Fight with a friend

Old December 8th 03, 05:03 PM
Em

Default Fight with a friend

"KC" wrote in message

It's really really old (like me :-) I am 38, and I recall in my late
teens/early 20s that most people then thought it was important to
breastfeed for the first 6 weeks. I know back then I figured I would
do that, but I didn't end up having my first dd until I was 34.

For one thing, I think back then there weren't good pumps on the
market and alot of women were working. The economy was pretty bad
then. Interest rates were really high, and housing prices were really
high where I lived, so all the young women had to work and most had to
who had babies back then went back to work at 6 weeks pp, so perhaps
that is where the magic 6 weeks number came from.

Ah ha! I spaced out the fact that many women go back to work at 6 week pp.
That makes some sense.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

Old December 8th 03, 05:13 PM
Em

"JoFromOz" wrote in message
Em wrote:
"A&G&K" wrote in message
the "no nutritional value past 6 weeks" thing. That is something
I've heard several times from people IRL. Where does that *come*
from? --

I think it comes from the 6 week growth spurt ... babies suddenly feed

much
more often, and so all of a sudden the milk is 'too weak' to sustain them,
and well meaning family members tell them they are starving their baby
because the milk isn't good anymore.

Right! Somehow it becomes not enough to sustain them and formula steps in.
That makes sense too (in terms of where people get the 6 weeks idea from). I
guess there are a variety of reasons why someone might develop the idea that
the first 6 weeks are what matters. Also, as someone else mentioned, someone
being pleaded to least try bf'ing for the first 6 weeks, might end up
interpreting the message as bf'ing is only important for that long. In my
observation, 6 weeks is often the marker when some people decide that the
baby is too hungry and start packing in the rice cereal (which also seems to
fit with not knowing how to cope with a growth spurt--baby suddenly starts
waking more often to feed through the growth spurt. Not only do they "need"
formula, they need some hearty helpings of rice cereal mixed in the bottle
as well!).

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 11 weeks

Old December 8th 03, 05:38 PM

KC wrote:
It's really really old (like me :-) I am 38, and I recall in my late
teens/early 20s that most people then thought it was important to
breastfeed for the first 6 weeks. I know back then I figured I would
do that, but I didn't end up having my first dd until I was 34.

For one thing, I think back then there weren't good pumps on the
market and alot of women were working. The economy was pretty bad
then. Interest rates were really high, and housing prices were really
high where I lived, so all the young women had to work and most had to
who had babies back then went back to work at 6 weeks pp, so perhaps
that is where the magic 6 weeks number came from.

A friend of mine from work who has children my age (born in 76) told me
that when her kids were born everyone went back to work at 6 weeks. She
didn't have any choice and pumping was not an option. She decided not to
nurse during those 6 weeks because no one really explained to her the
health benefits (just financial benefits) and several of her friends who
did choose to nurse during that time got breast infections when they
returned to work because they stopped nursing abruptly. She regrets it
now, but she did the best she could in her situation based on the
information she had.

Manda
Old December 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Chookie

In article ble.rogers.com,
"AlenasMom" wrote:

She emailed me today and asked if I was planning to breastfeed her while
she was in college.

She did WHAAAT??

I call that way outta line. Respond to her with grace and dignity, as befits
a real woman; that way all the future mothers nearby will benefit. However,
you may find the need to use phrases such as:

"That's a bit personal"

"[Bride] doesn't have a problem with it, and it's her wedding"

"Mind your own business"

"Can we talk about something else?"

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old December 11th 03, 11:34 PM
Cathy Weeks

"AlenasMom" wrote in message e.rogers.com...
Yesterday I was at the dress fitting for my friend's wedding. One of her
bride's maids is really uptight and "socially correct" about everything.
All the dresses are being custom made, and when we were talking about how
my bodice will lace up the front, she asked why. I told her it was because
I'll have to have access to nurse Alena.

This is sort of off topic from your post - (and I've been lucky not to
encounter anyone as stupid or rude as her) but I thought I'd give you
some advice about being a bridesmaid with a nurseling.

My daughter was six months old when I was in a friend's wedding.
Everone was supportive, and great. My dress was NOT nursing friendly,
unfortunately.

Anyway, if you have a breastpump, and your daughter takes a bottle or
sippy, bring along some EBM. You never know when it will come in
handy. My husband had her during the ceremony (I just couldn't nurse
her *then*!!) and fed her 4 ounces of EBM during the ceremony and that
kept her happy until I could nurse her.

I had to go into the dressing room to nurse her, and then take my
dress down to my waist to nurse (it zipped down the back). Then,
after she nursed, she spit up all down the front of my dress, forcing
me to change after all. SO, when you are nursing, drape yourself with
a towel, to prevent this from happening. My daughter wasn't typically
a spitter, but it did happen occasionally.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01