Are we okay?

Old March 5th 04, 06:53 PM
Kathy

Default Are we okay?

Seems like I'm always posting here asking if what we're going through at
a particular point in time is "normal"...

Our DD will be 6 months on the 15th. She is exclusively BF. We have
NOT started her on solids of any kind yet, but plan to at the 6 month
mark, provided she seems ready. She sleeps through the night without
feeding, from approximately 11pm to 9am.

My question...DD has recently dropped the number of times she feeds a
day to 6-8. Not long ago (maybe 2 weeks) she was eating more like 10-12
times a day. She seems happy and content, and makes enough wet and
poopy diapers. Does this seem normal?

The main reason I ask is, I thought that at this point as a sign that
she is ready for solids she would actually want to eat MORE, to the
point where I wouldn't be able to keep up with her. I keep hearing that
one of the signs of readiness for solids is the baby doesn't seem
content with breastmilk alone.

Sometimes now when DD eats she barely seems to eat at all...she only
feeds for 5-10 minutes at a time, and sometimes stops way before I think
she's gotten much at all. She oftentimes seems too busy to eat now,
looking all around at everything.

Guess I'm just looking to hear that others have had this experience and
that it's normal. I know all babies are different, but this just seems
odd after feeding her so much for the past months.

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Kathy

Old March 5th 04, 07:15 PM
nina

its possible she is able to nurse more efficiently and take in more milk in
fewer,shorter feedings
if her output is the same, it probably isnt a problem

Old March 6th 04, 12:10 AM
iphigenia

"Kathy" wrote in message

My question...DD has recently dropped the number of times she feeds a
day to 6-8. Not long ago (maybe 2 weeks) she was eating more like 10-12
times a day. She seems happy and content, and makes enough wet and
poopy diapers. Does this seem normal?

Yes. They do tend to get more efficient at the breast, particularly as they
get older and are interested in finishing and getting back to their
exploration of the world.

The main reason I ask is, I thought that at this point as a sign that
she is ready for solids she would actually want to eat MORE, to the
point where I wouldn't be able to keep up with her. I keep hearing that
one of the signs of readiness for solids is the baby doesn't seem
content with breastmilk alone.

This is not one of the signs of readiness, and it's something of a myth that
a baby will stop being content with breastmilk alone. Breastmilk will keep a
baby fully satisfied and nourished until easily past a year. There's a
growth spurt at around 6 months; many people don't realize it's a growth
spurt and think that their milk's drying up or breastmilk's not enough
anymore. Solid food shouldn't be a significant source of nutrition in the
first year anyway, it's mainly for learning.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net