Boys getting left behind in school? Well, DUH!!!

Old November 28th 03, 03:50 PM
Dusty

Default Boys getting left behind in school? Well, DUH!!!

When are these idiots going to learn that when you stack everything in favor
of one group, another looses? W.T.F. where these fools thinking...
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ls11262003.htm

Balancing the scales: Is teaching boys and girls different now than in the
past?

By Sasha Brown / Tribune Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 26, 2003

WALTHAM -- Northeast Elementary School teacher Pat Davis has started to
notice a trend with some of the boys in her second-grade class.

"The girls are the ones who really want to show off their knowledge," said
Davis who has been a teacher for 33 years.

"About 20 years ago, the research suggested that girls were being left
behind," said Davis. "We were trying so hard to pull the girls along. Now we
need to make sure the boys also think it is cool to be smart."

Davis said the children in her class work to earn quiet activity time. "The
girls play school while the boys build," she said, illustrating a trend that
has some educators and scholars wondering if after years of focusing their
energy on helping girls to participate more in class, assert themselves
academically and achieve in math and science, whether it is possible that
the boys could now use a boost.

While girls have grown academically by leaps and bounds, boys may be getting
left behind, some possibly viewing school as "a girl thing."

To be sure, there are still gaps in girls' education. "Girls remain at a
disadvantage with SAT scores," said Marsha Mirkin, Ph.D., a scholar at the
women's studies research center at Brandeis University.

"We want girls more interested in history and economics and boys more
interested in literature and fiction," said Mirkin who directs her studies
toward improvements in education for both sexes, including equal
representation of both the male and the female "movers and shakers" in
historical as well as literature that represents both sexes.

"The schools are a microcosm and mirror the gender politics of the society,"
Mirkin said.

In Waltham, the problems are similar. "Girls have always been stronger in
the humanities and arts, while boys have been stronger in science and math,"
said Dr. Alexander Wyeth, assistant superintendent for curriculum and
instruction. "That is something we are working on."

On a curriculum level, this means a number of things, including adding more
non-fiction to the summer reading lists, said Thomas O'Toole, director of
the English department at Waltham.

"I am doing it because it is part of the frameworks," said O'Toole, "but we
may find that it benefits the boys as they might find it more interesting
than some of the relationship-based fiction."

Although both Wyeth and O'Toole thought the question was interesting,
neither thought it was a pressing concern in Waltham right now.

"It's worth thinking about," said Wyeth. "But for us, it has not jumped off
the page."

In her classroom, Whittemore fifth-grade teacher Bonnie Osborn tries to
fight gender issues by trying to "create a safe environment where the
children can take risks."

Osborn assigns each student jobs on a rotating basis. "I have seen us become
more aware," said Osborn. "I have definitely had a couple of boys who
thought it was not cool to be smart."

But for Osborn, continuing an open forum of communication and maintaining an
environment where it is "safe to be smart" has helped some of those issues.

She also said that the two required reading books for the fifth-grade have a
boy narrator in one and a girl in the other.

"The goal is to get both the boys and the girls to like reading," she said.

Back at Northeast, Davis said she does a lot of tailoring the curriculum to
fit each child's needs. She has even gone to the Registry of Motor Vehicles
to procure a truck driving manual for a child who insisted that as a future
truck driver he did not need to know how to read.

When he saw he needed to read the manual, but could not, Davis used the
manual as a tool. "He got to a point where he could read large parts of it,"
she said.

But this individualized instruction is not always an easy task. "We try to
be all things to all kids, but we can't do it all the time," she said. "But
the first step is recognizing the problem. Once something is brought to your
consciousness, you can do something about it."

--
Eliminate the impossible and whatever
remains, no matter how improbable, must

---- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ---

Old November 29th 03, 09:03 AM
Melvin Gamble

The only surprising thing about all the overthinking that has gone into
trying to make boys and girls equal is that there are still some of each
who believe there is a difference between them...

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

WALTHAM -- Northeast Elementary School teacher Pat Davis has started to
notice a trend with some of the boys in her second-grade class.

"The girls are the ones who really want to show off their knowledge," said
Davis who has been a teacher for 33 years.

No wonder - the boys have been taught that showing off will cause
somebody to try to stuff drugs down your throat to stop it...

"About 20 years ago, the research suggested that girls were being left
behind," said Davis. "We were trying so hard to pull the girls along. Now we
need to make sure the boys also think it is cool to be smart."

