Opinions please, re NIP (long)

Old June 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Opinions please, re NIP (long)

Do other kids eat cookies and milk in the pool?

Get your ass out of the water you rude, selfish cow.

Old June 14th 06, 12:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I wouldn't be psyched to have anyone eating *in* the pool, whether nursing
or just drinking coffee...
Caledonia

I guess we're all different. I wouldn't care if somone were drinking in the
pool. I mean, if it spills, no big deal, that's what the chlorine is for,
no?

Old June 14th 06, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"MareCat" wrote in message

I think I'd do this, too. Knowing that I was well within my rights to do
so, I would just ignore that director and feed my child right at the pool
if he was hungry. Not only would I be ready with what to say if anyone
approached me again, but I would also have printed copies of the law to
hand out.

Mary

I have thought about this, but here's where I am nervous. Isn't the YMCA
considered private property, and aren't they allowd to make rules at whim?
I mean, if I don't like their rules, they can just escort me out for not
following them can't they? I guess that's what I am fuzzy on. If AZ
protects nursing mothers against indecent exposure laws, does that mean I
can nurse as discreetly or not, as I desire? And whereever I want? I
coudn't find anything specific in that bill that said anything about
public/private property. Did anyone else?

Thanks all!

CY

Old June 14th 06, 04:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

they are discriminating against your right to bf. In Australia, this
would
fall foul of our anti-discrimination laws (I always think "If I were
bottle-feeding, would they still ask me to move?").

proberly they would actually in this very specific situation, I wouldn't

be
that happy with someone bottle feeding on the steps of the pool, my
experiences with bottle feeding haven't been the neatest of things, so I
wouldn't want it dripping in the pool.

Yes I agree about not eating or drinking in a pool.
I was referring to a general "would they ask me to shift" thing I think
through in such situations. I bet he wouldn't have asked a bottle-feeding
mother to go and "be more discreet" and "cover up with a towel". I'd
personally settle for being asked to not feed *in* the pool.

However, since the "food" is already "on board" the in the case of bf
mothers (and it is known to come in ... ummm ... "leaky" containers
sometimes) so IMO it doesn't really matter that the OP was bf *in* the pool.

My 2c
Amanda

Old June 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I think this time I wouldn't feedback, I'd just be armed ready for next
time, I think they are likely to be prepared to overlook it for a few
people, but if you started writing and making things official they might
actually start specifically banning it because of the eating side of

things.

But in the specific case of breastmilk, one could argue that the milk would
be taken into the pool with the Mum anyway. So unless the YMCA wanted to
start banning bf mothers from getting into the pool, I don't know that they
could ban too much.

I was under the impression that the blokes problem was in the OP not being
"discreet" and it being a "family place" and I do think the bloke needs to
know that asking a bf mother to move on "discreetness" reasons is not OK.
Again, my 2c
Amanda

Old June 14th 06, 05:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"CY" wrote in message

"MareCat" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know about the US, but here (Oz) pretty much anywhere that is not a
private home can't override our anti-discrimination laws.
Amanda

Old June 14th 06, 06:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:
I was at our local YMCA today and in the pool when my 1 yr old son became
hungry. My daughter was having a swimming lesson at the time and I didn't
want to leave the pool to nurse him, because she was having a stressful
lesson today.

I sat on the steps into the pool, pulled up my nursing bathing suit (not
easy to find, let me tell you!), exposed less flesh than some of the ladies
there were showing with their bikinis, latched him on and he nursed for
about 5 minutes max. During the actual nursing session no flesh could be
seen. He pulled off briefly, exposing my nipple for about 5 seconds. I
thought nothing of it, carried on a conversation with another mom and after
the lesson was over, played in the pool with both kids.

