Advice for itchy/dry/red/irritated skin after swimming or sports

Old March 14th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
[email protected]

Default Advice for itchy/dry/red/irritated skin after swimming or sports

Time and time again I've heard that heaps of swimmers (and other
sports) suffer from dry / itchy / red / irritated skin after swimming
in chlorinated pools. I used to suffer from that problem for years,
and tried all sorts of things to relieve the itching. Well, I've
finally found some products that work better than anything else I have
ever tried. I swear by them.

- To relieve dry/red/itchy skin:
First and foremost, STOP USING SOAP. I cannot stress that point
enough. In Australia, I use a combination of these two products. I
don't use one or the other........I use both of these -

Pinetarsol (contains Pine Oil)
http://www.egopharm.com.au/products/...rsol/index.php

and

QV
http://www.egopharm.com.au/products/qv/index.php

I have never found a bodywash product(s) that relieves red/dry/itchy/
irritated skin like Pinetarsol and QV. I swear by this, from personal
experience. You use these with a flannel, instead of soap. These two
bodywashes are made specifically for these types of problems. There
are also a range of products you can use after you shower or bathe.
Ask your local pharmacist if they sell the same/similar products.

- To neutralise the chlorine on your hair and skin:
Add Sodium Thiosulfate Crystals to the shampoo and bodywash you use.
This *does* work. As an aside, I am trying to find out how much to
add, to a given volume of shampoo/bodywash. (i.e. concentration).
Alternatively, you can look for a shampoo that contains Sodium
Thiosulfate. I just think that adding Sodium Thiosulfate crystals to
your own shampoo is more effective, and more $cost effective$. This is
the active ingredient that actually neutralises the chlorine. This is
what I use.

- Protecting your hair before and after swimming:
If you're really really really (really) keen on protecting your hair
from the chlorine, before you hop in the water, you may choose to
thoroughly comb a waterproof sunscreen through your hair. This sounds
like a really bizarre thing to do, but sunscreen is waterproof, and
would shield your hair better than anything else I can think of. You
just need to wash your hair extra-thoroughly when you shower after
swimming - at least three times.
Instead of using a conditioner, use an ultra strong "treatment" for
dry hair. They are sort of similar to a conditioner, but much
stronger. After showering, use a leave-in treatment as well. This will
help with dry hair.

- Chafing:
Body Glide is what prevents chafing. This product actually helps
prevent the problem. The products above help relieve the problem once
you've already got it.
http://www.bodyglide.com/

I hope this has been of some help. Take it or leave it.

Old March 14th 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
Duncan Heenan

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Old March 14th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
Jeff

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Good question. That was my first thought. The host ISP is in Australia. The
guy has previously posted on various acitivties, like paint ball and had one
post that is clearly not spam on this.

I think this is a ligitamate post. Any other opinions?

Jeff

Old March 14th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 7:25 pm, "Duncan Heenan"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Offering advice to other swimmers. No more, no less.

Old March 14th 07, 01:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Jeff" wrote:

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Good question. That was my first thought. The host ISP is in Australia. The
guy has previously posted on various acitivties, like paint ball and had one
post that is clearly not spam on this.

I think this is a ligitamate post. Any other opinions?

? crossposted to
rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skinc are.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases

I don't think so. I've never heard of irritated skin after swimming
being a big problem and I used to coach a swim team.

Old March 14th 07, 04:23 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 8:08 am, Rosalie B. wrote:
"Jeff" wrote:

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in

wrote in message
groups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Good question. That was my first thought. The host ISP is in Australia. The
guy has previously posted on various acitivties, like paint ball and had one
post that is clearly not spam on this.

I think this is a ligitamate post. Any other opinions?

? crossposted to
rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skinc are.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases

I don't think so. I've never heard of irritated skin after swimming
being a big problem and I used to coach a swim team.

I'm not going to check out those websites because I don't like spam.
That said, irritated skin after swimming is a major problem in our
house because both my toddlers had eczema flareups after swimming.
That's the reason why they couldn't join/continue/enjoy swimming for a
very long time. They were the oldest in their water "babies" class.

Old March 14th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
Welches

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Good question. That was my first thought. The host ISP is in Australia.
The guy has previously posted on various acitivties, like paint ball and
had one post that is clearly not spam on this.

I think this is a ligitamate post. Any other opinions?

I don't think so because of the cross-posts. But I think probably giving the
benefit of the doubt in this case, Jeff, seeing as you've seen him before.
Debbie

Old March 14th 07, 05:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

" wrote:

On Mar 14, 8:08 am, Rosalie B. wrote:
"Jeff" wrote:

"Duncan Heenan" wrote in

wrote in message
[...]

I don't think that is the same thing. He didn't say eczema. I know
there are people who do have that problem.

He has also added SPORTS to the equation (would your children have
even been doing sports at that age?) and he's cross posted to an acne
newsgroup and acne is a whole different problem.

If it was a legit post, it isn't an effective one because
a) it was cross posted to a number of disparate groups (like
alt.fashion)
b) it looked like he was selling a product

If it was a real non-spam post, he could just have said what his
solution was without requiring us to go to a website.

grandma Rosalie
Old March 14th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming,misc.kids,alt.fashion,alt.skincare.acne,alt.support.skin-diseases
Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE SPAM WOULD IT?

Good question. That was my first thought. The host ISP is in Australia.
The guy has previously posted on various acitivties, like paint ball and
had one post that is clearly not spam on this.

I think this is a ligitamate post. Any other opinions?

I don't think so because of the cross-posts. But I think probably giving
the benefit of the doubt in this case, Jeff, seeing as you've seen him
before.
Debbie

I didn't see him before, but I found his posts in groups.google.com.

Also, the post is a little too well-written. That makes me suspicious, as
well.

So I don't really know.

Jeff