Starting Kindergarten

Old August 5th 03, 05:34 PM
Teri

Default Starting Kindergarten

"Mamasamba" wrote in message
My dd will be starting kindergarten in a few weeks. Does anyone have
any advice on how best to prepare her for it?
--
Margie

We're starting Kindergarten too. My son, tho', is showing some signs of
anxiety. We're kind of low profile about it here at home - but it seems
everywhere we go *someone* is making a big deal about it - Dentist: Oh, is
this the *kindergarten* check-up? (no, well, yes - just scheduled visit, ya
know) Dr. Oh, is this the *kindergarten* checkup? (no, well, yes - just
scheduled well-visit). The World: Are you excited for *kindergarten* - did
you get your *kindergarten* back pack. etc etc. I think the emphasis on
the word kindergarten is kind of stressing him out (as in, 'don't sign me up
mom, I don't want to go' ... when he really loves school). We've been
taking him to the playground on the school grounds to get him comfortable
there - making it seem like a familiar place. Also - trying to make a point
to walk around the neighbor hood and get together with the children who will
be attending his school. We have lots of friends who aren't in our
district --- so we're trying to find people who are. Good luck, Margie.
Teri

Old August 5th 03, 10:36 PM
Beth Kevles

Getting ready for kindergarten ...

If the school offers an orientation, attend it. If they don't, try to
visit the school before classes start.

Talk about what they'll do in kindergarten. If you know a first grader
from the school, ask about the daily schedule. (It should be something
like walk in, put away belongings, circle time, pledge of allegiance,
etc.)

If you know any other entering kindergarteners, make playdates with
them.

As far as possible, make sure he feels as though he knows what
kindergarten will be like. (Hence going through the schedule, meeting
friends, attending orientation.)

I took both my kids to school the first few days, and then switched to
the schoolbus. (I was just as curious about their kindergarten as they
were!)

I hope he has fun. He probably will.
--Beth Kevles