Lump in breast before feeding

Old May 21st 06, 09:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Lump in breast before feeding

Greetings all:

I have a seven week old son, and I've got him sleeping 5 - 7 hours a night
(this is a fairly recent development - yahoo!).

So, say I feed him at 9 p.m. on the left side. He gets up at 4 a.m., and
gets his breakfast on the right. By 7 or 8 a.m. when he's ready to eat
again, it's been at least ten hours since he's eaten on the left side, so
it's understandably very engorged. No worries, feed him and problem is
solved.

But for the last two mornings there's been a lump on that engorged breast,
about the size of a grape maybe. It's on the upper part of my breast, maybe
a couple inches above the nipple. Doesn't hurt, but looks funny. First time
it happened I feared a clogged duct or something, but fed my hungry son and
it went away. But this morning it was back again, same region. Again, feed
the baby and it's gone.

Should I be concerned about this? If it were a clogged duct, it wouldn't
drain the way it does right?

Thanks!

KD & G

Old May 21st 06, 09:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sounds like a duct is over full, this probably isn't really what happens,
but I think it must be possible for the wall to be weak, like an anuerysm in
a blood vessel, so instead of getting hard and then reabsorbing, like in the
rest of the breast, that one spot just expands like a balloon, at least that
is my theory, I use to have the same on the side of my right breast, right
near the nipple, so it made latching tricky, my DH said my boob looked like
mt st helen's before erupting!
Anne

Old May 30th 06, 04:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"KD" ) writes:
[...]

I would call that a plugged duct. Partially plugged, perhaps.

One thing that happens is that when some sacs are full of milk,
they press against the ducts for emptying other sacs. Then
those other sacs don't empty well.

Even though the lump goes away when feeding, I would use
the same treatments recommended for plugged ducts:

Constant heat, e.g. carry around a hot water bottle.
Don't leave that breast too long between feedings.
It helps to begin each feeding on that breast and
have a good feeding -- not interrupting it when the
milk is flowing well -- before switching to the other
breast. However, you have to avoid ignoring the
other breast or you could get one breast producing more
milk than the other or plugged ducts in the other breast.
Maybe you could nurse on the breast with the lump
right before and after the long sleep, but have two
feedings in a row on the other breast during the day
to try to balance things out. Not sure if that would
work well.

You can also gently massage the lump before or during
feeding, and/or apply heat before or during feeding
(or at other times).

You can check your baby's latch to make sure the mouth
is positioned well -- open wide, gums and lips as far
as possible from the nipple -- and vary the position.
It helps to use a position that puts one of the baby's
jaws in the direction of the lump, preferably the lower
jaw.

Check your clothing: the edge of a bra or bra strap
or other clothing can press on the breast and stop
milk from flowing in the ducts. Milk needs to be able
to move around in the breast even between feedings
and especially during. Even slight pressure from a
gentle strap can cause problems. Going without a bra
may help.