Behavior and attitude of modern teens, particularly girls

Old May 6th 07, 11:58 AM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
HiC

Default Behavior and attitude of modern teens, particularly girls

I do substituting in public schools. I get the impression that teens
seem different today. Besides the whole pants around the ass,
shuffling ghetto attitude, I'm struck by the attitude and comportment
of a large number of teen girls - what nasty, surly, outright
malevolent pieces of work so many of them are. They dress like
hookers, use "mother****er" as casual speech, etc..

I wrote up a couple of the little princesses the other day. One for
repeated language issues, and she not only absolutely denied it - even
after going on a swearing binge when I advised her she was getting a
referral - but I overheard her telling her friends "This is ****in'
bull****, I'm gonna tell them he touched me". I wrote a follow-up
note to the administration advising them of this. Supposedly this
girl's parents are attorneys, she's not some trailer-park kid. Very
disturbing that their minds run in that direction - their first
instinct is to lie and lash out rather than take responsibility for
their behavior.

Another went on a "**** you mutha****in asshole" etc. etc. tirade as
she was leaving the room with a referral.

Yep, sugar and spice....

While it's not every kid, this kind of behavior isn't at all rare. And
this isn't some inner-city school, it's a suburban area in Florida.
They do it with administrators too. I have to wonder how do they go
through 9 - 12 years of the school system with the idea that it's okay
to behave this way?

Old May 6th 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Rowley

HiC wrote:
I do substituting in public schools. I get the impression that teens
seem different today.

Different than what? When? What comparison are you using?

Besides the whole pants around the ass,
shuffling ghetto attitude, I'm struck by the attitude and comportment
of a large number of teen girls - what nasty, surly, outright
malevolent pieces of work so many of them are. They dress like
hookers, use "mother****er" as casual speech, etc..

I would hazard a guess if you could time travel back to any other period
of time previous, and talked with teachers back then - they would be
saying pretty much the same thing, with the exception what the teenagers
were doing being different. What has changed is acceptable and at what
level. I know I have some kids that don't even realize that what they
are saying in class is unacceptable.

I wrote up a couple of the little princesses the other day. One for
repeated language issues, and she not only absolutely denied it - even
after going on a swearing binge when I advised her she was getting a
referral - but I overheard her telling her friends "This is ****in'
bull****, I'm gonna tell them he touched me".

The problem is that's how the system works - which isn't something the
kids themselves created. Why shouldn't the "little princesses" play the
system if it works for them?

I wrote a follow-up
note to the administration advising them of this. Supposedly this
girl's parents are attorneys, she's not some trailer-park kid. Very
disturbing that their minds run in that direction - their first
instinct is to lie and lash out rather than take responsibility for
their behavior.

Might be disturbing - but it works for them. Basic biology/psychology -
if something works, then adapt to it. Skunks when threatened, turn and
spray a disgusting smelling liquid out their backsides - that's
disturbing - but it works.

Another went on a "**** you mutha****in asshole" etc. etc. tirade as
she was leaving the room with a referral.

And what do you think is going to be the consequences for having done
that? Probably not as much as you would think (or hoped). Why did she do
it? My guess is to cause as much disruption of the class as possible -
if enough kids do something like this enough times - then what usually
happens is the teachers start reevaluating the "costs" of writing kids
up for such things. There are going to be a few teachers out there that
will end up just ignoring the in-class language.

Yep, sugar and spice....

While it's not every kid, this kind of behavior isn't at all rare. And
this isn't some inner-city school, it's a suburban area in Florida.

Not all inner-city schools fit the stereotype that you are alluding to,
just the same as not all suburban schools are prefect.

They do it with administrators too. I have to wonder how do they go
through 9 - 12 years of the school system with the idea that it's okay
to behave this way?

Because they can. We let them. It's as simple as that.

Martin

Old May 6th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Don K

"HiC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I suggest you keep a mp3 voice recorder in your shirt pocket running
while you teach your classes, just to help you "optimize" your lesson
presentations. . A side benefit will be that if some unfounded accusations
are made, you will have proof they are bogus and may even be able to seek
damages from the parents.

For instance, you can buy a Sandisk Sansa 1GB mp3 player/recorder/fm radio
for under 50 bucks.
http://base.google.com/base/a/105398...91574347547350

Don

Old May 6th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Rosalie B.

HiC wrote:

I do substituting in public schools. I get the impression that teens
seem different today. Besides the whole pants around the ass,
shuffling ghetto attitude, I'm struck by the attitude and comportment
of a large number of teen girls - what nasty, surly, outright
malevolent pieces of work so many of them are. They dress like
hookers, use "mother****er" as casual speech, etc..

snip

It is hard to be a substitute. The kids will always test you. That's
not new.

I had a substitute when I was in 9th grade science (1951) and the
class was completely out of hand. It was confined to the room, but
there was no other restriction and no teaching or learning. The boys
teased one of the girls to tears. When my mother complained, the
principal admitted that we would have learned more if they had turned
us out onto the athletic fields. We got another substitute - an
ex-Marine - and he got the class settled down.

