fidgety kids

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 6th 06, 01:53 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Cathy Kearns

Default fidgety kids

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
That's been my take pretty much. He is bored, he repeatedly states he
is bored. I figure he needs to find some way to occupy himself that is
not distracting to others. Teachers seem to have different levels of
tolerance for this. In 4th grade his teacher remarked that he "read at
inappropriate times." Turns out when she was reading aloud to the
class he preferred to read his own book. I don't see that as a
problem, but she sure did. Similarly, the example of his science
teacher who, despite quite clear evidence that the kid already knew the
material, was upset that he was reading in class. So, we continue to
work on that front. I've suggested doodling, but his teacher is not too
keen on that either. He gets frustrated with helping other kids, but
that is something he needs to learn to deal with better.

My daughter reads ahead in the book the teacher is reading out loud.
Another idea is to present "doodling" as note taking. He can take notes on
the story being told, perhaps to help him pick out reoccuring themes, or
work on illustrations of the story. In science note taking should be even
more necessary, to pick up minor facts that may be important later on. To
note math equations. Or even to write down questions that explain things in
more depth that he can ask when appropriate or look up later.