No AF at 14 months - but wanting to TTC #2 - any advice?

Old March 1st 04, 05:23 AM
iphigenia

Default No AF at 14 months - but wanting to TTC #2 - any advice?

Cathy wrote:
The doctor did mention kickstarting the hormones,
but I can't remember exactly what he said, and he didn't say whether
it would work if I was still breastfeeding.

Provera. It might work, and it wouldn't hurt anything to try it.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old March 1st 04, 05:31 AM
Beth

"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi all, I know this is not really unusual, but at 14 months I still have

no
AF.

Cathy,

I've heard that 14 months is the *average* time for a nursing mother to get
AF back. Don't go asking for Clomid yet :-)

AF returned here when DS was 12 months old and again now that he is almost
15 mos. I'm hoping that things will just naturally be in order by the time
he is 2 years old, so we can TTC. But I realize that my cycles are wacky
for the time being.

No advice for you on weaning. I'm 39 next week and feeling time pressure,
too, but prefer to let DS wean himself. At 39, conception is less likely,
and I would hate to have weaned DS for nothing . . .

Beth

Old March 2nd 04, 08:40 AM
Cathy

Spanannie wrote:
There was a way around it for me: Clomid.

That is probably what the doctor was meaning (dunno - he didn't mention
anything by name and I wasn't really that keen to ask). Thanks heaps for
your reply - good to know that it can be done without quitting nursing (but
yes, I am prepared for the small child to give up of her own accord should I
actually get pregnant).

Cathy

Old March 2nd 04, 08:41 AM
Cathy

I'm delurking to let you know you are not alone. I also want to TTC
#2, but don't want to wean my son (he's almost 20 months) and am
still waiting ... I'm VERY interested in your responses.
Thanks for asking this question,
Samantha

All the best with your trying Samantha. And it can be fun trying anyway,
can't it!!

Cathy

Old March 2nd 04, 08:49 AM
Cathy

Beth wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi all, I know this is not really unusual, but at 14 months I still
have no AF.

Cathy,

I've heard that 14 months is the *average* time for a nursing mother
to get AF back. Don't go asking for Clomid yet :-)

No, I'm going to wait till 18 months (just seems like a nice round figure).
I had fairly long and irregular cycles before DD was conceived (which is why
I laugh at the way pregnancy is taken from the date of the last period -
fine in a lot of people, but not me).

No advice for you on weaning. I'm 39 next week and feeling time
pressure, too, but prefer to let DS wean himself. At 39, conception
is less likely, and I would hate to have weaned DS for nothing . . .

Good luck with things - I am finding it such a hard decision (and I'm not
even planning to wean for at least 4 months, if then), but I am starting to
get the 'haven't you weaned that child yet' speech from MIL, and the 'isn't
it time we have another grandchild' speech from my mother, and for some
reason, I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable about things. But, I
know what is best for my daughter, and currently that is to put off any
broodiness, and concentrate on giving her the very best!!

Cathy

Old March 2nd 04, 09:53 AM
Tine Andersen

#2, but don't want to wean my son (he's almost 20 months) and am
still waiting ... I'm VERY interested in your responses.
Thanks for asking this question,
Samantha

All the best with your trying Samantha. And it can be fun trying anyway,
can't it!!

Not if you have been trying for 2-3 years the first time and you are trying
for no. two! It was a relief to go into fertility treatment.

Tine.

Old March 4th 04, 07:47 AM
Cathy

#2, but don't want to wean my son (he's almost 20 months) and am
still waiting ... I'm VERY interested in your responses.
Thanks for asking this question,
Samantha

All the best with your trying Samantha. And it can be fun trying
anyway, can't it!!

Not if you have been trying for 2-3 years the first time and you are
trying for no. two! It was a relief to go into fertility treatment.

Tine.

I'm sorry Tine - I didn't mean to offend. I have read a few articles
recently about secondary infertility, which apparently is becoming a lot
more common. A woman I worked with took 8 years to conceive no.2 (she had
undiagnosed endometriosis). I hope you are now sorted with no. 2 (sorry, I
don't read nearly as often as I'd like, so I'm way behind).

Cathy

Old March 4th 04, 03:12 PM
iphigenia

"Cathy" wrote in message

I'm sorry Tine - I didn't mean to offend.

It's one of the things people say all the time when they find out someone is
trying to conceive (the "well, at least you'll have fun trying!" bit). And
it's generally really frustrating, because even in my limited experience (I
never had to work longer than 6 months to get pregnant, which is nothing
compared to many women I know) it's just absolutely awful sex. It's not fun.
It's work. It's work with a huge level of emotional stress tied to it.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old March 4th 04, 04:58 PM
Beth

"iphigenia" wrote in message
It's one of the things people say all the time when they find out someone

is
trying to conceive (the "well, at least you'll have fun trying!" bit).

I actually heard it from my family practitioner, who might have glanced at
my charts before hand or recalled that she herself had referred me to
someone who could do intrauterine inseminations of donor sperm.

And
it's generally really frustrating, because even in my limited experience

(I
never had to work longer than 6 months to get pregnant, which is nothing
compared to many women I know) it's just absolutely awful sex. It's not

fun.
It's work. It's work with a huge level of emotional stress tied to it.

I'll bet.

For my part, I thought that the possibility of having a baby made spending
thousands of out-of-pocket dollars, having many donor inseminations and two
metroplasty surgeries just about the most exciting, entertaining project I'd
ever done. How's that for considering the glass half full? :-)

It took four years, because I lost as many pregnancies, inluding a beautiful
but premature boy, and I did my share of complaining and mourning, but all
that still did not kill the thrill of trying to conceive. I also got
pregnant fairly easily, so that might be part of it.

Beth