MUST SEE!! HBO and Autism: Perfect Together

Old April 3rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health
Ilena Rose

Default MUST SEE!! HBO and Autism: Perfect Together

Note from Health Lover, Ilena Rosenthal:
www.ilenarose.blogspot.com

Thanks to David Kirby and Huff Post for this posting ... and may we
all be protected from the Snake-oil Vigilantes who attack those of us
who speak out on vaccination dangers.
www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/snake-oil.htm

HBO and Autism: Perfect Together

Posted March 25, 2008 | 11:54 AM (EST)

A lot of adults (myself among them) are arguing very vocally right now
over the scope, cause, and impact of autism in America. Acrid debates
over mercury, vaccines, special diets, alternative therapies and
conceded court cases are flooding the media almost daily.

It's enough to give autism a bad name.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...t_b_93291.html

Then, along comes an honest little documentary like "Autism: The
Musical." This all-too-real movie lifts the heart up and then slams it
right back down on the pavement--and we love every minute of it.

This simply shot, beautifully conveyed portrait of life with autism
premieres tonight on HBO (and will stream for free for one week at
hbo.com). It serves to remind us all that, no matter what "causes
autism," no matter what, if anything might "cure" it, children
affected by the disorder deserve all of the honor, love and patience
that we, a nation consumed by our own attention deficits, can muster.

This moving and funny film opens with the jarring data that autism in
America has spiked from 1-in-10,000 kids in 1980 to 1-in-150 today.

But instead of dwelling on the cause of autism, the film focuses
mostly on five wonderful kids - two boys with very high functioning
autism who are brilliant, charming, and yes, "quirky;" a teenage girl
who sings (and looks) like an angel; a little boy who rarely speaks,
but who can express himself vividly through his cello; and one Russian
adopted boy who is completely nonverbal (until he gets a computer) and
who will break your heart when you see him.

Anyway, they put on a show, and it is riveting, joyous and tearful.
But the real message here is that kids with autism are human beings,
just like everyone else on God's green earth - with their own hopes
and fears, intellects and personalities.

They deserve more than our compassion, our love and our dollars. They
deserve our respect.

Meanwhile, "Autism: The Musical" unflinchingly shows just how
stressful the disorder can be on families. The weight on couples is
obvious: One marriage suffers through infidelity, another ends in
painful divorce.

Some people might complain that the potential causes and treatments of
autism are only touched upon here - though we do see clear evidence of
heart-wrenching autistic "regression," and there is some talk about
vaccines, environmental toxins and "damaged kids."

Others might worry that the portraits of the two high functioning boys
- so bright and charismatic you want to hang out with them for hours
(though their peers shun them into a lonely world of their own) - will
leave the mistaken impression that most children with autism are like
this. If they were, then the epidemic might be slightly less painful
to bear.

Sadly, however, most kids with autism are more than just a little
"quirky." And as much as we truly adore all the children in this film,
few, if any parents of "typical" kids could honestly say, "I wish my
child were like that."

"Autism: The Musical," then, gives us the whole unvarnished "spectrum"
of autism spectrum disorder. Little Neal, the adopted boy who can
neither speak nor hold a gaze, tells us what we should know: These
extraordinary children (and many adults with autism, too) need and
deserve our attention, and help.

Here, I hope, is a movie that everyone can watch and appreciate. From
those of us who think that many autism cases were triggered by
environmental toxins; to the "neuro-diversity" people, some of whom
think that autism is a natural, inborn variation of human brain
wiring, and should be celebrated, not treated; to the CDC, who wishes
we would ALL just go away.

Please watch this film: You will be treated to an achingly accurate
portrait of what autism is, isn't, and can be.

David Kirby is author of "Evidence of Harm, Mercury in Vaccines and
The Autism Epidemic - A Medical Controversy"