Maybe if they'd just STOP trying to make them think it is UNCOOL to BE A
BOY, the boys would be alright... She's teaching a SECOND GRADE class,
damn it...boys that age are NOT SUPPOSED to be thinking it's "cool" to
be smart. She just wants the boys to be more like the girls...

Davis said the children in her class work to earn quiet activity time. "The

And she thinks THAT should be an incentive for the boys?????? How many
second grade boys want "quiet activity time"???? None of the second
grade boys wanted such a thing when *I* was going to school...guess she
and her cronies just haven't managed to feminize those 7-year-olds
enough yet....

girls play school while the boys build," she said, illustrating a trend that
has some educators and scholars wondering if after years of focusing their
energy on helping girls to participate more in class, assert themselves
academically and achieve in math and science, whether it is possible that
the boys could now use a boost.

Maybe she should just go out and talk to some old guys like me who could
tell her that boys have ALWAYS wanted to build and that she shouldn't
get her knickers in a knot over it. What she SHOULD be worried about is
the 7-year-old girls wanting to play SCHOOL - they should be playing
with dolls and jacks and jumpropes like they used to, back in the days
when they didn't grow up to date each other as teenagers...girls and
girls that is. Hell, even Hallmark with it's great tradition of
tradition has decided it's wrong for "Susie" to want a dolly in "Jolly
Old Saint Nicholas"...

While girls have grown academically by leaps and bounds,

and fallen way behind in learning how to be real girls...

boys may be getting
left behind, some possibly viewing school as "a girl thing."

To be sure, there are still gaps in girls' education. "Girls remain at a
disadvantage with SAT scores," said Marsha Mirkin, Ph.D., a scholar at the
women's studies research center at Brandeis University.

"We want girls more interested in history and economics and boys more
interested in literature and fiction," said Mirkin who directs her studies

"Women's studies research center"???? Why doesn't she just leave the
kids alone and stick to "directing" her own studies...and maybe remember
that before all this "directing" in education, the USA was in the lead
in producing students that were responsible for most of the major
academic achievements in the world in things like medicine and physics
and such... Now that her group has been trying this "directing" crap,
other countries have taken that lead...and we sit in the back of the
class wondering what we're doing wrong and whether a new tatoo or
piercing might make us more popular...

toward improvements in education for both sexes, including equal
representation of both the male and the female "movers and shakers" in
historical as well as literature that represents both sexes.

Yeah, let's have history books that focus on all the women in General
Washington's army rowing across the Potomac. Or all the female generals
leading the Mongol hordes as they conquered Europe...

"The schools are a microcosm and mirror the gender politics of the society,"
Mirkin said.

Only if we're stupid enough to re-make them in that self-defeating
image.

In Waltham, the problems are similar. "Girls have always been stronger in
the humanities and arts, while boys have been stronger in science and math,"

So as a society, we are strong in both...

said Dr. Alexander Wyeth, assistant superintendent for curriculum and
instruction. "That is something we are working on."

So that as a society we will FAIL IN BOTH...

On a curriculum level, this means a number of things, including adding more
non-fiction to the summer reading lists, said Thomas O'Toole, director of
the English department at Waltham.

And then we'll scratch our heads and try to decide how to get second
grade boys to LIKE non-fiction. If they hadn't been screwing around
with the kids so much trying to CHANGE them into little "its" instead of
boys and girls, they'd have found that somewhere between about the 7th
grade and the end of high school, boys NATURALLY start reading
non-fiction...it's part of that disturbing fascination they have with
BUILDING and ENGINEERING when left to their own nasty selves...

"I am doing it because it is part of the frameworks," said O'Toole, "but we
may find that it benefits the boys as they might find it more interesting
than some of the relationship-based fiction."

CLUE to the terminally stupid: second grade boys would be a bit more
interested in reading if the fiction that was provided was NOT
"relationship-based"... Apparently "Mr." O'toole is young enough that
he was never exposed to the realities of being a boy...

Although both Wyeth and O'Toole thought the question was interesting,
neither thought it was a pressing concern in Waltham right now.

"It's worth thinking about," said Wyeth. "But for us, it has not jumped off
the page."

In her classroom, Whittemore fifth-grade teacher Bonnie Osborn tries to
fight gender issues by trying to "create a safe environment where the
children can take risks."