Right after I got married (1959) I was a long term sub in a Florida
school, and the principal talked to me before I started and told me
that if I had any problem with people questioning my authority, that I
should come directly to him. And I had no problem as long as I worked
in that school.

When I was in my mid 20s (in the mid 60s), my mom and I used to
substitute. My mom loved going to the schools that had mostly a blue
collar population. She hated going to the school around the corner
from us where the doctors and lawyers children went. Even in those
days, there was no discipline in that school (which is where I went to
school)

In the mid 70s I was substitute teacher (before I got my certificate)
and one of the girls answered a 9th grade science quiz question (What
causes scale deposits in tea kettles) with "It's bacteria and ****
like that in the water". This was a written quiz, and her friend
copied her answer so I had two papers with the same answer. I gave
them both a zero for the quiz for cheating (not for the language) even
though the answer had an element of truth in it. (They wanted to know
how I knew that they had copied)

While it's not every kid, this kind of behavior isn't at all rare. And
this isn't some inner-city school, it's a suburban area in Florida.
They do it with administrators too. I have to wonder how do they go
through 9 - 12 years of the school system with the idea that it's okay
to behave this way?

It is because the administration is spineless and does not support the
teachers - the child is always right and their psyche must be handled
gently - discipline is wrong and will damage them.. Friends of mine
from when I was a teacher, who have been teaching and successful for
many years retired early to get away from this. Most of the good
teachers are looking forward to getting out.

Old May 6th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Rowley

Keep in mind - that it's against the law in some (most?) states to do
audio recording without the permission / knowledge of all parties.

Martin

Don K wrote:
ups.com...

Old May 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Don K

Actually most states and the federal law require only one party consent for
recording conversations.

But in this case the stated intent is to record your own teaching methods not
conversations. Any nearby conversation within audio range that gets recorded
is just coincidental and unintentional.

Personally I'd rather have hard exculpatory evidence when facing
fabricated charges than worry about technicalities which are arguable.

Don

"Rowley" wrote in message ...
Keep in mind - that it's against the law in some (most?) states to do audio recording
without the permission / knowledge of all parties.

Martin

Don K wrote:
ups.com...

Old May 6th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
R. Steve Walz

HiC wrote:

[...]

---------------------
If you write up ANYBODY for THEIR SPEECH, I hope you DIE!!
We need to DESTROY your kind of **** for this to become America again!!
You deserve ANYTHING those girls can do to you.
ANYTHING!
Steve
Old May 6th 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
Steve Daniels

On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:24:04 -0700, against all advice, something
compelled "R. Steve Walz" , to say:

HiC wrote:

[...]

Wow.

A flasher, a bit of turkey feather, *and* a treble hook.

Don't you think that's a bit of overkill there, dude?
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old May 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
R. Steve Walz

HiC wrote:

[...]

--------------------
No.

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

-----------------------
No. And that's why, it's just another "cheap guitar".
Steve
Old May 6th 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids,alt.education,k12.chat.teacher
SumBuny

"HiC" wrote in message
ups.com...
I do substituting in public schools. I get the impression that teens
seem different today. Besides the whole pants around the ass,
shuffling ghetto attitude, I'm struck by the attitude and comportment
of a large number of teen girls - what nasty, surly, outright
malevolent pieces of work so many of them are. They dress like
hookers, use "mother****er" as casual speech, etc..

I wrote up a couple of the little princesses the other day. One for
repeated language issues, and she not only absolutely denied it - even
after going on a swearing binge when I advised her she was getting a
referral - but I overheard her telling her friends "This is ****in'
bull****, I'm gonna tell them he touched me". I wrote a follow-up
note to the administration advising them of this. Supposedly this
girl's parents are attorneys, she's not some trailer-park kid.

Really....one of the lessons here is that not all "upper class kids" are
polite and nice and well behaved....and not all "trailer-park kids" are
poorly behaved either.

Very
disturbing that their minds run in that direction - their first
instinct is to lie and lash out rather than take responsibility for
their behavior.

Another went on a "**** you mutha****in asshole" etc. etc. tirade as
she was leaving the room with a referral.

Yep, sugar and spice....

While it's not every kid, this kind of behavior isn't at all rare. And
this isn't some inner-city school, it's a suburban area in Florida.
They do it with administrators too. I have to wonder how do they go
through 9 - 12 years of the school system with the idea that it's okay
to behave this way?

Again, I see a similar attitude...."this isn't some inner-city school, its a
suburban area in Florida." Well, I also live in a suburban area in Florida,
I tutor at-risk kids that come from all areas--inner-city, rural,
suburbs....none of them can be assUmed to be anything based on where they
live or what they look like...we do not like it when people do that to us,
why should we be doing that to our students?

--
Buny
--Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be

Youtube soft porn made by teens for teens Greegor Spanking 30 November 25th 06 03:25 AM
same as "bad attitude", but different jojo General 36 May 14th 05 06:15 PM
Bad Attitude! Chookie General 1 May 10th 05 03:24 PM