Kindergarten lunch containers

Old June 26th 04, 02:27 AM
AT

Default Kindergarten lunch containers

Hi everyone. I know it's a little early to start thinking about school
again, but for those of you who had/have kindergarteners that go full day,
what did they carry their lunches in?

DD and I were talking yesterday about school and what she would be
learning/doing. When I mentioned that she would be eating luch at school,
she said she didn't have a lunch box. It got me thinking what do kids now
carry their lunches in....insulated lunch bag, brown bag, insulated cloth
lunch box?

While we're at it..favorite luches that pack well?

TIA,
Amy

Old June 26th 04, 03:09 AM
Ericka Kammerer

AT wrote:

Hi everyone. I know it's a little early to start thinking about school
again, but for those of you who had/have kindergarteners that go full day,
what did they carry their lunches in?

DD and I were talking yesterday about school and what she would be
learning/doing. When I mentioned that she would be eating luch at school,
she said she didn't have a lunch box. It got me thinking what do kids now
carry their lunches in....insulated lunch bag, brown bag, insulated cloth
lunch box?

When my kids take lunch, they have a Lands End
insulated lunch box that has held up well over the years
and seems to work fine. Honestly, though, it got much
more of a workout in preschool and camps. Both my kids
have no interest in packing lunch, and I have no interest
in making it ;-) They buy lunch at school. It's not
the most cost effective thing in the universe, I'm sure,
but it's not all that expensive either and it's a whole
lot less work and aggravation.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 26th 04, 05:10 AM
Laura Brooks

"AT" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I know it's a little early to start thinking about school
again, but for those of you who had/have kindergarteners that go full day,
what did they carry their lunches in?

Something like the stuff you can get he
http://store.yahoo.com/lunchboxshop/index.html

Although I think we just got ours at Wal-mart or Target. Both of mine have
the soft-sided kind that have soft, shiny plastic on the front (my DD has
Spongebob and DS has Spiderman), and the inside looks sort of like a soft
cooler.

While we're at it..favorite luches that pack well?

My daughter had PB (no J) sandwiches every day for 3 years (we did OFFER
other stuff), but has finally gotten tired of it this last year and switched
to mostly leftovers. They seemed to keep OK in the lunchbox, with a cold
box of OJ and often a container of yogurt. She didn't get to eat until
12:45, and they weren't refrigerated.

Laura

Old June 26th 04, 12:35 PM
Sue

AT wrote in message
It got me thinking what do kids now carry their lunches in....insulated

lunch bag, brown bag, insulated cloth lunch box?

The girls take lunch boxes. I have bought lunch boxes that have their
favorite character on them or now that they are older, the more prettier
ones with flowers or butterflies on them. I will pass on a little tidbit to
you though, the plastic lunch boxes don't hold up very long at all and you
might find yourself having to get another one before the year is up. The
lunch boxes that zip around are much more sturdier and have lasted longer
than the kids wanted the lunch box.

As for ideas for lunches, here is what my girls usually take.

Sandwiches like PB&J, ham, turkey, bologna, salami either on bread or rolled
up in a tortilla.

Some kind of crunchy thing, like crackers and cheese, chips, Cheezits. You
get the idea.

A fruit of some kind and a dessert.

In the winter, sometimes I pack soup. Just buy a small thermos that fits
into the lunch box and you're good to go. Leftovers that were easy to eat.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 26th 04, 12:47 PM
Sophie

Something like the stuff you can get he
http://store.yahoo.com/lunchboxshop/index.html

Although I think we just got ours at Wal-mart or Target. Both of mine

have
the soft-sided kind that have soft, shiny plastic on the front (my DD has
Spongebob and DS has Spiderman), and the inside looks sort of like a soft
cooler.

That's what my daughter has too - a soft insulated lunch box. Hers was from
Walmart, purple with ladybugs. And it came with 2 of those blue squishy
cold/ice pack things.

I have one of those Campbells Soup thermoses (intending to give her crockpot
leftovers like beef stew) in the winter but never did.

While we're at it..favorite luches that pack well?

My daughter had PB (no J) sandwiches every day for 3 years (we did OFFER
other stuff), but has finally gotten tired of it this last year and

switched
to mostly leftovers. They seemed to keep OK in the lunchbox, with a cold
box of OJ and often a container of yogurt. She didn't get to eat until
12:45, and they weren't refrigerated.

Laura

PB&J too, or cream cheese sandwiches. With pretzels, or fruit, or a
drinkable yogurt, or peanut butter crackers, chocolate milk box.

Old June 26th 04, 12:53 PM
dejablues

"Sue" wrote in message
AT wrote in message
It got me thinking what do kids now carry their lunches in....insulated

lunch bag, brown bag, insulated cloth lunch box?

The girls take lunch boxes. I have bought lunch boxes that have their
favorite character on them or now that they are older, the more prettier
ones with flowers or butterflies on them. I will pass on a little tidbit

you though, the plastic lunch boxes don't hold up very long at all and you
might find yourself having to get another one before the year is up. The
lunch boxes that zip around are much more sturdier and have lasted longer
than the kids wanted the lunch box.

The soft-sided ones are also easy to wash in the washing machine.

Old June 26th 04, 04:33 PM
LFortier

AT wrote:
Hi everyone. I know it's a little early to start thinking about school
again, but for those of you who had/have kindergarteners that go full day,
what did they carry their lunches in?

DD and I were talking yesterday about school and what she would be
learning/doing. When I mentioned that she would be eating luch at school,
she said she didn't have a lunch box. It got me thinking what do kids now
carry their lunches in....insulated lunch bag, brown bag, insulated cloth
lunch box?

While we're at it..favorite luches that pack well?

TIA,
Amy

Just a plain old lunch box, insulated or not. My current
pet peeve is that so few lunch boxes come with a thermos
anymore - and I refuse to buy juice boxes.

We pack whatever they usually eat at home - sandwich, fruit,
soup or whatever in a small thermos.

Lesley

Old June 27th 04, 04:46 AM
Laura Brooks

Just a plain old lunch box, insulated or not. My current
pet peeve is that so few lunch boxes come with a thermos
anymore - and I refuse to buy juice boxes.

I think ours came with thermoses, but we stopped using them pretty quickly.
If I put the lid on tight enough to prevent spilling, the kids had trouble
getting them open. Then they never put them on tight enough after lunch, so
whatever was left tended to come out in the lunchbox and make a mess. :-P

Laura

Old June 27th 04, 04:49 AM
Tori M.

Just a plain old lunch box, insulated or not. My current
pet peeve is that so few lunch boxes come with a thermos
anymore - and I refuse to buy juice boxes.

We pack whatever they usually eat at home - sandwich, fruit,
soup or whatever in a small thermos.

Lesley

Would those little strawed type rubbermaid containers work? We always lost
peices of our thermoses so my mom never really bothered to use them. One
neat thing about Juice boxes is that you can freeze them and use them
instead of a ice pack... one less thing to lose

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04