And I bet that is exactly how she describes it to those poor
unsuspecting boys...right before she tells them that it's hurtful to
suggest that girls and boys aren't the same...

Osborn assigns each student jobs on a rotating basis. "I have seen us become
more aware," said Osborn. "I have definitely had a couple of boys who
thought it was not cool to be smart."

But she is pleased with the growing number of boys who think make-up and
body-piercings are cool, and the increasing number of her 5th graders
who are comfortable discussing their own sexuality with BOTH genders in
classroom discussions...

But for Osborn, continuing an open forum of communication and maintaining an
environment where it is "safe to be smart" has helped some of those issues.

She also said that the two required reading books for the fifth-grade have a
boy narrator in one and a girl in the other.

But I'll give you 5-1 odds that BOTH books are touchy-feely and that at
least one of them is pro-gay.

"The goal is to get both the boys and the girls to like reading," she said.

Yeah, to make them as much indistinguishable as possible...

Back at Northeast, Davis said she does a lot of tailoring the curriculum to
fit each child's needs. She has even gone to the Registry of Motor Vehicles
to procure a truck driving manual for a child who insisted that as a future
truck driver he did not need to know how to read.

When he saw he needed to read the manual, but could not, Davis used the
manual as a tool. "He got to a point where he could read large parts of it,"
she said.

But this individualized instruction is not always an easy task. "We try to
be all things to all kids, but we can't do it all the time," she said. "But
the first step is recognizing the problem. Once something is brought to your
consciousness, you can do something about it."

Not true. The first step is to convince enough people that something IS
a problem, rather than normal behaviour, then you can spend lots of time
and make lots of money and gain much notoriety looking for a solution to
your invented "problem"...

Mel Gamble

Old November 29th 03, 06:08 PM
Bob Whiteside

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ools11262003.h

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

WALTHAM -- Northeast Elementary School teacher Pat Davis has started to
notice a trend with some of the boys in her second-grade class.

"The girls are the ones who really want to show off their knowledge," said
Davis who has been a teacher for 33 years.

"About 20 years ago, the research suggested that girls were being left
behind," said Davis. "We were trying so hard to pull the girls along. Now

we
need to make sure the boys also think it is cool to be smart."

Read Christina Hoff Sommers book The War Against Boys: How Misguided
Feminism is Harming Young Men. Ms. Sommers has an entire chapter debunking
this so called "research." It took Ms. Sommers several attempts over
several years to get the intellectuals who conducted the "research" that
lead to the finding "girls were being left behind" to admit they only
interviewed a handful of girls at one school and reached their conclusion
based on a few anecdotal accounts expressed by a minority of girls
interviewed.

This "research" is junk science. The "researchers" went out and found a few
young girls who said some things that fit their pre-determined conclusions.
Then when they were pressed to share their basic "research data" so their
conclusions could be independently verified by other scholars, they refused
to share their "raw data." Ms. Sommers eventually flushed them out and
wrote a counter opinion book stating the facts.

Some schools have gone so far as to not allow children to play tag,
eliminate recess altogether, build schools without playgrounds, force boys
to quilt, force boys to pretend they are women, etc. in their attempts to
feminize boys. Sommers book is about how the National Education Association
and the American Association of University Women support these policies and
their inclusion in school curriculum.

The bottom line is boys are being sacrificed in our public schools to
advance the feminist agenda that girls need extra assistance in school. But
the premise about what is going on in our schools is based on junk science
and phony research.

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

WALTHAM -- Northeast Elementary School teacher Pat Davis has started to
notice a trend with some of the boys in her second-grade class.

"The girls are the ones who really want to show off their knowledge," said
Davis who has been a teacher for 33 years.

A predictable result of all the "grrrl power" silliness of recent
years.

"About 20 years ago, the research suggested that girls were being left
behind," said Davis. "We were trying so hard to pull the girls along. Now we
need to make sure the boys also think it is cool to be smart."

I guess the "Boy Talk" programs that accompanied your "Grrl Power"
programs didn't make the boys as much like girls as you thought it
would.

Davis said the children in her class work to earn quiet activity time. "The

Is that what you think little boys want? Quiet activity time? No
wonder boys are suffering. For an educator of children, by which I
mean _all_ children, this bimbo is about as useful as a pork pie at a
Jewish wedding.

girls play school while the boys build," she said, illustrating a trend that

has resulted in all the giant structures you see around you, little
lady.

has some educators and scholars wondering if after years of focusing their
energy on helping girls to participate more in class, assert themselves
academically and achieve in math and science, whether it is possible that
the boys could now use a boost.

