The Importance of Fathers-in-Families

Old January 30th 10, 12:27 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med,misc.kids
john[_5_]

Default The Importance of Fathers-in-Families

http://www.whale.to/a/hallett_b.html

The Importance of Fathers-in-Families

"The outcomes for children are greatest when they have two committed
parents. We know that the further we move from the ideal, the greater the
risks that emerge. If we start to look simply at homes where there is no
father, we see that some of the figures from around the world are quite
alarming . . .

"They are 5 times more likely to commit suicide as children; they are 20
times more likely to have behavioural disorders; they are 32 times more
likely to run away and so on. Daughters of single parents are 53% more
likely to marry as teenagers, 92% more likely to dissolve their own
marriages, and are 164% more likely to have premarital births.

"We are talking about a set of circumstances that are starting to set in
train a whole lot of consequences that are negative for the children and
negative for the community over time. Forty-one percent of Maori children
under 18 live with one or none of their biological parents. Around 60% of
our prison inmates are Maori.

"We might conclude that those are two quite separate statistics. We might
conclude that this is just a coincidence. I have to say that all of the
social science research says that that is absolute nonsense; that one is
very largely a consequence of the other, and that the factors that exist
around the fragmentation of those families, the lack of presence of
[usually] fathers in those families is very closely related to, and quite
predictive of, the outcome that we see for those children later in life.

"We can look at the research of David Fergusson,1 where he followed children
from birth to 18 years of age and we start to look at the risk factors at
the time of birth, that predicts negative outcomes for children. Again, the
fragmentation of family, particularly sole parenting at a very early age, is
very highly predictive of all sorts of clusters of negative consequences."

Bob Simcock 2

Professor David Fergusson is a research doctor at Canterbury University,
Christchurch, doing the world's longest ongoing longitudinal study on
adolescence and youth suicide. The Christchurch Health and Development Study
(CHDS) is a longitudinal study of 1265 children born in the Christchurch
urban region who have been studied from birth to age 18 and on. 2 National
MP, as read in Parliament, 10 May 2000.

Old January 30th 10, 08:36 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med,misc.kids
Peter B[_2_]

"john" wrote in message

http://www.whale.butt

spamming a web page, how quaint.

The Importance of Fathers-in-Families

"The outcomes for children are greatest when they have two committed
parents. We know that the further we move from the ideal, the greater
the risks that emerge. If we start to look simply at homes where there
is no father, we see that some of the figures from around the world
are quite alarming . . .

This states two parents, later states when a father is missing. So which
is it?