POLL: Refusing Crib

Old November 11th 03, 05:25 PM
Allie

Default POLL: Refusing Crib

About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib:
How did they communicate this refusal?
Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?
Your response?
If it wasn't clear initially what the issue was, how did you determine
that a new sleep area would be the solution? Floor, moving matress,
whatever.
What was the transition to a bed like?

Thanks!
Allie
Old November 11th 03, 05:51 PM
Banty

In article , Allie says...

About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib:

My son never refused the crib. I simply changed him from his crib to a twin
size platform bed on his third birthday.

How did they communicate this refusal?

N/A

Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?

At three, he could have communicated a dislike for the crib.

Your response?

N/A

If it wasn't clear initially what the issue was, how did you determine
that a new sleep area would be the solution? Floor, moving matress,
whatever.

N/A - regarding the bed choice, I saw no reason for a transitional or 'toddler'
bed, so I brought in the platform bed that he'll use for the rest of the time
he's growing up (at least).

What was the transition to a bed like?

Amicable, easy. I fixed up the room, and made the transition a birthday event.

Banty

Old November 11th 03, 07:03 PM
rebecca high

All three of them climbed out when they were about a year old (the middle
son at 10 months). Once they figure out how to do this, they do it
repeatedly. I guess you can call that refusing a crib!
At that point it was a safety issue, so we took off the side and converted
it to a bed . We had a crib-to-bed setup (I think it was made by Kolcraft?)
, great product, we bought it used, and it lasted through three boys -
we're still using the chest of drawers that came with the set.

Old November 11th 03, 08:42 PM
Nikki

Default Refusing Crib

#1 - 3 days ;-)
#2 - We did part crib and part co-sleeping. We got rid of the crib around
14 months.

How did they communicate this refusal?

#1 - screamed blue murder the entire time he was in there....would not sleep
for more then 5 minutes in there.
#2 - As he became able to fall asleep in our bed, and then let me get up in
a reasonable amount of time....I just quit using the crib. So that wasn't
really a refusal.

Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?

No

Your response?

I went to co-sleeping at 2-3 weeks with #1.

What was the transition to a bed like?

Transition from our bed to their own bed has been very slow, with ups and
downs, and is not complete yet. I am happy with our situation right now
though. I won't bore you with the details :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old November 12th 03, 09:12 AM
0tterbot

"Allie" wrote in message
om...
About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib:
How did they communicate this refusal?
Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?
Your response?
If it wasn't clear initially what the issue was, how did you determine
that a new sleep area would be the solution? Floor, moving matress,
whatever.
What was the transition to a bed like?

my little one was never really happy in his cot - he used it from about 7
months to about 16-18 months when i finally got the wit to just put him in a
bed of his own. (as a 0 - 7 m.o. he slept with me in my bed, & was a fairly
terrible sleeper, gah!).

he LOVED getting his bed & while i hadn't really realised he disliked his
cot when he was still using it, the difference once he was in a bed instead
was remarkable. perhaps he felt "trapped" or something, but he slept in the
cot & i thought he was fine, but with the bed he was considerably finer in
comparison & started to enjoy going to bed much more (& still enjoys going
to bed).
kylie

Old November 12th 03, 03:06 PM
Sharon

(Allie) wrote in message . com...
About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib: 11 months

How did they communicate this refusal?

Refused to sleep - even when put in the crib, he would immediately
wake, stand up, start to cry.

Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?

Yes, not so much with words but with body language.

Your response?

Took down the crib, bought a double futon mattress, put it at the foot
of our bed, and DS happily slept there - occassionally by himself,
sometimes with me or my DH.

What was the transition to a bed like?

Piece of cake. Actually, James never slept very well in his crib - he
never napped in it (preferring our bed) and honestly, from about 3
months to 11 months we had a whole combo of sleeping arrangements:
crib, our bed, couch, living room floor, with Mommy or Daddy, without,
you name it, we tried it! In retrospect, I wish we had moved to the
double futon earlier - it was really roomy, more comfortable than our
bed, and large enough and low to the floor that I never worried about
him rolling off (and he never did). At 3 1/2 he still sleeps on it,
although it is now in his own room. And suprisingly, we never had
problems with him getting up and wandering around through the house
while DH and I slept - although I think this says more about his
personality than anything else.

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December
Old November 12th 03, 08:05 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes rebecca high wrote:

All three of them climbed out when they were about a year old (the middle
son at 10 months). Once they figure out how to do this, they do it
repeatedly. I guess you can call that refusing a crib!
At that point it was a safety issue, so we took off the side and converted
it to a bed . We had a crib-to-bed setup (I think it was made by Kolcraft?)
, great product, we bought it used, and it lasted through three boys -
we're still using the chest of drawers that came with the set.

My oldest climbed out once at 25 months, and then remained happily in
the crib until I moved her out to use it for #2. #2 was in a Dennis
Brown splint and couldn't get out of the crib or otherwise she would
have done I feel sure. DD#3 I don't remember. DS also climbed out -
and also back in again. So the only way I knew that he'd been out was
by observing things he'd done while out.

Allie wrote:

About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib:
How did they communicate this refusal?
Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?
Your response?
If it wasn't clear initially what the issue was, how did you determine
that a new sleep area would be the solution? Floor, moving matress,
whatever.
What was the transition to a bed like?

Thanks!
Allie

grandma Rosalie
Old November 12th 03, 10:38 PM
Bev Brandt

(chiam margalit) wrote in message . com...
(Allie) wrote in message . com...
About kids that moved to a big bed or the floor, etc on their own
timetable by refusing the crib.

Age your child refused the crib:

Never

snicker

I had to pry the crib out of my older kids' cold hands because with
those two, another baby was on the way. With youngest, I still had to
pry because oldest's HUGE pal had broken one of the rails by *getting*
*in* (this is an 8 year old the size of a 13 year old) and jumping
around.

We moved the big bed in, coaxed youngest to sleep there at least 90%
of the time - this over the course of months. Then we took the crib
apart. The crib was leaning against the wall for a while because we
only have bulky item trash pickup every quarter or so. Youngest still
HOWLED when we took the broken, disassembled crib out of his room.

Never, indeed.

Were they verbal during the day, able to communicate what they wantes?

uh YEAH. They were speaking fluently by 3.

"No take my 'cage!'" (His term, not mine! And he used it lovingly...)

What was the transition to a bed like?

Oh, besides the constant wandering, no problem at all.

Pfeh! Our "transition" to the big bed is incomplete. Youngest still
comes in our room almost every night and snuggles between us in the
space between the pillows he calls his "wittle hole." So our
tranisition was from his cage, to his hole.

He's a happy child, believe it or not.

- Bev
Old November 13th 03, 03:29 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Bev Brandt wrote:

"No take my 'cage!'" (His term, not mine! And he used it lovingly...)

When we visited the cousins, one of them explained to me that Evan could
sleep in the "baby jail" in her sister's room She was about 4 or 5 at
the time.

--Robyn