Boys don't need a boost from you. They need you to stop sitting them
in chairs all day, constantly ordering them to be quiet, and doping
them up on ritalin if they show anything other than complete
submission.

While girls have grown academically by leaps and bounds, boys may be getting
left behind, some possibly viewing school as "a girl thing."

To be sure, there are still gaps in girls' education. "Girls remain at a
disadvantage with SAT scores,"

Which are more a measure of native intelligence than academic
achievement...

said Marsha Mirkin, Ph.D., a scholar at the
women's studies research center at Brandeis University.

Interesting. For an article on the education of boys, they interview
...... a women's studies professor. Ridiculous.

And is anyone noticing a trend here? Has a single man been quoted in
this article? Are today's boys getting _any_ male guidance at school?

"We want girls more interested in history and economics and boys more
interested in literature and fiction,"

Why? If boys are interested in history and economics, why not nurture
that instead of redirecting them elsewhere?

said Mirkin who directs her studies
toward improvements in education for both sexes, including equal
representation of both the male and the female "movers and shakers" in
historical as well as literature that represents both sexes.

One can't equalize that. The movers and shakers in history and
literature are overwhelmingly men. An attempt to hide that is a
farcical denial of reality and will cut out vast swaths of the true
history and literature these kids should be learning.

"The schools are a microcosm and mirror the gender politics of the society,"
Mirkin said.

They may be, but only because your type has made them so. They should
a place where kids actually learn something _other_ than gender
politics.

In Waltham, the problems are similar. "Girls have always been stronger in
the humanities and arts,

I question that.

while boys have been stronger in science and math,"

I don't question that.

said Dr. Alexander Wyeth, assistant superintendent for curriculum and
instruction. "That is something we are working on."

Why?

Answer: Science and math are more useful and lead to greater
prosperity later in life.

On a curriculum level, this means a number of things, including adding more
non-fiction to the summer reading lists,

Great! Start with _The Manipulated Man_, by Esther Vilar.

[...]

Back at Northeast, Davis said she does a lot of tailoring the curriculum to
fit each child's needs. She has even gone to the Registry of Motor Vehicles
to procure a truck driving manual for a child who insisted that as a future
truck driver he did not need to know how to read.

When he saw he needed to read the manual, but could not, Davis used the
manual as a tool. "He got to a point where he could read large parts of it,"
she said.

Well at least you didn't shove Judy Blume down his throat.

[...]

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

[...]

Several years ago, I happened to meet one of the women who was
instrumental in pushing the American Association of University Women
agenda to promote educational progress for girls at the expense of
boys. It was a purely social setting, and I was very conscious of the
danger of being combative in what I said to her. However, I was very
curious about how AAUW justified its position in light of research that
(even back then) showed that it was BOYS, not girls, who were falling
behind in school. Even at that time, young women made up more than half
the college population.

So as gently as possible I asked this woman about the AAUW position.
Her replies were utterly pathetic -- in the sense of making me wonder
how anyone so mentally muddled could possibly hold down any kind of
educational policy job. It was like talking to an Alzheimers sufferer.
She was incapable of explaining the AAUW position in any sensible or
intelligent way, and it was truly astonishing to think that she was an
official of a group that claimed to represent university women. It
would have been very easy to make her look ridiculous.

At one point I asked this woman what she thought of the two sexes being
educated separately, since that might eliminate some of the bias against
girls that was claimed by the AAUW. Her reply amounted to saying that
she thought girls should perhaps be educated in all-girls schools, but
boys should be educated in coeducational establishments. Nice trick if
you could manage it! However, at that point I had concluded that this
woman was so pathetic that there was no point in discussing the matter
with her.

The AAUW's position was based on some findings of two of their tame
researchers, a couple called Sadker. I have a tape of a radio show in
which Christina Hoff Sommers debated, and completely trounced, the
Sadkers on the subject of their "research."

There is beginning to be -- in the U.S. and Britain at least -- more
concern about the way in which the educational system short-changes
boys. But it is scandalous how long the correction is taking.
Meantime, how many millions of boys have been sacrificed on the altar of
feminist political correctness?