Baby bald spot??

Old September 20th 04, 05:15 PM
Jill

Default Baby bald spot??

I just noticed that R has a bald spot on the back of her head kind if right
behind her ears but in the middle of the back of her head. It looks like
from where she sleeps on her back and sides, and has "rubbed" her hair out
the way she lays on her head or something. Has anyone else had a baby that
this happened to-- is it pretty common? I am wondering if it will just
straighten itself out the more she is sitting upright. When you feel of it
it feels so strange, like it has been shaved and the hair is just starting
to grow back.

I don't know what else I can do about it at this point, since I put her down
to sleep on her back obviously. During the days she is spending lots more
time upright without her head laying back on something, but she still spends
a fair amount of time in naps. She only does bouncey seat 30 minutes a day
or less. She hasn't even been in her swing in days, she seems to be getting
bored with it. And when we carry her we don't support her head as much. So
that should help since she is now at that stage. I may not have even noticed
it if I didn't feel the difference first, and that caused me to take a look.
She's a fairly bald baby anyway. I just wonder if now when her hair grows
out some when she is older, if this "bald spot" will be noticeable then.

I notice something new and strange every day, lol.

--
---------
-Jill

Old September 20th 04, 05:18 PM
Angela Schepers

Mayo clinic pregnancy and baby book says it's normal. DS has one too, as
does most other babies I know of.

Angela &
Quinn 5/07/04

Old September 20th 04, 05:20 PM
Circe

Jill wrote:
I just noticed that R has a bald spot on the back of her head kind
if right behind her ears but in the middle of the back of her head.
It looks like from where she sleeps on her back and sides, and has
"rubbed" her hair out the way she lays on her head or something.
Has anyone else had a baby that this happened to-- is it pretty
common?

It's completely normal. Most babies lose all of the hair they were born with
(although some people will say that their babies never lost any hair!), but
you may or may not notice it depending on how dark the birth hair is and how
quickly new hair grows in. All my kids had the bald patch on the backs of
their heads. They just lost the birth hair there much more quickly than
anywhere else, so the new hair didn't grow in and replace it soon enough to
prevent its loss from being noticeable.

Don't worry about it!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Four More Wars!"

Old September 20th 04, 05:21 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Circe wrote:

It's completely normal. Most babies lose all of the hair they were born with
(although some people will say that their babies never lost any hair!),

I'd be one of those. My baby did have a bald spot on the back but it's
gone now (he's 5mos) mostly because he stopped sleeping on his back (he
has been a side sleeper for about 2mos now). He also still has as much
hair as he was born with, with some of it noticeably longer. I have no
doubt he's shed a bit, as we all do, but I do not think he's lost it all
yet.

Old September 20th 04, 05:25 PM
Sophie

Looks like Friar Tuck - totally normal.

Old September 20th 04, 05:29 PM
shixa

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:15:31 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

When you feel of it
it feels so strange, like it has been shaved and the hair is just starting
to grow back.

That's so funny that you're posting this I *just* today felt the back
of V's head and it feels like it was shaved and is growing back. But
his whole head is starting to look like white fuzz. When he was born
he had a quite a bit of not long but 'combable' hairs on the top of
his head and they were sort of golden now they look almost white and
really short. I never actually noticed any hair coming out but I
guess it just does gradually. Maybe we should start 'The Hair Club
for Babies' with funny little wigs & hats...:-o

Carla
Mom to Victor Paul born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old September 20th 04, 05:30 PM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
My baby did have a bald spot on the back but it's
gone now (he's 5mos) mostly because he stopped sleeping on his back (he
has been a side sleeper for about 2mos now). He also still has as much
hair as he was born with, with some of it noticeably longer. I have no
doubt he's shed a bit, as we all do, but I do not think he's lost it all
yet.

Rachel has an odd sleeping pattern. She had always rolled into her side,
since birth- I think because we nurse side-lying a lot. But she also sleeps
flat on her back, and through the night will turn her head to one side, then
10 minutes later the other...then she'll roll on 1 side, then other. I
thought she might be "wearing" her hair off, lol!

I think she must have lost a good bit of her newborn hair even though I
can't say I've noticed, because it is slowly turning lighter. I was born
with darker hair, like a medium brown, and by 1-2 had white blonde hair.Then
it got gradually darker over the years through high school. We kind of think
she is going to go that same route, but her hair is still in the brownish
range.

Glad to know the bald spot is normal- I didn't think anything was actually
wrong, but wondered if every baby gets this. It looks sort of funny- because
just under the bald spot, is the only place on her that her hair seems to be
gaining some length. My baby is getting a mullet! lol. Maybe her first hair
cut will just be to shorten the mullet.

Old September 20th 04, 08:13 PM
toypup

"Jill" wrote in message
news
I just noticed that R has a bald spot on the back of her head kind if right
behind her ears but in the middle of the back of her head. It looks like
from where she sleeps on her back and sides, and has "rubbed" her hair out
the way she lays on her head or something. Has anyone else had a baby that
this happened to-- is it pretty common?

Yeah. Both my kids went through it. I remember a segment on the news once
about daycares that neglected their kids and one of the things they pointed
out was one of the children there had a bald spot from being left in the
carseat all day. Before having kids, I used to think it was from moms
leaving their kids on their backs all day, not picking them up. After
having kids, I could see non-parents having those same thoughts about me.
Don't worry about it. It'll grow back when they start crawling/sitting up.

Old September 20th 04, 08:21 PM
newfy.1

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message
Mayo clinic pregnancy and baby book says it's normal. DS has one too, as
does most other babies I know of.

Seriously? The Mayo Clinic included the bald spot phenomenon in their book?
Lol.

JennP.