Packing a bag today...

Old April 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Shelly

Default Packing a bag today...

"Auntie Bubbles" wrote in message

"Jill" wrote in message
news

Bag of maxipads.

Not sure I need pads at the hospital, I think they provide them. Packed a
few anyway
Also breast pads.

-I was glad to have a few of my own... I used the hospital ones for my whole
stay - they are HUGE, and you really need them that big at first. But for
the trip home, I switched to one of the biggest- sized Always with wings,
and it worked fine.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure

if
will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

I sleep in jammies with pants, bought two heavy cheap pairs of pants in

dark
colors just for the hospital.

I packed a nightshirt, and didn't end up using it. You are bleeding so much
in the hospital, you might as well use their ugly gowns and let them deal
with the laundry! If the hospital doesn't give you a nursing gown, ask for
one. I happened to mention on the last day that it was hard to nurse with
the regular hospital gown, and that is when I found out they had nursing
gowns. *grrr*

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Same here, we only have to drive 1/2 mile, though, so I don't think we'll
need diapers for the trip.

I'd bring a few receiving blankets, too...one to cover baby, and a couple to
pad the carseat if baby is small. The hospital will probably provide
diapers - and may send any leftovers from your diaper pack home with you -
so you can probably skip those. They will most likely give you a little hat,
too, but you may want to bring one just in case.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a

few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some

change
for vending machines.

Okay, here's where I went maybe overboard. I packed a separate bag with

all
that stuff. It's for DH. I put a deck of cards in it also and all his
phone numbers and little treats that he likes. When we go into the
hospital, that's what we'll take with us, we'll leave the other bag in the
car. He can bring that one to me after the baby comes and I'm settled in

my
room. He can then dump the "labor" bag in the car.

I was really glad to have my own pillows from home...they were definitely
worth having DH lug around. Also, DH went through all of the snacks we
packed, and I nibbled on the protein bars when I saw how disgusting the
hospital food was. Other things we brought and used: a hand massager,
massage lotion, rice packs (for heating in the microwave and applying to
back/belly during labor) and a tennis ball (for back massage). Things we
never used: bottled water (hospital provided) and CDs/CD player (labor went
too fast).

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Your baby??? : )

Coming from the voice of NO experience, sounds like you're doing fine,
Jill!! Isn't it fun?

Your list sounds good. Dont forget the car seat!

-Michelle
mom to Owen 3/17/04

Old April 21st 04, 10:08 PM
Jill

"Nic H" wrote in message
I don't have anything to add or take away from your bag packing ;-) Just
wanted to say, must be exciting! You're nearing the end... I have ages
to go!

It's scary, too! I am only nervous when I let myself be, though. I think I
have everything covered as far as nursery and baby supplies, so that all I
will have to concentrate on is the labor and the baby. People (meaning,
family) told me I didn't have to have all this stuff ready ahead of time but
I am SO glad I have, because now *I* won't have to worry about it, and I
think I also won't have to worry about any shopping for a couple of weeks
after the baby comes. Even my husband said I didn't need to have all this
stuff ahead of time because it's not like the stores aren't open from Day 1.
True....but I don't know if I might have an emergency C or how I will feel
otherwise, and I really don't want to send him out for diapers or breast
cream (lanolin)!

Old April 21st 04, 10:15 PM
Jill

"Sophie" wrote
We live close enough to the hospital for my husband to come home
for something if I really needed it, and I'm there for 4 days.

Same here; so all I am really worried about is him not having to leave
during labor as it's going on near the end. I figure, if I DO want to bring
snacks or water or anything I am not sure is necessary we can leave it out
in the car. Parking is no problem and I see no reason to haul in a bunch of
stuff. I really only want what is necessary. I find it hard to believe the
hospital will let you bring in crackers or bottled water, but if you don't,
won't let someone go to a vending machine and get them for you etc etc. Same
with the pads etc, I'd think the hospital would provide them and I hear
different versions- they give you ones that are fine to they give you ones
with the belt etc. So that's something I figured I'd just bring. I plan to
wear the same outfit home that I arrive in but just in case, packed one
outfit. And the gown, I wasn't sure about either, I'd rather just wear the
hospital's things, but so many people mention one that I threw in one just
in case.

