Introduction

Old November 29th 04, 03:52 PM
Kaybee

I wish that we lived where there were sidewalks. Even though we are moving
to Richmond VA we still will be in the burbs and need to drive everywhere.
But it is a nice quiet neighborhood and we are going to love it there.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old November 29th 04, 03:57 PM
Kaybee

"Rivka W" wrote in message
Leslie wrote:
Rivka said:

Anyone else here an urban/central city parent?

We're two miles from downtown and even walk there on occasion
--we attend a lot of the goings on there. We live in a close-in
neighborhood with sidewalks where we can walk almost anywhere
we need to--useful, since we are a one-car family! And I love it
that my big kids can walk to the park, library, or drugstore.

Oh, that does sound nice. You have the urban advantages and the
suburban advantages together, huh?

Most people around here seem to think that once you have kids you have
an obligation to move out to the suburbs.

Well us moving to the burbs is a big move for us. Since we live on a
mountain and it takes us 20 mins to get to civilization. We are both
love the country where your closest neighbor is probably a minimum of an
accor away. So us moving to a development is a huge move and will be
getting some use to. But then again this is a great move since hubby is
going to have an awesome job.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

I really like the idea of
raising Li'l Critter right downtown - I think it will be good for her
perspective to live in a neighborhood that is racially and
economically mixed, and I like that there is so much history and so
many cultural opportunities.

I also think that, when she's a baby, I'm going to enjoy having it be
so easy to leave the house to get a cup of coffee or whatever. I hope
that I'll be a little less stir-crazy than some of my suburban new-mom
friends.

Rivka
Li'l Critter due 4/3/05
--
Visit my weblog at http://respectfulofotters.blogspot.com

Old November 29th 04, 11:20 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Kaybee wrote:

Well us moving to the burbs is a big move for us. Since we live on a
mountain and it takes us 20 mins to get to civilization. We are both
love the country where your closest neighbor is probably a minimum of an
accor away. So us moving to a development is a huge move and will be
getting some use to. But then again this is a great move since hubby is
going to have an awesome job.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

That's almost us, except that our "mountain" (hill, or ridge, actually)
is 7-10 minutes from a small town (grocery store, cell-phone place,
vet's office, flower shop, Laundromat, pizzeria and a Sonic) and
interstate on-ramp. To get to a larger town with hospitals and doctors
and such takes 15-30 minutes, depending on if you turn right or left
when you get on the interstate. I love living out here in the sticks--we
have 5 acres of wooded hillside--but with the baby coming I worry about
the inevitable childhood trips to the ER, plus things like ice
storms/sleet storms and whatnot making the roads impassible. When it's
slick, you simply can't get there from here. And you need a car for
pretty much everything...no getting the stroller and walking to the
corner store.

However, at present, I'm not worried enough to move back to the city,
although Leslie makes urban life sound awfully appealing

Kay, good luck in the 'burbs! I'm sure you'll like it just fine once you
get used to it, and the kids will no doubt have lots of playmates.

-Rebecca of the Boondocks

Old December 1st 04, 01:44 AM
Kaybee

That's almost us, except that our "mountain" (hill, or ridge, actually)
is 7-10 minutes from a small town (grocery store, cell-phone place,
vet's office, flower shop, Laundromat, pizzeria and a Sonic) and
interstate on-ramp. To get to a larger town with hospitals and doctors
and such takes 15-30 minutes,

It takes us about 30-40 mins to get to the hospital depending on the
traffic. Since the hospital is right off the interstate it takes that long
to get there.

depending on if you turn right or left
when you get on the interstate. I love living out here in the sticks--we
have 5 acres of wooded hillside--but with the baby coming I worry about
the inevitable childhood trips to the ER,

I don't think that we have ever taken Eva to the ER...knock on wood. We
have come close but didn't have to.

plus things like ice
storms/sleet storms and whatnot making the roads impassible.

Yup can understand that. I still say that I am going to go into labor after
an ice storm and hubby will be at work and it takes him 20 mins on a good
day to get home.

When it's
slick, you simply can't get there from here. And you need a car for
pretty much everything...no getting the stroller and walking to the
corner store.

Nope there is no getting the stroller out for the walk to the corner store.
It is even dangerous around here to take a walk around the block or just up
and down the road. Don't know how many times we had to jump off the road
because of people flying up the road.

However, at present, I'm not worried enough to move back to the city,
although Leslie makes urban life sound awfully appealing

Kay, good luck in the 'burbs! I'm sure you'll like it just fine once you
get used to it,

I hope that I will like it. I have always been a country gal. My first
apartment was in a small town and I hated it. Too loud for me. grinz I
hope that it doesn't take me too long to get use to it.

Thanx
Kay

and the kids will no doubt have lots of playmates.

-Rebecca of the Boondocks

Quick introduction of myself :) Jill Breastfeeding 25 April 6th 04 09:33 PM
Introduction and question from an old pro! Smart Lady Breastfeeding 7 February 7th 04 10:47 AM
Introduction J Costello Single Parents 1 January 28th 04 09:18 PM
Introduction - in TTW phase! [email protected] Pregnancy 7 July 12th 03 05:25 PM
Introduction - in TWW phase! [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 10th 03 01:48 PM