cosleeping and crawling

Old January 3rd 04, 12:49 AM
jake's mom

Default cosleeping and crawling

Hi all,

For all of you cosleepers--how do/did you all deal with your little one
crawling in the bed? DS is 7 months old and cosleeps part of the night with
me--then part of the night with DH. I go to work in the middle of the night
so DH has him alone in bed for half of the night. We are both worried about
him crawling off of the bed and hurting himself. . . he is very fast and his
teething keeps him awake a lot of nights. We do barricade him with pillows
but just don't feel like that is enough. What do/did you all do when you
got to this stage in babies development?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Robin

Old January 3rd 04, 12:58 AM
Nina

"jake's mom" wrote in message
r.com...
Hi all,

For all of you cosleepers--how do/did you all deal with your little one
crawling in the bed? DS is 7 months old and cosleeps part of the night

with
me--then part of the night with DH. I go to work in the middle of the

night
so DH has him alone in bed for half of the night. We are both worried

about
him crawling off of the bed and hurting himself. . . he is very fast and

his
teething keeps him awake a lot of nights. We do barricade him with

pillows
but just don't feel like that is enough. What do/did you all do when you
got to this stage in babies development?

Mine never did. Usually they were between both parents, but even sleeping
alone I never had a baby wander off the bed. Normally I slept in contact
with them thru the night, so if I didnt feel them, then I would make sure
they were still next to me and ok.

Old January 3rd 04, 01:04 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

jake's mom wrote:
his teething keeps him awake a lot
of nights.

We give a dose of Tylenol at bedtime for that. Caterpillar usually doesn't
wake unless I'm slow in getting food to her mouth.

We do barricade him with pillows but just don't feel like
that is enough.

Can he climb over pillows yet? Caterpillar doesn't have enough leg control
to get over a 2-pillow mound. At the moment, she sleeps in the middle, so
would have to go over one of us or off the foot end of the bed, and there's
always a blanket mound at the foot end. When I get up, I block my side with
2 pillows. If she sleeps on the outside, I put a pillow on the other side
of her, but she usually moves closer to me rather than farther away. When
she looks like a pillow won't do, we'll either move the bed against 2 walls,
or get a bedrail.

But our bed is a mattress on the floor, and a fall is only about 6-8 inches
(onto bare wood, but she'd take a harder fall trying to walk).

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old January 3rd 04, 01:43 AM
Cantrall family

Hi Robin,

We have a king bed on a box spring on the floor, and I have a bed rail on my
side of the bed, which is where the baby sleeps. When we're all in bed he
doesn't wake up without me waking up. When I'm not there, it would probably
take a little more to wake up my husband, but I don't think it would be much
more.

The baby's been sleeping in these days, till around 8am. He's about 9
months. Before we got the baby monitors all set up again, he would crawl
out of bed. (feet first, he learned) and start to belly crawl to the door.
Then we'd hear him from downstairs and come up to get him. It's a good
thing we have a door at the top of our stairs. Now that I've got the baby
monitor in place, I can hear him start to cry before he even moves much.

The other night when one of the toddlers was sick and was up at 3am, the
baby woke up and thought it was party time. I pretty much had to hold him
and wrestle him (he wasn't crying, just wanted to explore and crawl) until
he finally got tired. That actually took about 45 minutes.

Suellen, mom to
Gabby (almost 5)
Bobby (3)
Marcus (9 months)

Old January 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
jake's mom

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
jake's mom wrote:
his teething keeps him awake a lot
of nights.

We give a dose of Tylenol at bedtime for that. Caterpillar usually

doesn't
wake unless I'm slow in getting food to her mouth.

We do barricade him with pillows but just don't feel like
that is enough.

Can he climb over pillows yet? Caterpillar doesn't have enough leg

control
to get over a 2-pillow mound.

He can definitely climb over one pillow--my sister(daycare provider) learned
that the hard way. I have started using a 2-pillow mound for the past week
or so but I may have to invest in a bedrail. The only one I've seen is very
short in height (about 6 inches) and length(about 2-3 feet)--seems like he
could just climb right over top of it like a pillow. Do they make them
taller than that?