My MIL goes way overboard telling me I need a nice nightgown, a bathrobe,
slippers, etc. I do NOT plan to haul all that!! I don't even wear bathrobes
much if ever. Or "slippers". Or nightgowns, as she is literally talking
about a frilly nightgown, not a sleep tee or something.lol.

Old April 21st 04, 10:47 PM
Shelly

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Anne Rogers"
I suggest you put the minimum in your bag, your dh will have to go home

at
night, so he can bring stuff back the next day. Also, you rarely have to
leave in 2 seconds flat, so you could put a list on top of the bag, with
locations in case your dh has to find things.

My husband spent every night at the hospital with me, with all 3 babies.

Mine, too. And he was so sleepy when we were checked into our regular room
at midnight, that I am glad I didn't have to send him home for anything!

-Michelle

Old April 21st 04, 11:11 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:

1 Outfit to wear home-

I wore home what I wore in. It was a little big but not to bad.

2 more pairs of maternity underwear.

My hospital supplied those net ones, which worked great and I didn't have to
haul bloody underwear home.

Bag of maxipads.

Some hospitals provide those. Mine did.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not
sure if I will even need this?

It is going to be a colossal pain to nurse in a knee length shirt ;-) The
hospital has nursing gowns I used, and I used their robes as well. Hospital
clothes don't bother me. YMMV of course.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo
and travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

Sounds good :-)

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

If I can sit my naked butt in the tub during labor I figure I can put my
bare feet in there, lol.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc?

Check your hospital. I had TV and radio provided. Yummy snacks and drinks
were available for me and my coaches. I guess I'm just not that picky about
my pillow and they bring in more if you ask. If I wasn't laboring, nursing,
or visiting, I was sleeping. If you have enough time to read a book, check
yourself out, lol.

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Sounds good to me! Oh, I think we had a roll of quarters in my purse. This
was nice so we could go to the vending machines when Hunter came, or when
Steve's mom was there. I suppose you could pack snacks but jeeze - what a
pain. The labor snacks were off limits once the kid popped out, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (3)

Old April 21st 04, 11:29 PM
Carla

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:15:09 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I really only want what is necessary. I find it hard to believe the
hospital will let you bring in crackers or bottled water, but if you don't,
won't let someone go to a vending machine and get them for you etc etc. Same
with the pads etc, I'd think the hospital would provide them and I hear
different versions- they give you ones that are fine to they give you ones
with the belt etc. So that's something I figured I'd just bring.

When we went to the child birth classes, they gave us a list of their
guidelines & suggestions of stuff to bring. It even had rules about
using a video camera during the birth (no thanks!!) But if you didn't
or aren't planning on taking the classes, I'm sure that the hospital
has a list on hand in the maternity ward. If you feel you even need
it...there *were* a couple of things on there that I hadn't thought of
(something to massage with, birthing ball, lollipops, popsicles etc)
but most of it *is* just common sense.

My MIL goes way overboard telling me I need a nice nightgown, a bathrobe,
slippers, etc. I do NOT plan to haul all that!! I don't even wear bathrobes
much if ever. Or "slippers". Or nightgowns, as she is literally talking
about a frilly nightgown, not a sleep tee or something.lol.

OMG...! My MIL, my aunt & both my grannys have been telling me this
same thing! I am NOT a gown & slipper person and I don't wear robes
except for right after a shower. All of them keep offering to buy me
a 'matching set' to wear in the hospital (like the only reason I don't
have these things already is because I can't afford them or something)
They seem baffled as to why I keep refusing their offers -- sort of
shocked & appalled that I'm so willing to disgrace the family by
actually being COMFORTABLE while I'm in the hospital. I won't be at
ALL surprised if I suddenly receive a "lovely" frilly gown & robe with
the little matching clicky heeled slippers (like Blanche on Golden
Girls wears) p&g!

