Poll: Birth Control

Old December 21st 05, 06:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Poll: Birth Control

Akuvikate wrote:
Amy wrote:

But he said my ONLY options were the pill and the shot. I don't even
know if he took my history into consideration - I wonder if he just
defaults to those because they're easier for him.

Grrr... Doctors...

But do you really want to be the first person he's fitted for a
diaphragm in 4 years? If you really care about not getting pregnant,
not getting UTIs, and not being uncomfortable (all things that happen
with poorly fitted diaphragms) I'd suggest that it wouldn't be such a
good idea. Believe me, you're in a very very small minority these days
for being interested in a diaphragm.

Surely he should have offered her a copper IUD given her history, if he
didn't feel comfortable fitting a diaphragm?

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old December 21st 05, 06:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

tristyn wrote:

My experience with labor was a really long time ago, but the IUD
insertion pain consisted of nothing more than a short pinch from the
uterine sound - lasted a second or two, and while it wasn't fun, it
wouldn't deter me from doing it again. Getting the stitches removed from
my c-section incision was more uncomfortable.

Cool. I've tweezed chin hairs that hurt more than having my staples
removed. :-)

I got quoted $400+ for a copper IUD three years ago, and my insurance
does not cover birth control. Does anyone know if someone covers them
more cheaply? I don't know if I'll go for a second child or not, and
I'd feel pretty silly spending $400 for six months of bc given that we
are also using final defense prep fatigue as a contraceptive if that
turns out to be how things pan out for us.

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old December 21st 05, 08:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
oups.com...
Cool. I've tweezed chin hairs that hurt more than having my staples
removed. :-)

Staples? What is it with staples? Mine dissolved.

I got quoted $400+ for a copper IUD three years ago, and my insurance
does not cover birth control. Does anyone know if someone covers them
more cheaply?

Well, yeah-the same one I'm using, if you qualify.

Jess

Old December 21st 05, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Birth Control

"Amy" wrote in message
My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore!

FWIW, I absolutely hated the diaphragm. It was absolutely horrible. I ended
up not being able to use condoms (had a horrible allergic reaction to them),
so I went back on the pill after the first and second pregnancy and then DH
had a vasectomy when I was pregnant with the third.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 21st 05, 03:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sue wrote:
"Amy" wrote in message
My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore!

FWIW, I absolutely hated the diaphragm. It was absolutely horrible. I ended
up not being able to use condoms (had a horrible allergic reaction to them),
so I went back on the pill after the first and second pregnancy and then DH
had a vasectomy when I was pregnant with the third.

Mine has expressed extreme discomfort with the idea of a vasectomy.
Oh, does he have another think coming!!! It'll go like this, "Listen,
Honey, birth control in this house has been a pain in MY ass for over
10 years now. It can be a pain in yours for a couple of days." And
after a couple natural childbirths, I'll be qualified to say, "Oh, suck
it up!" too. There will be no whining.

I'm half tempted to have the spare to go with our heir soon, just so I
can get this BC nonsense over with. If I just quit taking the pill (of
course, DH and I would decide this together) and decided that LAM is
great, and if it doesn't work, that's fine too, and we get PG again
within a year or so, then I could talk him into the snip while I'm PG
and we could be DONE. He only wants two kids (I'd like three, but now
that I've got one, I think two's enough). It might be nice for them to
be close in age, too. Hmmm...

Sounds like I need to talk to my man.

Amy

Old December 21st 05, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I really wouldn't recommend a vasectomy while you are pregnant,
although it is up to you.

A friend of a friend decided to do this so that by the time she was
fertile again birth control wouldn't be an issue. She had a stillborn.
Luckily they were able to reverse the vasectomy and have another
child, but to me it's just jinxing things. Then he had to go through 3
cuts, an idea my DH certainly wouldn't welcome with open arms! My DH
has expressed his hate for the idea too, but c'est la vie!!

BC is such a pain in the bum.

Old December 21st 05, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
oups.com...
I got quoted $400+ for a copper IUD three years ago, and my insurance
does not cover birth control. Does anyone know if someone covers them
more cheaply? I don't know if I'll go for a second child or not, and
I'd feel pretty silly spending $400 for six months of bc given that we
are also using final defense prep fatigue as a contraceptive if that
turns out to be how things pan out for us.

Are you in the States? If you are, you might find out what Planned
Parenthood would charge you for one. It might be less than $400+. (I was
lucky; my insurer covered the entire cost of my copper-T, although I didn't
expect it).
--
Be well, Barbara

Old December 21st 05, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mine has expressed extreme discomfort with the idea of a vasectomy.
Oh, does he have another think coming!!! It'll go like this, "Listen,
Honey, birth control in this house has been a pain in MY ass for over
10 years now. It can be a pain in yours for a couple of days." And
after a couple natural childbirths, I'll be qualified to say, "Oh, suck
it up!" too. There will be no whining.

You know, I really don't think it is at ALL fair to ask another person to
undergo surgical modification of HIS body for YOUR convenience. Yes, I know,
birth control affects both of you, but still...if you really want the
finality and simplicity of a surgical solution and your husband doesn't, the
fact that you've given birth and had to deal with birth control up to now
just doesn't qualify as a reason he should "suck it up" and do what YOU
want. Sorry, but it just sounds to me like a good way to put a strain on
your marital relationship.

My husband and I are done having children as far as we know, but NEITHER of
us is particularly comfortable with the finality of surgical sterilization.
I was already 38 when I had my copper-T put in and they last for 10 years.
I'll be 48 when this one "wears out". I figure I'll need one replacement and
then I'll be done with birth control forever due to menopause. And the
"pain" of having the IUD done the first time was next to nothing--certainly
less than my husband would endure if he had a vasectomy. And because it's
not permanent, if we get a wild hair and want another child, we can still at
least TRY to have one.

Really, though, I find the IUD so easy and worry-free that it's as good as
surgical sterilization as far as I'm concerned (and almost as effective
statistically, incidentally--the failure rate is very, VERY low). I think
you should at least try an IUD before you decide that surgically altering
your husband against his wishes is your preferred method of birth control.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old December 21st 05, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mine has expressed extreme discomfort with the idea of a vasectomy.
Oh, does he have another think coming!!! It'll go like this, "Listen,
Honey, birth control in this house has been a pain in MY ass for over
10 years now. It can be a pain in yours for a couple of days." And
after a couple natural childbirths, I'll be qualified to say, "Oh, suck
it up!" too. There will be no whining.

We decided that while they're pulling the next one out, they snip the tubing
while they're at it, and then he gets his done too.

Jess

Old December 21st 05, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Circe writes:
:
: You know, I really don't think it is at ALL fair to ask another person to
: undergo surgical modification of HIS body for YOUR convenience. Yes, I know,
: birth control affects both of you, but still...if you really want the
: finality and simplicity of a surgical solution and your husband doesn't, the
: fact that you've given birth and had to deal with birth control up to now
: just doesn't qualify as a reason he should "suck it up" and do what YOU
: want. Sorry, but it just sounds to me like a good way to put a strain on
: your marital relationship.

As a guy whose motto is "Never say never" I completely agree with Circe!

A hard nosed position on this would be a relationship breaker for me.

Larry