Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

Old March 4th 04, 03:50 AM
Kereru

Default Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

"Dagny" wrote in message
link.net...

A woman becomes preeminent, she is expected to have enthusiasms.
"Kereru" wrote in message

"Dagny" wrote in message
link.net...

"Nikki" wrote in message
Dagny wrote:

Bad backs are a reason to use strollers, and cold weather and not
disturbing a nap are reasons to leave the child in the carseat

and/or
snap the child in a travel system.

I'm not being defensive as I was one of those mothers that held

mine.
didn't even own an infant seat for Hunter and didn't have one for

Luke
until
he was 3 months old. My stroller never left my property. I just

carried
them around in my arms, didn't even have a sling.

Still I really don't understand what the problem is with sitting a

content
and happy baby down in a seat of some kind while mom does her

shopping.
Why
is *just because it is easier* not an acceptable reason if everyone

is
happy and content.

I never said anything about wanting people to work for no reason.

There's
fine line between "happy and content" and "brain dead, unstimulated,

has
learned that he can't look to mom for input about the world because

mom
is
forever out of view behind a stroller, big flat spot on the back of

her
head."

A fine line! You have a very bleak view of the world, I feel sorry for

you.

I'm bitter right now about some other things and it spills into all areas

of
my life, but yes I do have a very bleak view of many artificial methods of
Western parenting. But you know, thanks for the extra condescension

Well considering the ridiculous sweeping statement you made you are lucky
condescension is all you got.

It's a fine line because it gets to the point in my opinion where the

CHILD
doesn't know the difference between good and bad contentedness, between
happy engaged and happy zoned out, how would the parent? How would the
parent even know what their child was capable of?

-- Dagny

I just don't think it works that way. Sure you leave kids alone in a
Romanian orphanage they don't develop normally. Having kids in a carseat or
stroller, swing or bouncy chair isn't going to turn them into zombies, it's
a totally different thing. What is important is talking, singing cuddling
and playing with kids not how you get them from A to B. I hardly carry my
boys at all they are large and both seem to prefer being slightly away from
me where they can see me.

I think you have a pretty naive view of what life is like in these
"non-western" countries that you talk about. I imagine most people co-sleep
and baby-wear out of necessity not because they think it promotes optimal
child development. They do what works under the circumstances as we all do.

I don't want to get into an AP debate here. I have no problem with it. If it
works for you it works for you. But don't jump on those of us who do it
differently. I have two happy, affectionate, intellegent totally non-AP
raised kids and take offense to your comments.

So I will finish with the old cliche "live and let live", you're not the
only good parent in the "western" world.

Judy

Old March 4th 04, 07:24 PM
PattyMomVA

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message
... and I snipped:

I know from carrying friends' babies that my ability is limited - I
cannot carry any distance. That said I never tried out my sling or
carrier since they are in storage with the rest of the baby gear. So
who knows. I may find out later this year.

Wow, I just had to reply when I saw this. That would be so great! (finding
out how you do when carrying your baby, that is)

-Patty, mom to Corinne (almost 6y!) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)

Old March 7th 04, 09:28 PM
Anne Rogers

Default SPD at 6m pp+ (was Bleak over a baby (semi-OT))

hi there, I missed this thread, I just wanted to send you both some
((hugs)) and sympathy, I also had SPD during pregnancy, but thankfully for
me it went away shortly after the birth.

I think you are both amazing and are doing a great job.

Old March 29th 04, 03:43 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:
Nope, this absolutely depresses me too. Strollers for little babies and
baby buckets (car seats carried into stores) depress me. I don't know why
the mom doesn't like her kid enough to put her in a sling/carrier. I hope
they all have bad backs.

I cannot understand that, I do it very very occassionally when ds has
fallen asleep in the car seat and I haven't got the wheels with me, I only
do it because picking him up and transferring him to a sling has about a
99% chance of waking him and then he'll be grumpy if he is still tired.

2nd that. Margaret gets hours of sling time daily, but if she falls asleep
in the carseat, we just unlatch it and it becomes a bucket o' baby.

-Liz
Old March 29th 04, 06:25 PM
toypup

"Liz S. Reynolds" wrote in message
In article

,
Anne Rogers wrote:
Nope, this absolutely depresses me too. Strollers for little babies

and
baby buckets (car seats carried into stores) depress me. I don't know

why
the mom doesn't like her kid enough to put her in a sling/carrier. I

hope
they all have bad backs.

I cannot understand that, I do it very very occassionally when ds has
fallen asleep in the car seat and I haven't got the wheels with me, I

only
do it because picking him up and transferring him to a sling has about a
99% chance of waking him and then he'll be grumpy if he is still tired.

2nd that. Margaret gets hours of sling time daily, but if she falls asleep
in the carseat, we just unlatch it and it becomes a bucket o' baby.

When said kid doesn't like the sling/ carrier or it's 100 degrees outside,
the sling/carrier would be considered torture. I have owned 5 different
carriers that DS and DD do not care for. They cry the moment they are
inside one of those things. I finally have the UBW that DD likes, but it
will soon be 100 degrees outside and I will spare her the pain. I think any
device has the potential for abuse, including slings/carriers. Babies can
get too much time in those, too.

signed,
Mom who loves her kids enough not to torture them in the name of AP (which
wouldn't be true AP, IMO)