seems
to happen when she has a cold. I know how painful it is and I can
sympathize. What I do is tell her to open very, very wide and nurse
gently and sometimes that helps. There was one night when I had to
refuse to nurse and listen to her scream. At least if you are only
nursing at night that gives you all day to get them healed. What are
you using for that?

Leslie

Old June 1st 06, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Leslie wrote:
I get this same problem with Lorelei (18 months) and I notice it seems
to happen when she has a cold. I know how painful it is and I can
sympathize. What I do is tell her to open very, very wide and nurse
gently and sometimes that helps. There was one night when I had to
refuse to nurse and listen to her scream. At least if you are only
nursing at night that gives you all day to get them healed. What are
you using for that?

Yeah I had to give in last night, she was just beside herself. It was
ok, luckily she was very tired so fell asleep after a couple of
minutes. They do feel better after a day's rest. I am using Lansinoh --
I resurrected my tube from when she was a newborn!

Elle

Old June 1st 06, 03:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Notchalk wrote:

This cup he uses, requires he bit it to open the hole to get
water out. It's going back into the cupboard for when there is a dire
emergency only!

Ouch whoever thought of a spout you have to bite was clearly not a
breastfeeder! Not a habit we want to encourage.

Elle