potty training

Old August 5th 03, 08:11 PM
lynn

Default potty training

In article szSXa.71453$Ho3.10493@sccrnsc03,
"toypup" wrote:

DS is 2yo. He can't tell me when he wants to go, he isn't bothered by dirty
diapers. He's not interested in the toilet, except to flush it and play in
the water. I've been having him sit on the potty before bathtime, because
if he were going to pee, I'd rather he do it there than in the tub, and I
thought he could get used to the idea before potty training time comes.
This week, he's peed in it twice. Today, I told him to pee in the potty and
he looked down as if concentrating and peed. I was so excited. Does this
mean he's nearly ready to potty train or is it just coincidence? I'm really
in no rush, but if it's a sign that I should start something else, I will.
Anyway, how do you gals with boys potty train? Do you have them always sit
down in the beginning? I heard that was easier. DH doesn't want to let him
watch, because last time he did it, DS wanted to play with the stream. He
only sees me go, so sitting down might seem more natural to him.

Maybe. My 2.5 year old DS has been doing this for a couple of months,
but we tried him in underwear last week and he doesn't seem to notice
that he has to pee before he does. So I'm waiting a little longer. I
suggest you keep doing what you're doing, at bathtime and maybe after
every diaper change, offer peeing in the potty before you put a clean
diaper on. That's what we do, and he gets a sticker every time he does.
He usually gets 1 or 2 stickers a day, so he's got the voluntary peeing
down, but I'm not sure how to get to the hold it till you're on the
potty part.

At 2 he was standing up to pee in the bath. I started holding the potty
bowl in front of him when he stood up, so he peed in it, but then I got
him to learn to pee sitting down, since it's easier (less messy) when
they're little. It's also what they do at daycare, and he's practicing
there too.

- Lynn
Old August 5th 03, 10:31 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

If you're interested in potty training, and think your son might be,
then get rid of the diapers (except while sleeping) and let him run
around bare-bottomed for 5 days. (It's great to do this in the summer,
since you don't have to worry about cleaning the floor when you're
outside.) Have a portable potty handy and encourage its use (ie, reward
with a chocolate chip for success) but NOT negative pressure for failure
to use the potty. Instead, just clean it quietly.

With our boys, we trained standing up. They LOVE to aim. (We bought a
mini potty with a star inside. The star only showed up when covered
with warm urine. Or warm water, but we didn't tell the kids that.)
They can also aim at colored tissue paper bits, or whatever. When
outdoors, in the early days of training, we told them they could pee in
the bushes, and the rule was they had to pee where NOBODY would be
walking or playing.

It took about 4-5 days of constant accidents, but with no negative
repercussions and no pressure, they understood what to do within 5
days. After that it was a matter of attending to the details. (Get your
pants down far enough, remember to aim every time, flush, wash hands,
tell a parent at least 2 minutes before it's an emergency ... that kind
of stuff.)

We trained 'em when they were about 2 1/2. No problems. Your mileage
may vary, of course.
--Beth Kevles

Old August 5th 03, 10:32 PM
Daye

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:20:08 GMT, "toypup" wrote:

DH doesn't want to let him
watch, because last time he did it, DS wanted to play with the stream. He
only sees me go, so sitting down might seem more natural to him.

I think trying to play with the stream is normal. When DD watches her
Dad go to the toilet, she tries to play with it too.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 5th 03, 10:36 PM
Sue

It's still pretty early and I would think that it is conincidence. However,
putting him on the potty during the day certainly won't hurt as long as he
is willing. I would have no expectations that this is it though. When kids
are truly ready, potty training happens very quickly.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 6th 03, 12:53 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Anyway, how do you gals with boys potty train? Do you have them always sit
down in the beginning? I heard that was easier. DH doesn't want to let him
watch, because last time he did it, DS wanted to play with the stream. He
only sees me go, so sitting down might seem more natural to him.

My son sat down to start with, and then was shown how to stand up.
I think your DH will have to get used to your son being with him as he's
bound to have to take him to the loo when you're not around at some
point. Part of learning to use the loo is knowing that wee and poo
belongs in the loo because we don't need it and that it is not something
we play with. It's a natural instinct to find our excrement distasteful,
but of course you want to find a balance between him not wanting
anything to do with it and learning what it is.

