Newby

Old November 25th 03, 05:56 AM
Tig

Default Newby

Hi there,

Im a newby ... just came from mkp.
In a couple of days I will be induced, and so therefore I am reading up as
much as I can on breastfeeding.
Now, I've read a lot, and done a lot of thinking as to what I want to do. I
am going to breastfeed, but I am also going to formula feed as well (after a
couple of weeks of breastfeeding thats when I will start that, but still
b.feed too).
Is there any recomendations on what kind of formula I should try? I was
thinking Nestle Good Start.

Thanks,
Sara

Old November 25th 03, 06:30 AM
Dawn Lawson

Tig wrote:

Hi there,

Im a newby ... just came from mkp.
In a couple of days I will be induced, and so therefore I am reading up as
much as I can on breastfeeding.
Now, I've read a lot, and done a lot of thinking as to what I want to do. I
am going to breastfeed, but I am also going to formula feed as well (after a
couple of weeks of breastfeeding thats when I will start that, but still
b.feed too).

Why on EARTH would you chose to do that?

Is there any recomendations on what kind of formula I should try? I was
thinking Nestle Good Start.

I really think you might want to post this to another group. This group
is pretty convinced that exclusive breast feeding for the first 6 months
at least is the best thing for babies.

Supplementing of necessity is one thing, but by choice seems very
strange to me.

Dawn

Old November 25th 03, 08:13 AM
Chotii

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Tig wrote:

Hi there,

Im a newby ... just came from mkp.
In a couple of days I will be induced, and so therefore I am reading up

as
much as I can on breastfeeding.
Now, I've read a lot, and done a lot of thinking as to what I want to

do. I
am going to breastfeed, but I am also going to formula feed as well

(after a
couple of weeks of breastfeeding thats when I will start that, but still
b.feed too).

Why on EARTH would you chose to do that?

Is there any recomendations on what kind of formula I should try? I was
thinking Nestle Good Start.

I really think you might want to post this to another group. This group
is pretty convinced that exclusive breast feeding for the first 6 months
at least is the best thing for babies.

Hey, we're only repeating what the AAP themselves say:

"Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support
optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after
birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk
feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual
introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first
year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that
breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as
mutually desired." (From: http://www.aap.org/policy/re9729.html)

Supplementing of necessity is one thing, but by choice seems very
strange to me.

Combi-feeding is certainly workable for many women, and necessary for some
women. But beginning it too soon ("after a couple of weeks") - before the
mother's milk supply is solidly established - is a recipe for gradual
decline and ultimate failure of the milk supply. I would not personally
introduce a bottle of formula before 6 weeks, with 8 being better (for the
milk supply). I know I was still having periods of engorgement (signalling
milk supply not yet stabilized) as late as 12 weeks.

*If* I wanted to feed a formula, I would probably choose Good Start because
of the way the proteins are broken down, and this despite Nestle's execrable
marketing practices in third world countries. But *if* I were going to
bottle feed, I would far rather invest in a pump of some variety, and try to
provide my own milk to my baby. After all, that's what it's there for.

--angela

Old November 25th 03, 12:52 PM
Sue

Hi Sara,

When I used formula I used Enfamil. For some reason, I really don't trust
the Good start formulas. I tend to stick with things that have been around
for a long time.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

.. .

Old November 25th 03, 03:15 PM
Leslie

Sara said:

Im a newby ... just came from mkp.

Welcome, and good luck with your upcoming delivery!

In a couple of days I will be induced, and so therefore I am reading up as
much as I can on breastfeeding.

Good for you! Education beforehand is really key to a successful bf
experience, IMO.

Now, I've read a lot, and done a lot of thinking as to what I want to do. I
am going to breastfeed, but I am also going to formula feed as well (after a
couple of weeks of breastfeeding thats when I will start that, but still
b.feed too).

If you've read a lot, I'm sure you already know that the AAP recommends
exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life. Since this is a bf
ng, you shouldn't be surprised that people are going to react unfavorably to a
decision to combifeed before you've given exclusive bf a good try! If you
have concerns about exclusive bf, maybe you could tell us about tham and we
might be able to help you resolve them. What many women do is set a goal for
themselves of exclusive bf for one month, then when that goes well, say for two
months, etc.

I'm just afraid that be planning on combi-feeding from the get-go, you are
setting yourself up for failure for two reasons. One, just for the physical
realities that bottlefeeding is easier for the baby, and he may reject the
"work" of sucking at the breast. But more important in my opinion is the
second factor, that of determination. Since you've already decided that you
are going to use formula and it is no big deal, you may be more ready to
succumb to formula use early on when you have some of the common ealry bf
difficulties. Speaking from experience, when there is no formula in the house
and you are absolutely oppsed to using it anyway, you have a powerful
motivation to work out whatever bf difficulties may arise.

