Max pumping time

Old September 3rd 03, 07:28 PM
ted

Default Max pumping time

Is there a reason why several sources on pumping mention that the
maximum time at each session using any type of pump should be no more
than 30 min? Is to ensure the mom doesn't develop over active letdown?
Or is it because or some other reason I don't know?

I'm one of those who has never seen an OAL. I experienced engorgement
but not where I had pain/plugged ducts or such stuff. I have letdowns
few minutes into nursing/pumping. So does this 30 min limit apply for
moms like me too?

Thanks.
Old September 4th 03, 12:50 AM
calliaz

ted wrote:

Is there a reason why several sources on pumping mention that the
maximum time at each session using any type of pump should be no more
than 30 min? Is to ensure the mom doesn't develop over active letdown?
Or is it because or some other reason I don't know?

I'm one of those who has never seen an OAL. I experienced engorgement
but not where I had pain/plugged ducts or such stuff. I have letdowns
few minutes into nursing/pumping. So does this 30 min limit apply for
moms like me too?

Thanks.

Being a BFAR mom, I'm a bit different; however, I've never
had a problem pumping for 30+ mins. My IBCLC first told me
to stop after 15, but when we discussed how much more I got
when I went for a longer time, she told me just to stop when
I didn't see any drops for 30 seconds. I usually have to
pump 30 mins to get enough to make the session worthwhile.

Jennifer in AZ
EPing for Carter, 6.5 months
Old September 4th 03, 02:17 AM
JoFromOz

I think it is more so that you don't damage your nipples/breast tissue.

Pumps aren't really made to get milk out like babies are - so a 30 min
pumping session isn't like a 30 min feeding session, as a baby (with a
correct attachment and suck, etc) is more gentle.

Jo

Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.
om...