Thanks for responding,

Robin )

Old January 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
jake's mom

"Cantrall family" wrote in message
gy.com...
Hi Robin,

We have a king bed on a box spring on the floor, and I have a bed rail on

my
side of the bed, which is where the baby sleeps. When we're all in bed he
doesn't wake up without me waking up. When I'm not there, it would

probably
take a little more to wake up my husband,

That's what we're worried about--DH sleeps much sounder than me. I tend to
wake up with every move by DS but lately I am so exhausted I fall back
asleep before DS. He has been up so much lately--we think and hope because
of teething issues--that DH and I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night.
I try to nap when DS goes down for a late afternoon nap, when we are
fortunate enough for him to take one.

The baby's been sleeping in these days, till around 8am.

What I would give for DS to sleep to 8 am on the weekends!

He's about 9
months. Before we got the baby monitors all set up again, he would crawl
out of bed. (feet first, he learned) and start to belly crawl to the door.
Then we'd hear him from downstairs and come up to get him. It's a good
thing we have a door at the top of our stairs. Now that I've got the baby
monitor in place, I can hear him start to cry before he even moves much.

The other night when one of the toddlers was sick and was up at 3am, the
baby woke up and thought it was party time. I pretty much had to hold him
and wrestle him (he wasn't crying, just wanted to explore and crawl) until
he finally got tired. That actually took about 45 minutes.

I know that feeling!

Thanks for the input, Robin

Old January 3rd 04, 02:14 AM
jake's mom

Mine never did. Usually they were between both parents, but even sleeping
alone I never had a baby wander off the bed. Normally I slept in contact
with them thru the night, so if I didnt feel them, then I would make sure
they were still next to me and ok.

I hope mine doesn't either. Sometimes he crawls to the side in bed and
isn't touching me--if you move him he wakes up. I try to avoid doing
anything that might possibly wake him--he is a light sleeper at night.

Thanks, Robin

Old January 3rd 04, 02:57 AM
Ty

jake's mom wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

For all of you cosleepers--how do/did you all deal with your little one
crawling in the bed? DS is 7 months old and cosleeps part of the night

with
me--then part of the night with DH. I go to work in the middle of the

night
so DH has him alone in bed for half of the night. We are both worried

about
him crawling off of the bed and hurting himself. . . he is very fast and

his
teething keeps him awake a lot of nights. We do barricade him with pillows
but just don't feel like that is enough. What do/did you all do when you
got to this stage in babies development?

Any advice is appreciated!

I have the bed pushed against the wall and the mattress against the wall and
put Bethany on that side between me and the wall.
Marie

Old January 3rd 04, 07:14 AM
jjmoreta

"jake's mom" wrote in message
r.com...
Hi all,

For all of you cosleepers--how do/did you all deal with your little one
crawling in the bed? DS is 7 months old and cosleeps part of the night

with
me--then part of the night with DH. I go to work in the middle of the

night
so DH has him alone in bed for half of the night. We are both worried

about
him crawling off of the bed and hurting himself. . . he is very fast and

his
teething keeps him awake a lot of nights. We do barricade him with

pillows
but just don't feel like that is enough. What do/did you all do when you
got to this stage in babies development?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Robin

I haven't had to deal with this yet, but its something I was just thinking
about this week.

How about trying one of those bed rails - like you would put on a bed for a
toddler? I noticed just the other day that my OneStepAhead catalog had a
nice long one.

We sidecar his crib against the bed (we're large people with a love of
multiple pillows and thick blankets) so he would have to get over me to
escape. Now when he's old enough to climb out of the crib - that's when
we'll have to rethink arrangements.

- Joanne

Old January 3rd 04, 07:28 AM
KC

I sleep on a twin bed mattress with Jessi. She has never fallen out
of bed when I was in bed with her. Earlier she did fall out of bed
when she was in it alone, but has only once lately and that was when
her big sister was on another mattress on the floor next to her. I
think Jessi gravitates toward the body near her.

The mattress on the floor was the big thing for me. I don't care if
she falls because it is such a short fall.

KC