Carla
#1 EDD 5/14/04
Old April 22nd 04, 12:44 AM
Donna

"Jill" wrote in message
news

Anyway here is what I plan to pack.

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like!

I'm
not vain.

Sounds great. Frumpy is allowed when you have a newborn.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if

will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

Someone already mentioned this, but I wanted to reinforce: if you are going
to be nursing, think about more nursing-friendly nightwear. Pulling a
knee-length tee up to nurse is going to be a pain.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

Can I make do with that?

Yes, although I would bring a pillow from home in a non-white case. And
books.

Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

Change for the machines is definitely good. I imagine that you can send
your husband home for anything you decide you desperately need, right?

Donna

Have I left anything out that I will really want?

Old April 22nd 04, 12:48 AM
Donna

"Cam & Shane" wrote in message

* Chap stick/ Lip balm

* Hair ties

Oh, just wanted to say that Cam is totally right about her list,
particularly the two items above. If you have long hair, the hair ties are
irreplaceable! I forgot to pack any the first time around, and my hair was
in my eyes for three days.

Donna

Old April 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Nan

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:26:29 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I am packing my bag for the hospital today. It's hard to pack because I am
in week 36, and this bag will probably sit here for 5 weeks. I keep thinking
I will want something that I am packing away. Also I don't want to haul a
bunch of stuff to the hospital- I've been reading bag packing tips both here
and in books/magazines/websites. I'm still not sure how many pairs of
maternity undies to pack- I only own 8-10 pairs. If I pack 3 I'll have to
make it on 5-7 here, which means I'll be washing more often. I take 2
showers a day so I go through 2 pairs a day. TMI?

If you've got "throwaway" panties, I'd pack those instead. By
"throwaway", I mean some older ones you won't feel bad about tossing
to the trash. I bled *alot* (not everyone does), and even the
hospital pads were sufficient. Not to mention my incision seeping and
making a mess. I tossed about half a dozen pair of older panties
during my hospital stay.

Anyway here is what I plan to pack.

1 Outfit to wear home- just sweats and a tee shirt of DH's, and a pair of
sneakers and underwear (panties and nursing camisole). I'll be frumpy but
comfortable. And only thinking about my new baby, not what I look like! I'm
not vain.

2 more pairs of maternity underwear.

Bag of maxipads.

1 knee-length Nightshirt (land's end sleep tee), dark purple. Not sure if I
will even need this? But dark purple so stains won't matter.

Might want to make sure it's breastfeeding accessible, if you plan to
nurse.

Eyeglasses, contact lens solution, deodorant, contact case, shampoo and
travel size Dove soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste.

The hospital should provide bathing essentials, but I preferred my
own, trial sized items.

I have the baby's bag packed with coming home outfit, a onesie, diapers,
blankets etc.

Disposable camera, digital camera with battery charger.

Cam-corder?

Also- 5-6 pairs of socks and flip flops for shower.

I didn't use socks. I took slippers. My private room had a shower,
so flip flops weren't necessary.

Can I make do with that? Or do I REALLY want to bring a walkman and
CD,pillow, snacks, book, bottled water etc? I guess I will stick in a few
snacks- mixed nuts and crackers and maybe a water bottle. and some change
for vending machines.

I took my CD player, but never used it for labor. Some snacks are
good, but check with your doctor to see if they'll let you eat full
meals. My OB let me have anything off the menu at the hospital up
until there was discussion of my getting more intense meds.

Old April 22nd 04, 01:20 AM
Nan

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:22:27 -0600, Jennifer from Colorado
wrote:

My own pillow was nice afterwards because the hospital pillows were
very, very flat and not at all comfy.

Yep, I agree. The pillows at our hospital were plastic and not at all
comfortable. I took 3 of mine from home.

Nan

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
Drat-- panic attack possible today. Jill Pregnancy 6 February 29th 04 02:45 AM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
First Ultrasound Today. I'm nervous! Carol Ann Pregnancy 12 August 23rd 03 03:37 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM