picking a stroller

Old May 11th 04, 02:21 AM
Nic

Default picking a stroller

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
In article ,
says...
Kim E. wrote:

I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me

your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first

few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs

but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

What do you have, if you don't have sidewalks?

Gravel roads, grass, dirt and ditches.

What are you going to
be using the stroller for? We spend a fair amount of time in a rural
area, and like our jogging stroller for that -- the big wheels mean we
can take it on dirt roads. It's very stable, but it certainly isn't
lightweight.

I'm not sure what I will be using it for - the occasional trips to the
store and going for walks where there are dirt or grass paths. I think
I'd prefer a front carrier while the baby is little and a back carrier
into toddlerhood, but friends and family seem to keep saying that I'll
need a stroller.

-kim

Front carrier I agree baby bjorn is great. I bough mine brand new and have
used it a heap of times. Im actually thinking of selling mine as I no longer
need it.
As with back carries, Put a 15 kg bag of potatoes on to your back for a few
hours. After doing this day in and day out, Im sure you will want a
stroller.
I found I more I carry my children the more back problems I have.

I carn't offer adive on strollers as I dont use them much now my children
are older. I use either my double stroller or I use a supermarket trolley
when at the shops.

Nic

Old May 11th 04, 04:43 AM
dejablues

Whatever you can find at a garage sale or consignment shop. I think my kids
spent about five minutes total in a stroller so I'm glad I never bought an
expensive one (the first one I got was a shower gift!)

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

thanks!

-kim edd 7 aug 04

Old May 11th 04, 07:02 PM
Akuvikate

Kim E. wrote in message ia.net...

I'm not sure what I will be using it for - the occasional trips to the
store and going for walks where there are dirt or grass paths. I think
I'd prefer a front carrier while the baby is little and a back carrier
into toddlerhood, but friends and family seem to keep saying that I'll
need a stroller.

-kim

Well, then you could just wait until you feel the need (if/when) and
then get one. At that point you'd probably have a much better idea of
what you'd use it for and what qualities you need. And if you never
feel the need, you didn't spend the money!

I'm more of a sling/backpack gal myself, but there are definitely
times the stroller is nice to have. When eating out it can be handy
when a highchair isn't an option. For longer walks it's nice not to
carry the weight the whole way. When I expect her to fall asleep
while we're out it's nice for her to be able to continue her nap in
the stroller on our return. It has a really good rainguard which has
come in handy a few times. We recently moved to an upstairs apartment
and hardly ever use our stroller anymore because it's just such a pain
to lug up and down, but we still love it and find it very useful when
we do need it.

Kate
and the Bug, 11 months
Old May 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Coccinella

I have a Pliko3 by Peg Perego and I love it!. The car seat fits into the
stroller and Alexandra has hours of sleep in there. It is very slim and
light in weight but sturdy at th esame time. The stroller itself folds like
an umbrella stroller and it's very easy to carry around. It fits perfectly
in the trunk of the car and it comes with a wonderful cover for the sun. I
also have the Baby Bjorn, but sometimes you really want to rest your back
and the stroller works like a charm.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 12th 04, 02:58 PM
Penny Gaines

Kim E. wrote in t:

What are you going to
be using the stroller for? We spend a fair amount of time in a rural
area, and like our jogging stroller for that -- the big wheels mean we
can take it on dirt roads. It's very stable, but it certainly isn't
lightweight.

I'm not sure what I will be using it for - the occasional trips to the
store and going for walks where there are dirt or grass paths.**I*think
I'd prefer a front carrier while the baby is little and a back carrier
into toddlerhood, but friends and family seem to keep saying that I'll
need a stroller.

In your situation I would look at options for strollers *before* the baby
is born, but you can leave actually buying it until you need it. If you
know which model you want, you may find a second hand bargain beforehand.

I don't know what your physique is like, but my babies got too heavy
for *me* to sling around sometime between two weeks and six months.

The other problem you may find is people who would be willing to look
after the baby for you, but who don't want to/are unable to use a sling.
For example, if you often go on shopping trips with other people.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 13th 04, 05:34 PM
looming illuminary of mischief

Coccinella wrote:

SHUT THE **** UP AND LISTEN:

When buying a stroller; it's all well and good to buy one that folds up easy
into your land raping SUV and all that happy horse ****, but the need for
the suv in the first place is crap, as I can fit 3 kiddie seats in the back
of my saturn.

Get a stroller that is NOT a menace to everyone's shins at the mall, the
grocery store and all those other places it doesnt belong. Better yet,
leave the brats at home when you shop.

You have your orders
Old May 14th 04, 03:05 AM
Katie

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:37:42 GMT, "Coccinella"
wrote:

I have a Pliko3 by Peg Perego and I love it!. The car seat fits into the
stroller and Alexandra has hours of sleep in there. It is very slim and
light in weight but sturdy at th esame time. The stroller itself folds like
an umbrella stroller and it's very easy to carry around. It fits perfectly
in the trunk of the car and it comes with a wonderful cover for the sun. I
also have the Baby Bjorn, but sometimes you really want to rest your back
and the stroller works like a charm.

Love

I just got a Pliko Trek and agree with Nicky that the Plikos are
great. Mine weighs about 16 lbs, folds like an umbrella and has a
carrying handle on the side. I *think* (hope) it's narrow enough to
fit through an airport x-ray. It's very stable even with shopping
bags and a diaper bag on the handles, and is very easy to steer even
with one hand (which I understand can be a problem with umbrella-type
strollers). The wheels are large and rugged enough that I can use it
easily on gravel, dirt, bark mulch, grass, etc - today I even managed
to use it on sand! Also, it's VERY easy to fold and unfold. I
practiced doing it in the store while holding DS (6 months, 18 lbs) in
one arm and it was the easiest of all the models I tried. The other
things I looked for that were selling points for me were that it came
with a rain cover as well as a very good sun canopy, a sturdy cup
holder for me, a tray for DS that swings open and is removable (for
when he's a toddler and wants to climb in and out), a fully reclining
seat so he can sleep in it easily and also so I can put our carseat in
it ( a Graco, not a Peg Perego), a five-point harness, and a basket.

I highly recommend any of the Peg Perego Plikos, but especially the
Trek, if you can afford them. That's their only drawback - mine was
on sale for CDN$289. But I figure that it's worth it in the long-run
since I use it every day.

I do have a Bjorn (which is just way too hard on my back now), a sling
(which I find very useful for quick grocery trips or going to/from the
car or laundry room when I have my hands full but I can't use it
comfortably for long periods), and a backpack (which I LOVE but I just
don't find it practical for all situations).

I agree with others' advice to wait until the baby's here to decide on
a stroller if you can since you'll know much better then what you
need.

Katie

Do I need another stroller? ted General 8 May 27th 04 01:41 PM
picking a stroller Kim E. General 20 May 14th 04 03:05 AM
stroller with narrow base Sara General 11 May 3rd 04 01:48 PM
Baby survives after hit-and-run driver drags stroller a mile Le Mod Pol General 57 February 12th 04 12:17 AM
double stroller advice needed Robert Huwe Pregnancy 1 July 17th 03 02:31 PM