picking a stroller

Old May 10th 04, 05:56 PM
Kim E.

Default picking a stroller

I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

thanks!

-kim edd 7 aug 04
Old May 10th 04, 06:01 PM
Mary W.

"Kim E." wrote:

I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

I hate our travel system stroller (although it functioned fine, it really
was to big). This time I intend to get a universal car seat stroller
from Kolcraft. It's just the wire frame you snap the infant car
seat into. With my first daughter, being able to put her in her
car seat and go for a walk was the only way to get her to nap,
it was a real lifesaver. She was carried quite a bit (we had a
Bjorn), but sometimes it was nice to have a stroller (walks,
mall...).

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

We didn't get our lightweight stroller until DD was over a year, we bought
the Graco Citilite and love it. We intend to move new baby from the
carseat/kolcraft right into the citilite.

Mary

Old May 10th 04, 06:16 PM
jojo

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

thanks!

-kim edd 7 aug 04

I would recommend a graco Metrolight. It is very sturdy and very stable. It
weights very little and
can be opened or closed with one hand. A graco carseat will lock firmly into
it and still be stable.
it WILL fit into the xray machine at the airport.

We have this one MetroLite® 6110DW. (www.garcobaby.com) and love it. Our DS
is currently 20 months old.

We were actually given a Glider® 7441SPT (also by graco) but it was too
cumbersome. Plus when
we needed to travel by air, this model would not fit through the xray
machine and would have to be checked.
Not much good to us through the rest of the airport.

Good Luck.

jojo

Old May 10th 04, 06:47 PM
Sara

Kim E. wrote:

I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

What do you have, if you don't have sidewalks? What are you going to
be using the stroller for? We spend a fair amount of time in a rural
area, and like our jogging stroller for that -- the big wheels mean we
can take it on dirt roads. It's very stable, but it certainly isn't
lightweight.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 10th 04, 06:53 PM
Penny Gaines

Kim E. wrote in t:

[snip]
-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

Lightweight strollers tend to be fairly stable, unless you start loading
up the handles with lots of bags. They are pretty cheap, but not
particularly robust. From what you have said, they sound perfectly
adequete for what you want.

The only problem with slings/baby bjorns is that there is a limit on
how easily you can carry a heavy baby. In my case it was up to about
9 pounds, and hence it lasted ... days for my second child.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 10th 04, 07:37 PM
Mary E. Hill

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
I am trying to figure out what kind of stroller i want, or if i even
need one right away for an infant. Here is some info, pls give me your
opinion/advice!:

-I plan to get a baby Bjorn or wrap to carry the baby for the first few
months.

-I plan to buy an infant carrier that doubles as a car seat

-I do not have sidewalks where I live

-I can't imagine carrying around one of those heavy looking strollers
that goes with the travel system (you can hook the infant carrier into
it, like Graco makes)

-I would love an ultra lightweight stroller to use from 6 mo - 3 yrs but
am concerned about stability (tipping over).

thanks!

-kim edd 7 aug 04

Another thought - do you plan to have another child anytime soon? I
recently bought a double stroller when I had my daughter (my just turned
4-yr-old gets too tired to walk all day at the zoo & such) and pitched our
single for a double stroller - which I absolutely LOVE.

If you do plan another child, maybe keep price in mind so you can upgrade to
a double later on...

Mary

Old May 10th 04, 08:34 PM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

I have one of the travel systems that happen to be on the lighter side its a
Baby Trends Santa Fe. The Stroller without the car seat weighs about 8lbs.
and isn't as wide as other travel systems out there. Of course my little
one out grew her infant car seat at 4 months and I had to go buy her a full
size infant/toddler seat.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
"Mary E. Hill" wrote in message

a.net...

Old May 10th 04, 09:22 PM
Shelly

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
In article ,
says...

What do you have, if you don't have sidewalks?

Gravel roads, grass, dirt and ditches.

What are you going to
be using the stroller for? We spend a fair amount of time in a rural
area, and like our jogging stroller for that -- the big wheels mean we
can take it on dirt roads. It's very stable, but it certainly isn't
lightweight.

I'm not sure what I will be using it for - the occasional trips to the
store and going for walks where there are dirt or grass paths. I think
I'd prefer a front carrier while the baby is little and a back carrier
into toddlerhood, but friends and family seem to keep saying that I'll
need a stroller.

-kim

Hi Kim,
The way you plan to use your stroller sounds similar to the way I use mine.
90% of the time, I have my little critter in a front carrier...the rest of
the time we use a Graco Cirrus. We also do not have sidewalks in our
neighborhood, so we are on paved streets, grass and woodchip paths most of
the time. I find that the Cirrus can handle the rough terrain *almost* as
well as my friends Graco Leisure Sport (jogging stroller) and it is much
lighter than most of the travel systems. I can lift the collapsed stroller
into my trunk with one hand if I have to, and I am not all that strong. Some
of the larger travel systems I had trouble lifting with two hands! The
Cirrus is also reasonably easy to navigate through a big-box store with wide
aisles or through the mall, but smaller shops with narrow aisles are a
little more challenging. Not a big deal for us...I almost always use the
front carrier when we go shopping, and use the stroller only for long walks
in the park or trips to the zoo and like, where I want the stroller basket
to carrier all of our gear anyway. I also like using the stoller as a
bassinet...so I can lay the little guy down for his nap in it out in the
yard while I do yardwork...that way I can wheel him around the yard with me,
and don't have to worry about not hearing him in the house or keeping track
of the baby monitor.

BTW...I think that so far I could probably have gotten away without the
stroller altogether. Most of the time, the carrier is really much easier to
manage.

Good luck!
Michelle

Old May 10th 04, 11:05 PM
Leslie

IF you don't plan on using it much, and if you want some thing light, why not
just buy an umbrella type or something similar? Except for the double stroller
I had when Jake and Teddy were little, I have never owned a stroller that cost
more than $20. And I use my strollers A LOT, because I am a big walker.

Leslie

Do I need another stroller? ted General 8 May 27th 04 01:41 PM
picking a stroller Kim E. General 20 May 14th 04 03:05 AM
stroller with narrow base Sara General 11 May 3rd 04 01:48 PM
Baby survives after hit-and-run driver drags stroller a mile Le Mod Pol General 57 February 11th 04 11:17 PM
double stroller advice needed Robert Huwe Pregnancy 1 July 17th 03 02:31 PM