cake making help needed - camouflaged cake!

Old September 20th 03, 10:37 PM
just me

Default cake making help needed - camouflaged cake!

HELP!!!!

DS is having a 'bivouac' for his birthday. He has requested that we make a
"camouflage" birthday cake. So far the only thing I can think of is making
a marble cake and icing it with [from the can guys] chocolate swirls mixed
with vanilla swirls some of which we food color a greenish yellow. Who can
help this not a great cook do something that looks cool? Oh, and one added
bonus, the cake will actually be four individual servings baked in tins the
size of chicken pot pie individual servings tins. that way there will be no
left overs to tempt the parental units.....

Aula

Old September 21st 03, 12:56 AM
HollyLewis

DS is having a 'bivouac' for his birthday. He has requested that we make a
"camouflage" birthday cake. So far the only thing I can think of is making
a marble cake and icing it with [from the can guys] chocolate swirls mixed
with vanilla swirls some of which we food color a greenish yellow. Who can
help this not a great cook do something that looks cool? Oh, and one added
bonus, the cake will actually be four individual servings baked in tins the
size of chicken pot pie individual servings tins. that way there will be no
left overs to tempt the parental units.....

Aula

C'mon, Aula, make real frosting. It really does make a difference, and it's
easy. :-) (Easier than baking the cake, even if you're using a mix.)

You can get a really good olive green by mixing green food coloring into
chocolate frosting.

You might try those spray-on colors, and use a paper template to get sharper
edges between the colors than you could get by swirling different colors of
frosting.

Or you could use the back of a toy jeep as a serving dish and forget trying to
get a camo pattern on the frosting. ;-)

Holly
Old September 21st 03, 02:23 AM
just me

"HollyLewis" wrote in message
C'mon, Aula, make real frosting. It really does make a difference, and

it's
easy. :-) (Easier than baking the cake, even if you're using a mix.)

/nearly runs screaming from thread.

You can get a really good olive green by mixing green food coloring into
chocolate frosting.

really?
/deep breathing here to relax myself.
I can start to get the motivation.

You might try those spray-on colors, and use a paper template to get

sharper
edges between the colors than you could get by swirling different colors

of
frosting.

Spray on colors for icing? Guess we know how little I haunt grocery stores
and sweets aisles! i never heard of such a thing. I will mention that as
something to check out to husband, also [he does the grocery shopping around
here]. That might be more workable than anything else and *might* be one of
the lesser expensive options.

Or you could use the back of a toy jeep as a serving dish and forget

trying to
get a camo pattern on the frosting. ;-)

Naw, I'll go for it. It's just scary. I've made maybe 12 cakes in the last
12 years, and most of them have been DS' birthday cakes with the rest being
hubby birthday cakes thrown in for good measure. Not much practice, but I'm
game, just unacquainted with a lot of the tools and tricks! Thanks for the
great ideas!

-Aula ;-)

Old September 22nd 03, 05:25 PM
sher

"just me" wrote in message m...
HELP!!!!

DS is having a 'bivouac' for his birthday. He has requested that we make a
"camouflage" birthday cake. So far the only thing I can think of is making
a marble cake and icing it with [from the can guys] chocolate swirls mixed
with vanilla swirls some of which we food color a greenish yellow. Who can
help this not a great cook do something that looks cool? Oh, and one added
bonus, the cake will actually be four individual servings baked in tins the
size of chicken pot pie individual servings tins. that way there will be no
left overs to tempt the parental units.....

Aula

http://www.birthdayexpress.com/bexpr....asp?sku=26252

Birthday Express has a Special Forces theme, but I don't see any ideas
for cakes. They show some cupcakes that look like they've used some
sort of flattened candies to create a camouflage pattern. If you read
the Product Reviews, someone might mention what they did for a cake
and it might get you started.

This URL might have some ideas. I think they have some discussion
boards as well.

http://www.cakeworkscentral.com/

~ Sher
Old September 22nd 03, 06:48 PM
HollyLewis

You can get a really good olive green by mixing green food coloring into
chocolate frosting.

really?

Sure. That's the color I ended up with for a turtle- and a caterpillar-shaped
cake, and it was strikingly realistic. :-) I suppose you could accomplish the
same thing by mixing green and brown coloring, but I wanted chocolate frosting
for that particular cake anyway.

Spray on colors for icing? Guess we know how little I haunt grocery stores
and sweets aisles! i never heard of such a thing.

I've seen 'em advertised, but never used them myself. The problem you'll have
is that they likely only come in bright colors, and I don't think you'd be able
to mix them.

Sher mentioned using candies, and I can certainly envision using slightly
melted and misshapen peppermint patties to make camoflauge. :-) But I can't
think of anything green you might use. You could also try buying premade
fondant icing (a craft store that sells cake decorating stuff is a better bet
than a supermarket for this) which you can tint, roll out, and cut into your
camoflauge patterns, then drape on the cake.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old September 23rd 03, 02:18 AM
just me

"sher" wrote in message
om...
http://www.birthdayexpress.com/bexpr....asp?sku=26252

Birthday Express has a Special Forces theme, but I don't see any ideas
for cakes. They show some cupcakes that look like they've used some
sort of flattened candies to create a camouflage pattern. If you read
the Product Reviews, someone might mention what they did for a cake
and it might get you started.

This URL might have some ideas. I think they have some discussion
boards as well.

http://www.cakeworkscentral.com/

Thank you for that reference. I had not found it [before!] and I appreciate
the suggestions. Our "battle plan" is developing. ;-)

-Aula