Similac - difference between powder and liquid?

Old October 4th 06, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Similac - difference between powder and liquid?

Switching to formula (recent).

1. Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron (powder, sample 8oz can)
2. Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron (liquid, sample 2 fl oz,
for institutional use, provided to me by the hospital)

#2 looks darker and smells better (to me).
My 8 month old likes #2 but hates #1.

Ross Pediatrics (or someone else who knows), what is the difference
between the two?

Old October 5th 06, 07:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

The ready, liquid formulas are usually darker (look like a light
capuccino or late) compared to the poweder ones (milky white). I had to
give my baby both breast milk and formula and my suggestion is: If your
baby is 8months old and teething, the best avenue to pursue is powder
formula with bioled milk. Liquid formula is basically similar to the
powder formula and is very convenient (though expensive) but lacks one
important element - flouride. It is recommended that you give your baby
fluoride from tap water or other supplments, preferrably starting
before 6 months, because the fluoride in the tap water is very
important for healthy teeth, preventing cavities etc.I gave my baby
liquid, bottled formula at first and switched to powder with boiled tap
water a little after 4months upon recommedation of my doctor and
insights I got from my own research. In many places, like northern
California, municipal water has good amount of flouride in it.

#2 looks darker and smells better (to me).

Old October 5th 06, 09:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

wrote and I snipped:
my suggestion is: If your
baby is 8months old and teething, the best avenue to pursue is powder
formula with boiled tap
water

However, there is no need to boil the water in most places. You can give
your baby tap water in a cup during meals beginning at 6 months, so why not
make formula with it? (I don't have any experience with formula.)

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 6th 06, 12:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

However, there is no need to boil the water in most places. You can give
your baby tap water in a cup during meals beginning at 6 months, so why
not make formula with it? (I don't have any experience with formula.)

Patty, drinking fresh water from the tap is a whole different ball game than
making formula with it, water from the tap has a very small number of
bacteria in it, which is fine just to drink, but when you mix it with
formula powder, it then provides a place for the bacteria to breed, which
quickly tips it over to not being fine, particularly as the powder itself is
not entirely free of bacteria. So formula needs to be made with boiled water
that has not been left to cool for too long. In an emergency it can be made
with bottled water, but there needs to be caution as this can provide too
much of some minerals, ready mixed is a better emergency back up.
Cheers

Anne

Old October 6th 06, 12:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
V.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

The rule of thumb I've read is that you *should* boil the water until the
baby is 6 months old, and that's only because while city water *should* be
safe, it can become contaminated without notice and a young baby may not be
able to fight off the bacteria. That is, city tap water for younger than 6
months should be fine most of the time, but when it's not, it's more
dangerous than for an older baby.
Once the baby is 6 months, you don't need to boil the water prior to making
formula, just use the cold water from the tap and heat up prior to mixing.
To be honest, I use warm water from the tap most of the time, but I'm pretty
confident I don't have lead pipes in my home or from the town supply.
HOWEVER, I do agree that using non-boiled tap water does increase the
bacteria risk over that of boiled water. I make up bottles on an as needed
basis (no batches) and discard all unused formula immediately. Since we
combination feed, I don't use a set amount of formula per day so I couldn't
predict how much we'd use. If I were going to make a batch of formula to
use throughout the day, I'd probably boil first, keep it refrigerated, and
use that day.

HTH,

Amy

Old October 9th 06, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip about the fluoride.
Tap water can also contain chlorine, chloramines (where the water board
doesn't use chlorine?), and possibly some nitrites/nitrates.
A couple of years ago, I recall seeing a sign posted above a water
fountain in a major corporation (in the mid-west) that pregnant women
and childern should not drink from that fountain.
(Nitrates from farms getting into their water supply?)

An aquarium water-test kit for fish indicates my water (California) is
extremely hard (it goes right off the scale).
A possible contributor to kidney stones down the road?

Something tells me fluoride is not the only difference between the
liquid and powdered Similac formula.
Abbott Labs would know.
Are they marketing 2 different formulas under the same name?