While I was minding my own business, one of the directors approached me and
asked me very "nicely" if next time I had to nurse if I could be more
discreet, not do it in the pool and go to the deck where I could cover up
with a towel and nobody would see what I was doing. He went on to explain
that they've been through this with all the "Y"s (I don't know what he meant
by "this", but whatever) and this was a family place and he wanted to ask
this before he received any complaints from anyone. WTF? At the time, so
bowled over was I by this request, I just nodded dumbly and said "OK", and
that I didn't know what the laws were in this part of the state, I just
assumed it was like all the other places which protects bf'ing mothers. At
that point he back-tracked and said "Oh, no we don't mind you doing it, but
just be more discreet". It has been bothering me all day and I feel like I
should respond but don't know if I am totally over-reacting. He made me
feel like I was doing something illegal or obscene, when all I was doing was
feeding my baby.

Anyway, here is the new bill that passed recently for our state (lot of
legal jargon)

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext...ls/hb2376p.pdf

And a link to Amy Miliron's website (who is responsible for getting this
bill
passed)http://www.healthyfoodhealthychildre...ion/index.html

Do you think I should write to him and include this bill? Or write over his
head? Or not write at all?

I consider myself a lactivist but I am not confident enough or outspoken
enough to deal with it at the time!

Opinions please?

Thank you!

The YMCA I attend used to have a sign up saying that although
breastfeeding is a wonderful way to bond with your baby that you need
to do it in the provacy of the locker room. So I think this is some
kind of nationwide hangup the Y has!

I would personally be furious. I would write to him and/or his
superior saying that you were so taken aback that you couldn't think
what to say, and here is what you wish you'd said. The law of the land
is that you have a right to bf your baby anywhere that you have the
right to be.

Leslie

Old June 14th 06, 07:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

CY wrote:

[snip]
with a towel and nobody would see what I was doing. He went on to explain
that they've been through this with all the "Y"s (I don't know what he meant
by "this", but whatever) and this was a family place and he wanted to ask
this before he received any complaints from anyone.

[snip]

I would get from this that it sounds like a decision that was passed
down from the hierarchy of the YMCA, probably due to incidents at other
locations.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext...ls/hb2376p.pdf

And a link to Amy Miliron's website (who is responsible for getting this
bill
passed)http://www.healthyfoodhealthychildre...ion/index.html

What does "places of accommodation" mean? Like, hotels?

Do you think I should write to him and include this bill? Or write over his
head? Or not write at all?

I think you should definitely write to the management of your local
branch, AND the central YMCA offices. For your local branch, maybe you
can bring a copy of one of the press releases on Ms. Miliron's website,
and ask him to post it. Don't make it a confrontation thing with him,
but sell it like, "here, I thought this might help forestall any
problems we might have - if someone complains, you can just point to this!"

(I loved the "supply" and "demand" set of T-shirts one mom 'n baby were
wearing on the photos page!)

I consider myself a lactivist but I am not confident enough or outspoken
enough to deal with it at the time!

I'm the same way - I'm full of ideas a day later, but when I'm ambushed,
I got nothin'.
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 3.5 months

Check out my new breastfeeding T-shirts on CafePress!
http://www.cafepress.com/dancingbones
Old June 14th 06, 11:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I wouldn't be psyched to have anyone eating *in* the pool, whether
nursing
or just drinking coffee...
Caledonia

I guess we're all different. I wouldn't care if somone were drinking in
the pool. I mean, if it spills, no big deal, that's what the chlorine is
for, no?

probably, it's just not something that is done in the UK, even having a
bottle of water on the side of the pool if you are training is a rare thing
to see here.

Anne

Old June 14th 06, 11:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

But in the specific case of breastmilk, one could argue that the milk
would
be taken into the pool with the Mum anyway. So unless the YMCA wanted to
start banning bf mothers from getting into the pool, I don't know that
they
could ban too much.

I would tend to agree, though I know myself that I almost never leak,
whereas until DD was about 9 months old, a feed could result in a shower of
milk over anything, or anyone!

I was under the impression that the blokes problem was in the OP not being
"discreet" and it being a "family place" and I do think the bloke needs to
know that asking a bf mother to move on "discreetness" reasons is not OK.
Again, my 2c

absolutely, I'm definitely with that not being on,

Anne