One thing about combi-feeding that you may not know is that formula feeding
damages a baby's gut in such a way that it negates some of the advantages of bf
in the first place. Someone else can give you the cites for that.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to discourage you from posting here. There are
people here who have combifed and can share experience with you. And some
breastmilk is always better than none. I just wish you would keep an open mind
about exclusively nursing. You may find you change your mind once you get
started!

Is there any recomendations on what kind of formula I should try? I was
thinking Nestle Good Start.

If I had to formula feed, I would pick one of the new ones with the
brain-enhancing chemicals (is it DHA?) added. I would never use Nestle because
of their marketing practices which have led to the deaths of many babies in the
third world.

Leslie
Old November 25th 03, 04:34 PM
iphigenia

Leslie wrote:

If I had to formula feed, I would pick one of the new ones with the
brain-enhancing chemicals (is it DHA?) added. I would never use
Nestle because of their marketing practices which have led to the
deaths of many babies in the third world.

Ah, I would carefully avoid the DHA/ARA formulas, as I'd prefer my child not
to be a guinea pig. I find it rather telling that the FDA has asked formula
manufacturers to do postmarket surveillance of infants consuming DHA/ARA
formulas:

"These are new ingredients that were not used in infant formulas in this
country before early 2002, and infant formulas containing ARASCO (ARA Single
Cell Oil) and DHASCO (DHA Single Cell Oil) have been marketed in other
countries for only a few years. FDA views any evaluation of the safety of
use of new food ingredients such as DHASCO and ARASCO as a time-dependent
judgment that is based on general scientific knowledge as well as specific
data and information about the ingredient. Therefore, scientific data that
become available after specific products containing a new ingredient enter
the market must be considered as a part of the totality of information about
the ingredient. Pre-market clinical studies evaluating the effects of infant
formulas containing DHASCO and ARASCO on physical growth and some aspects of
development are short-term studies, while some studies suggest that feeding
of infant formulas with oils containing DHA and ARA to infants may have
long-term effects on growth and development. For all these reasons,
manufacturers have been asked to closely monitor these new infant formulas
in the marketplace."

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old November 25th 03, 05:58 PM
Leslie

I said:

If I had to formula feed, I would pick one of the new ones with the
brain-enhancing chemicals (is it DHA?) added. I would never use
Nestle because of their marketing practices which have led to the
deaths of many babies in the third world.

and Iphighenia replied:

[...]

Oh, my. I stand corrected. Luckily, it is not an issue for me.

Leslie
Old November 25th 03, 06:15 PM
Clisby

Tig wrote:
Hi there,

Im a newby ... just came from mkp.
In a couple of days I will be induced, and so therefore I am reading up as
much as I can on breastfeeding.
Now, I've read a lot, and done a lot of thinking as to what I want to do. I
am going to breastfeed, but I am also going to formula feed as well (after a
couple of weeks of breastfeeding thats when I will start that, but still
b.feed too).
Is there any recomendations on what kind of formula I should try? I was
thinking Nestle Good Start.

Thanks,
Sara

I had no problem with either Enfamil or Similac, but I have known people
who said their babies tolerated Good Start better (I think the proteins
are broken down more?)

However, I'm going to echo what some others said. I'm not sure why
you're planning to start formula so soon. Even if you wind up needing
to combi-feed, it would be better if you could breastfeed exclusively
for 3-4 months to get your milk supply more stable. Then, you could
probably pump breastmilk for some feedings and minmize (or eliminate)
the need for formula.

Clisby

Old November 25th 03, 09:35 PM
Tig

I know all the benefits and whatnot from formula, and I understand it. I
understand what some of you are trying to tell me.
But even my midwife suggested I formula feed too, as well as breast feeding.
My dh and I are living in poverty until June, and my body is not getting
what it needs for me or for baby as my midwife said. Im lucky this
pregnancy that so far I have been getting parental support for food while
pregnant but my parents can not afford to help us pay for groceries for now
on.
My midwife was concerned and spoke with a pediatrician about this. So
formula will also have some of the nutrients that my body doesnt have that
the baby wont get. Trust me, all I eat is rice, mac and cheese and sometimes
we have cereal.
So for the nutrients the baby wouldnt have enough of, from breastfeeding, Im
going to supplement sometimes. My midwife suggested me using Avent bottles
or the new playtex nursers since it doesnt encourage that lazy feeding
problem... so I put them on my registry when I had my shower.
Trust me, if we could afford for me to eat fruits/veggies/dairy I would
breastfeed. But right now living off $35 CDN (about $25 us)a month for
groceries is hard as heck for the two of us. Which is only until May/June.
We are here in Canada, so we dont get WIC (I use to live in Utah and heard
of the services there). But here where I live theres nothing but the
foodbank which doesnt even give you fruits/veggies/dairies or bread. They
just give you a small box of canned food , which half of it is expired. My
midwife told me not to go that route again.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

.. .

Old November 25th 03, 09:57 PM
Nina

Where are u getting the formula?
Hell, me personally, seeing what formula costs. If I got free formula,I'd
sell it and buy fruit etc and breastfeed.

"Tig" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

.. .