speaking of lumps in breasts...

Old May 22nd 06, 05:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default speaking of lumps in breasts...

I just recently resumed my monthly self-breast exam. I find that my boobs
just don't feel like they used to! (well, duh) But they feel so lumpy and
strange - how would I recognize anything "abnormal"? Does the lumpiness go
away after you stop bf'ing?

Betsy

Old May 24th 06, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Some of the lumpiness may even go away during breastfeeding depending
on how long you continue and what your hormones are doing. You would
want to do the self breast exam right after pumping and at the least
lumpy time of your cycle.

Speaking of lumpiness, one way I get another letdown when the milk has
stopped and seems gone is to walk my fingers along near the outside
edge of my breasts in firm, little (1cm) steps right on those lumpy
milk producing parts.

-- Betsy (not the one from Oregon)

Old May 28th 06, 11:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" ) writes:
I just recently resumed my monthly self-breast exam. I find that my boobs
just don't feel like they used to! (well, duh) But they feel so lumpy and
strange - how would I recognize anything "abnormal"? Does the lumpiness go
away after you stop bf'ing?

Betsy

Lumps in the breasts could be (minor) plugged ducts.
Ways to help them go away: massaging them, breastfeeding
with baby's mouth in a good position and getting the milk
really flowing well, breastfeeding often enough, using
heat. Breastfeeding in various positions, especially
with baby's lower jaw in the direction of where the lumps are.
I think increasing the essential fatty acids in
your diet may help -- the more liquid the fats and oils
in your diet, the more liquid the fats in the breastmilk
and the less likely to plug. For example, beef fat is
solid at room temperature, chicken fat is slightly more
liquid, but vegetahle oil and fish oil are more liquid still.
Massaging the lumps just before and/or during breastfeeding
is particularly helpful.

Constant heat, for example carrying around a hot water
bottle, helps with plugged ducts. You might not want to
go to this trouble if the lumps don't seem to be bothering
you -- although some time one of them might turn into a
more serious plugged duct.
Old May 31st 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Well, I'm pumping and bottle feeding, and pretty sure I don't have plugged
ducts. What I have is just a general over all lumpy feeling throughout my
breasts, which is not how it was before pregnancy...