Litter boxes?

Old August 4th 04, 04:16 PM
Mary S.

Default Litter boxes?

Donna Metler wrote:
My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

With an indoor cat, if he cleans it really well, you should be fine if
you're sure sure sure to scoop it out every day, preferably twice a day.
If it were me, I'd have DH clean the whole pan and start from scratch
(throw away the litter, wash it out with hot water, put new litter in),
and wash your hands with soap after every scooping. And then I'd still
probably call the sitter, or leave the box to fill up until he got home,
if it's only for a few days (but I'm a wee bit paranoid about TP).

80% of toxoplasmosis infections in humans come from eating rare or
undercooked meat (restaurants are often a culprit, too), not litter
boxes, so make sure your kitchen hygiene is perfect. And don't order
stuff rare when you eat out.

Mary S.

Old August 4th 04, 07:39 PM
Nikki

Donna Metler wrote:
My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for
me to scoop the litter boxes

Well, I have one cat and 'for a few days' I'd just leave the thing sit there
until dh came back. :-) My cat isn't really stinky and isn't to finicky
about his litter box either so that would work for me.

However - it sounds like you have more then one cat, more then one box?
They might not like not having it cleaned daily if they are neurotic like
that and or if they are stinky beasties like some, you might not like it,
lol.

If that is the case I'd do it once a day, where gloves, and wash my hands -
obviously ;-).

My doc said I was more likely to get it from the cats actual butt then I was
the box because cats stick their butt's in your face and everyone washes
their hands after cleaning the box but not necessarily after petting the
cat. Of course, my cat doesn't have a poop encrusted butt either :-P.

Or you could have a neighbor kid do it or something but I probably wouldn't
go that far. I cleaned mine a couple times when dh fell down on the job. I
think I held my breath while doing it and pulled my shirt over my face. I'm
thinking that wasn't necessary, lol.

--
Nikki

Old August 4th 04, 08:58 PM
shixa

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 16:01:47 -0500, "Shelly"
wrote:

My pregnancy was the only time in 8
years of marriage that I have gotten DH to change the litter box. It was
wonderful, and it ended the day our son was born. If I had changed it even
once while I was pregnant, I am sure he would've stopped sooner.

That's funny, it's just the opposite for me. My husband started
changing it when I found out I was pregnant and now it's just part of
his usual routine. I've got enough crap to do without worrying about
that!

Carla
Mom to Victor Paul born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old August 5th 04, 12:51 AM
Shelly

wrote:

My pregnancy was the only time in 8
years of marriage that I have gotten DH to change the litter box. It was
wonderful, and it ended the day our son was born. If I had changed it

even
once while I was pregnant, I am sure he would've stopped sooner.

That's funny, it's just the opposite for me. My husband started
changing it when I found out I was pregnant and now it's just part of
his usual routine. I've got enough crap to do without worrying about
that!

Oh, I am sooo jealous. That is exactly what I was hoping would happen in our
house!

-Michelle