No AF at 14 months - but wanting to TTC #2 - any advice?

Old February 29th 04, 09:16 PM
Cathy

Default No AF at 14 months - but wanting to TTC #2 - any advice?

Hi all, I know this is not really unusual, but at 14 months I still have no
AF. Until 2 months ago I thought it was a bonus - now I am not so sure. DD
is on solids full on - somedays I don't know where she puts it all! And she
generally nurses 3 times a day, although lately the lunchtime one has been
almost a non-event. She is sleeping about 10 hours at night, although we
did have a hiccup last month and were back to night nursings. I went to the
doctor for my cervical smear last month, and mentioned the absence of AF.
He did some blood tests, just in case, but everything was normal. I am
guessing that I might be one of those people who need to wean entirely
before AF will return. Is there any way around this? I don't really want to
wean DD just so I can get pregnant (I am being very selfish here - I want
the best of both worlds). I am not getting any younger, and we don't know
how many children we would like. I suspect 2 will be all we can afford, but
I'd like to have the option of 3. The doctor did mention kickstarting the
hormones, but I can't remember exactly what he said, and he didn't say
whether it would work if I was still breastfeeding. Any advice? Any rays
of hope from people who have had their period start naturally (later) while
still breastfeeding? And if DD doesn't wean naturally, would 18 months be
an o.k. time to try and get her to wean?

I'm confused as I don't know anyone else in this situation (all my friends
who have children the same age or older, who are still nursing have their
periods back). Thanks for any advice.

Cathy

Old February 29th 04, 10:43 PM
Iuil

No advice here, but my period came back at 16 months after #1, 20
months after #2, and 17 months after #3. My two older sons are 26
months apart.

Thank you! It is really good to hear that I am not alone!! (My friends
here got theirs back between 3 and 9 months).

Mine came back in January, after 18.5 months. No sign since though.

Jean - no I'm not!

Old February 29th 04, 11:47 PM
nina

I was period free about 18 months with each of my kids. I had one period
between my 1st and 2nd kids.
I didnt wean my son till I was already pregnant with my daughter. I think
the night nursings are a major factor
in the absence of menses. Perhaps if you can cut those out??

Old March 1st 04, 12:35 AM
Cathy

nina wrote:
I was period free about 18 months with each of my kids. I had one
period between my 1st and 2nd kids.
I didnt wean my son till I was already pregnant with my daughter. I
think the night nursings are a major factor
in the absence of menses. Perhaps if you can cut those out??

As of last month I have cut out night nursings. I think I'll wait till DD
is 18 months (it just seems like a nice round figure!) and then look at
weaning her should nothing happen between now and then. Thanks heaps for
your reply - I'd love to keep nursing DD as long as she wants, but I also
really want to conceive no. 2 before I am 35 (which is 2 years away).

Cathy

Old March 1st 04, 12:36 AM
Cathy

Iuil wrote:
No advice here, but my period came back at 16 months after #1, 20
months after #2, and 17 months after #3. My two older sons are 26
months apart.

Thank you! It is really good to hear that I am not alone!! (My
friends here got theirs back between 3 and 9 months).

Mine came back in January, after 18.5 months. No sign since though.

Jean - no I'm not!

Are you sure?!! Thanks - good to know I'm not the only one whose body takes
a while to get back to 'normal'.

Cathy

Old March 1st 04, 02:45 AM
Spanannie

There was a way around it for me: Clomid. I had 2 or 3 sort of periods,
but was still anovulatory with hardly any uterine lining. I had quit night
nursing at almost 5 mos. and Zach was only nursing 3 times daily. It looked
like I would have to wean to conceive (if that would even do it), but I did
not want to give up the nursing. One cycle of of Clomid got me my little
girl that I'm currently expecting. However, my son weaned about 4 mos after
I got pg--my milk was gone and now have colostrum. He did get to nurse for
19 mos, though I would have liked longer.

Fertility drugs probably aren't the way to go for most people to resume
fertility, but I had already had issues and conceived my son with injectable
fertility drugs/IUI, so it seemed like a "normal" choice for me. I'm glad
that I did it :-)

Annie
mom to Zach, born 6.19.02
and expecting Baby Grace 6.20.04

Old March 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Samantha Atkinson

I'm delurking to let you know you are not alone. I also want to TTC #2, but
don't want to wean my son (he's almost 20 months) and am still waiting ...
I'm VERY interested in your responses.
Thanks for asking this question,
Samantha