Mary Ann

Old August 6th 03, 02:39 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

One thing I forgot to say in my previous post (about going bare-bottomed
for a week, if you can deal with that.) If, after a week (or 5 days)
you see no progress, or if at any time your child becomes distressed
about making a mess on the floor/ground rather than in the potty, go
back to diapers. Keep it low key. If he's not ready, he's not ready,
and there should be no negative repercussions so that you can try again
in a few months.

--Beth Kevles

Old August 6th 03, 04:41 PM
toypup

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

One thing I forgot to say in my previous post (about going bare-bottomed
for a week, if you can deal with that.) If, after a week (or 5 days)
you see no progress, or if at any time your child becomes distressed
about making a mess on the floor/ground rather than in the potty, go
back to diapers. Keep it low key. If he's not ready, he's not ready,
and there should be no negative repercussions so that you can try again
in a few months.

I'll have to think about bare-bottom. We have wall-to-wall carpeting
throughout most of our home. I'd rather the process take longer than be so
messy. Anyone have success going straight from diaper to potty or pull-ups
to potty or cloth training pants to potty?

Old August 6th 03, 06:01 PM
Ericka Kammerer

toypup wrote:

I'll have to think about bare-bottom. We have wall-to-wall carpeting
throughout most of our home. I'd rather the process take longer than be so
messy. Anyone have success going straight from diaper to potty or pull-ups
to potty or cloth training pants to potty?

I do think if you wait long enough, you have very
few accidents--but there are some downsides in that the
process can be more traumatic in some ways. Sometimes
that "window of opportunity" where the child is
enthusiastic and willing happens when their control isn't
100 percent there yet and they still need a bit of
learning to get it all right.
With my first, he was very recalcitrant about
potty training. We were pretty laid back about it
until he was nearing four years old and was having
urinary tract infections. At that point, we eventually
just said that was it, no more pullups. He went cold
turkey with nary an accident. We knew he was totally
in control. He just didn't want to commit to the potty.
With number two, who had the example of a big
brother and a mean competitive streak, he got to the
point where he just insisted he didn't need diapers
anymore. We told him if he could keep them dry, he
could go to underwear. He did. He was quite
successful, but had a few accidents. I think that
was mostly because his temperment was such that he
just hated to interrupt his playing to attend to
something so uninteresting. Still, they were few
and far between.
I'm sure in both cases the kids could have
been potty trained earlier, but frankly I was partly
too lazy and partly didn't have any interest in
pushing the issue. I'm not unhappy with the way it
worked out, in that potty training itself was pretty
much effortless, but we spent a lot longer dealing
with diapers or pullups than we likely would have.
I suppose it depends on where your priorities are ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 6th 03, 10:37 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

toypup wrote:

I'll have to think about bare-bottom. We have wall-to-wall carpeting
throughout most of our home. I'd rather the process take longer than be so
messy. Anyone have success going straight from diaper to potty or pull-ups
to potty or cloth training pants to potty?

I didn't do bare bottom, even though I guess I could have because we
didn't have wall to wall carpet. And my children ARE trained even
though we didn't do it.

My first one, my mom trained because for some reason I was gone at the
time, and she decided it was time and did it. I don't know how, I
wasn't there. I think dd#1 was very cooperative.
snip

With number two, who had the example of a big
brother and a mean competitive streak, he got to the
point where he just insisted he didn't need diapers
anymore. We told him if he could keep them dry, he
could go to underwear. He did. He was quite
successful, but had a few accidents. I think that
was mostly because his temperment was such that he
just hated to interrupt his playing to attend to
something so uninteresting. Still, they were few
and far between.

This was exactly like dd#2. She could stay dry for eons, but did not
want to use the potty. The minute we told her that she could do
something with her big sister if she was trained --- she was trained.
She was 2.5 at the time. She had maybe one accident at pre-school and
that was all.
I'm sure in both cases the kids could have
been potty trained earlier, but frankly I was partly
too lazy and partly didn't have any interest in
pushing the issue. I'm not unhappy with the way it

That was me too - probably why my mom took her opportunity to train
#1.

worked out, in that potty training itself was pretty
much effortless, but we spent a lot longer dealing
with diapers or pullups than we likely would have.
I suppose it depends on where your priorities are ;-)

Since I had two that were 2 years apart, I had the diapers anyway for
#2 and I didn't really care that much about whether they were in
diapers or not.

We did not have such a thing as pullups. We did have very big thick
cloth panties as thick as a diaper. We called them training pants. I
think that would be better than pullups personally but I've never used
pullups.

grandma Rosalie